Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 15-11-2014, 02:20   #976
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I got Netflix from Virgin for free for six months, to which I am of course grateful, but tbh there's not really a lot of stuff on there that I haven't already seen, I mean, most of it is old stuff, and Virgin should probably be giving it to ppl on the top packages for free anyway. Not really impressed to be honest, apart from maybe wanting to watch a really good movie that I've already watched, but wouldn't mind watching again.
Why should Virgin be out of pocket and give Netflix away, this has been mentioned many times Netflix is nothing to do with Virgin media after your free 6 months if you continued you'd be billed by Netflix themselves.
Virgin and Netflix worked together to create the Netflix app for virgins Tivo. Another thing has been mentioned many times if you want more Netflix content use a smart dns service on your laptop or games console etc.
That really is the best way to enjoy netflix imo.
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2014, 11:53   #977
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
As theone says, the Roku stick has Now TV, Netflix, the terrestrial catch up apps along with a host of other apps you can add through the store. The device itself is a little sluggish to boot up and start shows but once it's going the streaming quality is excellent. I also like that it's discreetly hidden away behind the TV as it just sticks into one of the HDMI ports. It does need a power source though which can be either a normal plug or a USB port if you've got one on your TV. The interface will also be familiar to you as the Now TV box is a stripped down Roku box.

Can't comment on the Amazon Fire TV but would imagine that to have all the same apps - theone can you confirm?
Amazon fire tv does not have itv player, nowtv or 4od at the moment it does have Stv,bbc,demand5, curzon cinema,netflix, tv player amongst others.
Sky have said Nowtv and Skygo is coming soon for Amazon firetv and Amazon have said they want every tv service on it.
Plex works flawlessly on Amazon fire tv and it is very easy to sideload XMBC onto it too which works great.
Also the DNS can be altered on Amazon fire tv which will enable services such as wwe network, hulu etc.
I mostly use my firetv as the quality imo is far more supreme than my roku or MX android box my roku1 gets used for nowtv and uk netflix.
I love the fact i can have tvplayer, zattoo, iplayer,netflix,hulu+,wwe network,espn,demand 5, xmbc all sitting alongside each other on one box.
Old 16-11-2014, 13:09   #978
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
it is very easy to sideload XMBC onto it too which works great.
I'm looking to get a streaming service for the bedroom tv and was going to go for a Roku.

To save me doing a lot of googling/reading can you tell me the advantages of putting XBMC on a Fire box?

I had considered Fire TV but dismissed it as it doesn't have all the catchup services, if it had them from launch i would have snapped one up for £49.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:25   #979
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky have said Nowtv and Skygo is coming soon for Amazon firetv and Amazon have said they want every tv service on it.
Interesting. Can you remember where you saw that information?
Old 16-11-2014, 14:30   #980
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

We remain to be convinced by that statement unless information tells me otherwise.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:43   #981
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I'm looking to get a streaming service for the bedroom tv and was going to go for a Roku.

To save me doing a lot of googling/reading can you tell me the advantages of putting XBMC on a Fire box?

I had considered Fire TV but dismissed it as it doesn't have all the catchup services, if it had them from launch i would have snapped one up for £49.
If you look on hotukdeals there is a code for £10 off first order at tesco direct which would bring the Amazon fire tv down to £69 it's how i got mine.
XBMC is very good i can't discuss it much here but you'll get a lot of say tv shows n movies for free if you use the right addons, also i find it very good for playing my own video files too.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:45   #982
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
If you look on hotukdeals there is a code for £10 off first order at tesco direct which would bring the Amazon fire tv down to £69 it's how i got mine.
XBMC is very good i can't discuss it much here but you'll get a lot of say tv shows n movies for free if you use the right addons, also i find it very good for playing my own video files too.
Sounds interesting then

I'll have to search after all.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:47   #983
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Interesting. Can you remember where you saw that information?
A Sky rep although really i should take it with a pinch of salt.

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Sounds interesting then

I'll have to search after all.
Use Gotham 3.2 as Firetv box can be a bit funny on tvaddons version it will work but glitches occasionally.
Old 16-11-2014, 14:56   #984
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
A Sky rep although really i should take it with a pinch of salt.

Thanks. A big pinch taken

The only non games console streamer box that does the three main ones; Amazon, Netflix and Now TV, seems to be LG bluray players
Old 16-11-2014, 14:58   #985
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Thanks. A big pinch taken

The only non games console streamer box that does the three main ones; Amazon, Netflix and Now TV, seems to be LG bluray players
This is true i believe Amazon have said they want all tv services on the firetv though.
Old 16-11-2014, 21:49   #986
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Amazon fire tv does not have itv player, nowtv or 4od at the moment it does have Stv,bbc,demand5, curzon cinema,netflix, tv player amongst others.
Plex works flawlessly on Amazon fire tv and it is very easy to sideload XMBC onto it too which works great.
Also the DNS can be altered on Amazon fire tv which will enable services such as wwe network, hulu etc.
I mostly use my firetv as the quality imo is far more supreme than my roku or MX android box my roku1 gets used for nowtv and uk netflix.
I love the fact i can have tvplayer, zattoo, iplayer,netflix,hulu+,wwe network,espn,demand 5, xmbc all sitting alongside each other on one box.
Ooohh, you should be demanding commission from Amazon for selling their products, its worked on me especially the plex/xmbc bit!
Old 17-11-2014, 02:00   #987
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Ooohh, you should be demanding commission from Amazon for selling their products, its worked on me especially the plex/xmbc bit!
Use Tesco direct and use this code to bring the Amazon fire down from £79 to £69 TDX-7KPG
Old 17-11-2014, 09:23   #988
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

what is firetv?? Sorry i'm quite thick about these things but i do love new things... What would it give me which i can't get on my tivo and is it subscription based etc?>
Old 17-11-2014, 10:11   #989
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We remain to be convinced by that statement unless information tells me otherwise.
Why are you so sceptical ? I've not heard of Sky Go or Now TV coming to the Amazon Fire TV but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see Now TV arrive at some stage on Fire TV.

At the moment Sky are busy getting Now TV and Sky Go ready for the next gen consoles , the Sky Go app shouldn't be far off for PlayStation , the PlayStation 4 will then have access to both Sky Go as Now TV is already available.

In my opinion Now TV's success is built around being available on as many devices as possible.
Old 17-11-2014, 10:27   #990
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why are you so sceptical ? I've not heard of Sky Go or Now TV coming to the Amazon Fire TV but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see Now TV arrive at some stage on Fire TV.

At the moment Sky are busy getting Now TV and Sky Go ready for the next gen consoles , the Sky Go app shouldn't be far off for PlayStation , the PlayStation 4 will then have access to both Sky Go as Now TV is already available.

In my opinion Now TV's success is built around being available on as many devices as possible.
Well we shall see MM but sceptical no l don't think so.