Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2014, 01:33   #1156
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

It's not illegal, it's just breaking T&C's of the content providers.

Am surprised it's allowed to be even discussed on here, when pirate boxes which also break the T&C's of content providers are not.

I guess people feel it's ok as they pay for a UK subscription of say 'Netflix', therefore they are allowed to watch another countries 'Netflix'
Advertisement
Old 23-12-2014, 03:19   #1157
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
It's not illegal, it's just breaking T&C's of the content providers.

Am surprised it's allowed to be even discussed on here, when pirate boxes which also break the T&C's of content providers are not.

I guess people feel it's ok as they pay for a UK subscription of say 'Netflix', therefore they are allowed to watch another countries 'Netflix'
I guess if it wasn't allowed, they'd have to close this thread down, where most of the discussion is at US pace. How are UK resident's watching current shows at US pace?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/110/
Old 23-12-2014, 03:48   #1158
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

No one discusses how they watch the shows so it's not against any rules.
Old 23-12-2014, 10:41   #1159
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Netflix UK Acquires Exclusive Rights To ABC Family’s ‘Pretty Little Liars’

Story
Old 23-12-2014, 12:47   #1160
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Anyone using a vpn or smart dns might like to know that on Netflix Netherlands captain America and the winter soldier is there now.
Old 23-12-2014, 13:37   #1161
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Or via Netflix and a smart DNS service...
Well, yes, passingbat, but I was talking about legitimate means of access.

I am not disputing that you can access the content of Netflix, HBO, etc of other countries, but I was talking about appropriate UK access without falsifying your location details.

I think that some people have been doing this for so long and getting away with it, that they now think it is perfectly OK. I find it strange that so many people think that different rules apply to the internet than outside of it.

That said, good luck to you all while you can get away with it, and make the most of it while you can.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
No one discusses how they watch the shows so it's not against any rules.
I think you mean the forum rules, not the rules of the platform providing the content.
Old 23-12-2014, 13:44   #1162
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Quote:
I guess if it wasn't allowed, they'd have to close this thread down, where most of the discussion is at US pace. How are UK resident's watching current shows at US pace?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/110/
True, not read the threads but as cimt says it's the shows not the method that's discussed.

BIB, Torrents probably most popular/free method.
Old 23-12-2014, 14:12   #1163
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, yes, passingbat, but I was talking about legitimate means of access.

I am not disputing that you can access the content of Netflix, HBO, etc of other countries, but I was talking about appropriate UK access without falsifying your location details.

I think that some people have been doing this for so long and getting away with it, that they now think it is perfectly OK. I find it strange that so many people think that different rules apply to the internet than outside of it.

That said, good luck to you all while you can get away with it, and make the most of it while you can.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

The Australians have tried to get Netflix to Geo-block due to them worried about an up-coming Australian service and apparently Sony have tried to do it.

Do you think Netflix are incapable of doing it.

And what about those region 1 DVDs that Amazon UK sell? They are meant for the US region only.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
True, not read the threads but as cimt says it's the shows not the method that's discussed.

BIB, Torrents probably most popular/free method.
Technically that is right. But could it be said that illegal methods of viewing are being condoned?

I don't have a problem with it; my response was to someone who questioned whether Smart DNS services should be discussed and the wider implications if it was deemed that they shouldn't.
Old 23-12-2014, 16:32   #1164
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The Australians have tried to get Netflix to Geo-block due to them worried about an up-coming Australian service and apparently Sony have tried to do it.

Do you think Netflix are incapable of doing it.

And what about those region 1 DVDs that Amazon UK sell? They are meant for the US region only.[COLOR="Silver"]
I don't know, passingbat, I think there may be technical problems that they have not yet been able to overcome. After all, how would Netflix be able to determine that you were not accessing the service from within the appropriate country given the method that is used?

I think they will be able to overcome it in time, but that they haven't yet figured out how to do it.
Old 23-12-2014, 16:51   #1165
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I don't know, passingbat, I think there may be technical problems that they have not yet been able to overcome. After all, how would Netflix be able to determine that you were not accessing the service from within the appropriate country given the method that is used?

I think they will be able to overcome it in time, but that they haven't yet figured out how to do it.
Do you seriously think it is beyond their capabilities; no way!

HBO Nordic did it simply by making only credit cards issued by Nordic banks acceptable.
Old 23-12-2014, 16:59   #1166
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

No technical problems at all as PB said HBONordic have overcome it by allowing only credit cards from that region.
ABC have overcome it by making you verify your location via google location.
Amazon have overcome it by making you have seperate accounts for each region.
Old 23-12-2014, 19:04   #1167
wildfruit
cf.member

Services: M600, talk more anytime 2 x V6, sky cinema, Sky sports Maxit TV, kids pack, unlimited sim
wildfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

If netflix did somehow decide to block accounts from "travelling" they would probably lose a generous chunk of subscribers over night. I certainly wouldn't stay with uk only content.
Old 23-12-2014, 19:47   #1168
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I have to challenge your assertion that "The Australians" have tried to get Netflix to prevent them (Australians) from accessing Netflix from Australia. The facts are that there are currently 3 VOD providers in Australia and they will be joined by Netflix on March 15, 2015. Estimates vary but its acknowledged that up t0 800,000 Australians currently access TV from elsewhere via VPNs etc. This is not illegal or even frowned upon. In Australia one can import up to $1000 worth of goods, tax and duty free, at any one time - this includes but is not limited to: CDs, DVD, Blurays, iPods, tablets etc.

The people who are whingeing about VPNs are existing VOD providers (Quickflix, Easyflix & Presto) who don't want the competion - tough! Good article here if you're interested:
http://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainm...ors-ready-war/

And this is what happens if you mess with the natives over there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjFz5iN8BE
Old 23-12-2014, 22:38   #1169
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiekev View Post
I have to challenge your assertion that "The Australians" have tried to get Netflix to prevent them (Australians) from accessing Netflix from Australia. The facts are that there are currently 3 VOD providers in Australia and they will be joined by Netflix on March 15, 2015. Estimates vary but its acknowledged that up t0 800,000 Australians currently access TV from elsewhere via VPNs etc. This is not illegal or even frowned upon. In Australia one can import up to $1000 worth of goods, tax and duty free, at any one time - this includes but is not limited to: CDs, DVD, Blurays, iPods, tablets etc.

The people who are whingeing about VPNs are existing VOD providers (Quickflix, Easyflix & Presto) who don't want the competion - tough! Good article here if you're interested:
http://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainm...ors-ready-war/

And this is what happens if you mess with the natives over there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZjFz5iN8BE

Yes I phrased it wrongly; it is the Australian Home Entertainment Distributors Association that want VPN access to Netflix blocked, not Australia, the government of.

It was a while since I read the article, and at that time, Nerflix in Australia hadn't been officially announced but was rumoured to be coming.

This may have been the article I read:

http://recombu.com/digital/article/n...australian-row
Old 24-12-2014, 00:06   #1170
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Did you watch the youtube vid?
Closed Thread