Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 28-11-2014, 21:44   #1036
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Anyone after a decent streaming device , Amazon have the Roku 3 about to start in 20 mins on the lightning deals.
£69 for a Roku 3 is pretty good. I've just bought a Chromecast for £18, couldn't turn it down
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2014, 22:11   #1037
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
£69 for a Roku 3 is pretty good. I've just bought a Chromecast for £18, couldn't turn it down
Thanks for the heads-up - just bought 2 (one for our bedroom tv, one for my lad).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:23   #1038
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
It was £59 then went back to £69.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:51   #1039
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Anyone wanting a Firetv box they are down to £69 at the moment at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL113.../dp/B00KQEJBSW With Amazon link you'll also get free £10 credit to spend on instant video.

Or you can get it for £59 by using this code at Tesco Direct must be first time customer http://www.tesco.com/direct/amazon-f...questid=201040 use code TDX-7KPG
Old 28-11-2014, 23:22   #1040
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Waiting for Amazon to launch the Fire TV Stick in the UK. When it launched in the US it was only $19 for a short time for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-...rds=fire+stick
Old 28-11-2014, 23:38   #1041
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Waiting for Amazon to launch the Fire TV Stick in the UK. When it launched in the US it was only $19 for a short time for Prime members.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-...rds=fire+stick
I personally recommend either both are great devices with the stick however you won't get the voice remote which you get with the firetv box.
Also the stick has lower specs than the box.
Old 28-11-2014, 23:53   #1042
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I personally recommend either both are great devices with the stick however you won't get the voice remote which you get with the firetv box.
Also the stick has lower specs than the box.
The lack of a voice remote doesn't bother me; in fact the remote is one thing that puts me off the Fire TV products, as it's a Bluetooth remote and to make it work with my Harmony Touch, I'd have to spend another £70 on a Hub (which aint gonna happen).

But if it launches at the same cheap price as the US, I reckon it's worth a punt anyway.
Old 29-11-2014, 00:03   #1043
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The lack of a voice remote doesn't bother me; in fact the remote is one thing that puts me off the Fire TV products, as it's a Bluetooth remote and to make it work with my Harmony Touch, I'd have to spend another £70 on a Hub (which aint gonna happen).

But if it launches at the same cheap price as the US, I reckon it's worth a punt anyway.
Defo mate it'll do the same as firetv box not sure if xbmc can be sideloaded onto the fire stick though but i imagine it can but may be glitchy as it only has 1gb ram compared to 2gb with the box.
You can download a app for the stick to your android phone and use that as a voice remote too.
Old 29-11-2014, 17:40   #1044
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It's all very well enjoying these streaming services, but you're all slowly killing off linear TV by doing so (according to the CEO of Netflix).

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35744021
Old 29-11-2014, 18:11   #1045
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's all very well enjoying these streaming services, but you're all slowly killing off linear TV by doing so (according to the CEO of Netflix).

And, of course, he has nothing to gain by saying that.....
Old 30-11-2014, 16:00   #1046
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Linear TV will slowly die on the vine, Richard, because time is precious, and people will just tire of wasting their time watching stuff they don't want to see and sitting through the commercials.

Things will look quite different by 2030!
Old 30-11-2014, 16:32   #1047
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Linear TV will slowly die on the vine, Richard, because time is precious, and people will just tire of wasting their time watching stuff they don't want to see and sitting through the commercials.

Agree.
Old 30-11-2014, 17:38   #1048
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I wonder how the programmes will be funded, as advertising revenue is the current model (mostly)....
Old 30-11-2014, 18:04   #1049
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wonder how the programmes will be funded, as advertising revenue is the current model (mostly)....
Amazon are rumoured to be hinting at launching a free version of instant video that will be funded by advertisements http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/a...reaming-rumor/ , i imagine netflix may offer 2 tiers type subscription say £6.99p/m for advert free and maybe a free ad supported version too.
Hulu+ do charge about £5.20p/m and have adverts during programming i think hulus method will be the way most broadcasters will operate with Netflix and Amazon both offering two tier type subscriptions, also worth noting Hulu do offer a free service too that's ad funded.
Old 30-11-2014, 18:12   #1050
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I would imagine that they will insert adverts into VOD content in the same way as they do now.
Closed Thread