Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 27-09-2020, 20:36   #10006
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Yet their own bean counters didn't bid a solitary dime in the first round of the last Premier League rights auction.
What part of ‘testing the waters’ do you not understand?

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

Quote:

It's self-evident why it's harder for a new entrant. First they have to outbid the incumbents - therefore exceed the value that another organisation has placed on the rights. An existing organisation, with an established customer base, and a profitable business model on day 1. In the case of Sky one probably an organisation that places a price premium on these rights above all others as being essential to it's business model.
Amazon is hardly a minnow. It has much deeper pockets than Sky and BT put together. I think you have a mental block on this. If it’s profitable for Sky and BT, how about you telling us why it cannot also be profitable for Amazon?

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Quote:

Amazon wouldn't be profitable on day 1. Not does it have a 12 months sports offering. So immediately it's losing money in year 1 it needs to get back by year 3. No guarantee of retaining rights after all. If it's that easy Netflix will have them, or Facebook.

So you ask yourself how to best use £5bn scratching a hole in your pocket. You look elsewhere.
The beauty of streaming services is that you don’t need to worry about filling schedules. Amazon would save the costs of running a channel - absolutely no fillers required. Amazon would have the certainty of a 3-year deal, and if it did not succeed in getting another, they would simply stop streaming. Sky would be floundering about how to fill their Sky Sports channel schedules.

Sorry, jfman, but your arguments do not stack up.

As for Netflix, they have no interest in screening live sport - it is not their scene. But any other streaming service with an interest could come in and make a bid. If they are confident they can poach the Sky/BT subscribers and generate further subscriber interest through offering lower price packages for fewer matches, why would they not?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2020, 20:43   #10007
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What part of ‘testing the waters’ do you not understand?
Testing the waters at minimal cost is a completely different kettle of fish from a £5bn+ investment. This is obvious to everyone but you.

Quote:
The beauty of streaming services is that you don’t need to worry about filling schedules. Amazon would save the costs of running a channel - absolutely no fillers required. Amazon would have the certainty of a 3-year deal, and if it did not succeed in getting another, they would simply stop streaming. Sky would be floundering about how to fill their Sky Sports channel schedules.
There's plenty of filler content on streaming services. Age old BBC/ITV repeats.

If you think that the cost of filler content is a major barrier to entry then you're massively mistaken.

Quote:
Sorry, jfman, but your arguments do not stack up.

As for Netflix, they have no interest in screening live sport - it is not their scene. But any other streaming service with an interest could come in and make a bid. If they are confident they can poach the Sky/BT subscribers and generate further subscriber interest through offering lower price packages for fewer matches, why would they not?
They could make a bid, and as you claim it's easy money, why didn't they?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 20:44   #10008
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Well, I am sure there will be a significant enough rise in basic Prime subscriptions to Amazon, but this on its own would not make this an attractive venture. However, add the additional charges to subscribers who took the additional football subscription, and I have no doubt that it would pay, just as it pays Sky and BT to offer the football.

I fail to see why some people seem to think that Amazon cannot make a success of it when Sky and BT can! A profit is a profit, after all.

You've not answered the questions.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 20:54   #10009
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Testing the waters at minimal cost is a completely different kettle of fish from a £5bn+ investment. This is obvious to everyone but you.
Well, of course it is, which is why they tested the waters!

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:

There's plenty of filler content on streaming services. Age old BBC/ITV repeats.
Quite so. But what that’s got to do with a football streaming service is beyond me. All they would have on there would be football matches. Obviously.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Quote:

They could make a bid, and as you claim it's easy money, why didn't they?
(sigh) Because they were testing the waters first.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You've not answered the questions.
I have already pointed out that most if not all Sky or BT subscribers to the football would simply change allegiance. Of course they would. Footie is everything to them.

And if Sky and BT can make a profit, so can Amazon, or whatever other streamer comes forward with big trouser pockets to make a bid in the first place.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 21:59   #10010
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, of course it is, which is why they tested the waters!

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quite so. But what that’s got to do with a football streaming service is beyond me. All they would have on there would be football matches. Obviously.

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

(sigh) Because they were testing the waters first.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

I have already pointed out that most if not all Sky or BT subscribers to the football would simply change allegiance. Of course they would. Footie is everything to them.

And if Sky and BT can make a profit, so can Amazon, or whatever other streamer comes forward with big trouser pockets to make a bid in the first place.
It’s becoming harder to quote your posts than Sephs on here so I’ll respond in one go. The fact you view a ‘football streaming service’ as separate from the rest of the pay tv market is your first error. It exists in the basket of products, and yes that includes other sports to maintain year round interest.

You continue, perhaps naively, to portray this as “if sky can do it anyone can”. No, Old Boy, that is not necessarily true. The purpose of a rights auction is to place the bidder at or near the limit of what they are willing to spend.

That means the second, third and even non-bidders have less optimised business models to generate revenues from the rights. That’s the purpose of the auction that Amazon didn’t bid a single dime on last time in the first round.
Old 28-09-2020, 09:20   #10011
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

These arguments are getting tiresome...
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 01:44   #10012
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
These arguments are getting tiresome...
i thought i'd clicked the wrong thread as i'd already seen this argument....then i realised its going over two different threads!

Does anyone have a list of football contracts i.e. english and foreign leagues? Is this the second year of the new EPL contract or the first year?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 16:57   #10013
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
i thought i'd clicked the wrong thread as i'd already seen this argument....then i realised its going over two different threads!

Does anyone have a list of football contracts i.e. english and foreign leagues? Is this the second year of the new EPL contract or the first year?
I believe it's more than just two threads.

This Wikipedia page is pretty good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports...ation_football
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 17:37   #10014
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post

Haven't got a list, but it is certainly the 2nd season of the current EPL contract - Amazon Prime 'tested the water as OB likes to put it' in December 2019.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 14:50   #10015
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

PPV football is coming

Sky Sports and BT Sport to unveil Premier League pay-per-view service https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ticle-masthead
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 15:19   #10016
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
PPV football is coming

Sky Sports and BT Sport to unveil Premier League pay-per-view service https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ticle-masthead

That'll go down like a lead balloon.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 15:38   #10017
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That'll go down like a lead balloon.
Not a a good move by the Premier League to charge £14.95 for single matches that have been shown free for the last 6 months.
Old 09-10-2020, 16:09   #10018
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Was inevitable really. Additional games on BT (and others) waters down the Sky offering.

A £15 price point is one that’ll appeal to very few who probably have Sky anyway.
Old 09-10-2020, 16:17   #10019
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

It is up to the customers to ensure this is a failure by not subscribing.

As usual, I'm sure there will be a few that do because watching their team is important to them irrespective of cost which is fair enough but hopefully it doesn't become viable enough to continue long term.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 17:21   #10020
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Doesn't really need to get viewers it only has to keep Sky happy. Costs the league next to nothing to broadcast - every game recorded with English commentary for other markets.