Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Upload Speed Increases

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM Upload Speed Increases

Old 22-09-2019, 18:51   #121
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: VM Upload Speed Increases

you can't be on two different networks, you either migrate over to 3.1 and your modem connects as such or you stay on 3.0. You can't use 3.1 for downloads and 3.0 for uploads, it doesn't work like that.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2019, 19:24   #122
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I...don't think that's actually true, Max. I believe upstream and downstream can be negotiated independently. I did some googling and found this support ticket from someone seeing exactly this - 3.1 downstream but 3.0 upstream: https://forums.businesshelp.comcast....eam/td-p/34069

Of course that's a fault, but all the same it's technically possible.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 19:45   #123
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Fascinating, i would love to understand how that works. I was under the impression the modem established one connection using a set specification and it communicates using that. I didnt realise the upsteam and downstream could work independently. I can remember Igni saying saying 3.1 wont use channels as we currently understand them so if that is the case we are talking about the modem making two seperate connections. I need to do some reading.
Old 25-09-2019, 17:01   #124
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

From my understanding (And this all needs to be taken with a pinch of salt), the modem has to "negotiate" with the CMTS a whole bunch of things. Part of this negotiation is establishing a downstream connection first, then the upload. For each of those, the modem has to negotiate things like what's the latest version of DOCSIS supported, what channels to use, symbol rate, QAM, all that good stuff.

Some of it's dependant on what both ends support, some is dependant on the quality of the line and some is simply configuration.

Igni is right about how DOCSIS3.1 does channels very differently. On 3.0 today, we have chunky channels that are like 8mhz each and bonded together. But I believe those channels aren't exactly right next to each other in the spectrum, you have to leave a "gap" or they could interfere.

On the other side, 3.1 has loads of smaller "Sub-channels" (25-50khz) that means you can make much more efficient use of the spectrum, because you can pack them in quite tightly:

Another bonus to this is they can increase the QAM rate, from 256 today to at least 4096. That's a fancy way of saying you get 50% more bits in the same frequency amount - on top of the gains of more efficient spectrum usage. However with higher QAM, you need less interference on the line. The improvements to 3.1 should mean it's better overall but I guess if you've got noise, you could drop down below 4096 and maybe even end up on 3.0 channels.

There's other improvements as well, like how error correction is handled and how the system can cope with bad lines. All in all, it's about making more efficient use of what's currently there.

We don't get the full 3.1 benefit overnight, though. You can't use the same frequencies for 3.1 OFDM channels as the older 3.0 channels, so they have to live side-by-side for a while:

Until eventually you get this:

Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 17:20   #125
General Maximus
Ran Away

nice, once the initial rollout is complete hopefully they'll have a plan in place to make shub swap outs mandatory on all tech visits over the next couple of years so everyone can be migrated over to 3.1. It makes you wonder though, if 3.1 has so many benefits and it is the upload which VM have always struggled with, why aren't they moving over to 3.1 for upload first and leaving the downstream till later? They are miles ahead of other isps on downstream speed and it is the upstream which needs to catch up.
Old 25-09-2019, 21:49   #126
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I can remember Igni saying saying 3.1 wont use channels as we currently understand them so if that is the case we are talking about the modem making two seperate connections. I need to do some reading.
I remember him saying that too. He also said 3.1 would be for downstream but VM will still use 3.0 for upstream
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 21:51   #127
General Maximus
Ran Away

I dont remember reading that
Old 26-09-2019, 00:07   #128
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Sources told me tonight that "VM testing 1gbs Broadband also a new router and TV Box."
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 11:18   #129
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sources told me tonight that "VM testing 1gbs Broadband also a new router and TV Box."
One can perhaps assume there'll be new pricing deals and new hardware after the 1st October (the date when existing customers need to have cancelled/renegotiated existing contracts)

That's normally what happens, in any case!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 01:44   #130
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Southampton is slated to be the first to get DOCSIS 3.1 with a new Hub 4.0 router delivering 1Gbps download but apparently only 50Mbps upload.

I don't know anything about a new TV box except that the Horizon 4 UI is expected to replace TiVo on the V6.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 06:41   #131
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Could the new tv box be Horizon I wonder?
Old 29-09-2019, 10:49   #132
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Any whispers on pricing for these gigabit packages? Can't imagine it'll be cheap since VM don't really have much competition on it other than places where Hyperoptic etc are
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 17:22   #133
General Maximus
Ran Away

It might not be as expensive as you think. It will get very confusing if there are a gazillion tiers and you might find they realign them to 100 (S), 300 (M), 500 (L) and 1gbit (XL) for example.
Old 29-09-2019, 20:51   #134
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

The 1Gbps download comes with I believe 50Mbps upload. Now the M500 is 516/36, so who will choose 1Gbps over M500 when the upload speed difference is so small? I think the price difference will need to be small for it to be worthwhile.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 22:06   #135
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
The 1Gbps download comes with I believe 50Mbps upload. Now the M500 is 516/36, so who will choose 1Gbps over M500 when the upload speed difference is so small? I think the price difference will need to be small for it to be worthwhile.
The people that want the download speed more and don't mind paying a premium will chose it, with a mine is bigger than yours mentality regardless as to whether they need it.