Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2008, 13:56   #7591
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Thing about that if that is there evaluation is that in my view about 90% wont use the webforms they will base there critical findings on, and normal users (who dont know they are on any trial still as they were not inphormed) will be straight onto the indian help center who in turn will just dismiss it as such a case as mr mainwairing had and no doubt a good few others (i wonder how much volume of increased help calls were made during illegal trials) the indian help desk wont have been inphormed of such trials and even if they were how could they know that user was in the trial after all this is supposed to be anonymous is it not (insert sound of a crowd laughing at a phorm turd).

Dont forget this thing WILL cause a slower connection then the same indian call center will describe spyware,adware,router/modem problem, high traffic, over subscription take your pick really and thats before any ad injection, and if the customer help has been inphormed and they tell you to get in touch with another body or person/site for the trials such trials are no longer anonymous and these trials are then illegal yet again.

p.s does anyone know how the actuall illegal port scanning works on the phorm kit after all if im using this to connect to my favorite cs:source server on port 8881 or whatever as its going through the phorm kit before i reach my destination how does it identify this port from a simply http one without the redirects (or is the port creep similar to the function creep?).
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2008, 13:56   #7592
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

While it's not Phorm related I must say I was impressed when I installed the Nintendo Channel on my Wii this morning. The channel gives you info, gameplay video's, DS Game demo downloads, the ability to leave feedback for games and general Nintendo related news.

During set up it asked me if I wanted to opt in or opt out of receiving info from game companies to my Wii Message board and sharing my gaming habits with Nintendo, it wouldn't proceed until I'd made a choice on both, it also informed me that by doing so I was revealing information etc.

Simple, but well implemented. Info on the opt in/out system on the channel can be found HERE with the more info on the info shared with Nintendo Here

Edit: The new Reg article is up http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...phorm_protest/
Old 30-05-2008, 14:46   #7593
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

And would you believe that I just got a letter from BT asking if I'm satisfied with my cable provider?

Yes, of course, I'm going to swap a company that might implement major spyware for a company that has already implemented major spyware, and swap my 20mb cable for 8mb ADSL.
Old 30-05-2008, 14:52   #7594
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
And would you believe that I just got a letter from BT asking if I'm satisfied with my cable provider?

Yes, of course, I'm going to swap a company that might implement major spyware for a company that has already implemented major spyware, and swap my 20mb cable for 8mb ADSL.
Is there a pre paid envelope for a reply? If so fill it with anti Phorm info, letters, flyers etc and pop it in the post to them
Old 30-05-2008, 14:56   #7595
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Just visited inphormationdesk...the sample letters are well handy!
Old 30-05-2008, 15:00   #7596
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Nice article by Chris, I think it will help promote the protest very well.

Alexander Hanff
Old 30-05-2008, 15:02   #7597
Tharrick
Inactive

Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
Is there a pre paid envelope for a reply? If so fill it with anti Phorm info, letters, flyers etc and pop it in the post to them
Alas, unlike the last credit card company to be spam-mailing me, they weren't stupid enough
Old 30-05-2008, 15:07   #7598
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Alas, unlike the last credit card company to be spam-mailing me, they weren't stupid enough
is there not a return address? surely got to be worth the cost of a second class stamp to tell them a few truths

peter
Old 30-05-2008, 15:15   #7599
Tharrick
Inactive

There's a thought...

Which reminds me that I need to get some more stamps.

I had another idea - it's addressed to 'the occupier', so what if I just RTS it saying 'no longer at this address'? That'll confuse them :P
Old 30-05-2008, 15:26   #7600
Ravenheart
Inactive

Quote:
There's a thought...

I had another idea - it's addressed to 'the occupier', so what if I just RTS it saying 'no longer at this address'? That'll confuse them :P
I often use the Royal Mail online postage that lets you print stamps from home, comes in handy when I'm out of stamps and I'm sending out the paperwork for the arthritis charity.
Old 30-05-2008, 15:31   #7601
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There's a thought...

Yes and to confuse them a little bit more. Open the letter first, no not with a nice sharp letter opener, kick it open with an old boot or use a tin opener etc etc then seal it up with some old chewing gum off the bottom of your boot or sew it up with a needle and thread (bright coloured thread works best)... That'll show the ph~ckers you mean business
Old 30-05-2008, 15:36   #7602
jca111
Inactive

jca111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPhormula View Post
Yes and to confuse them a little bit more. Open the letter first, no not with a nice sharp letter opener, kick it open with an old boot or use a tin opener etc etc then seal it up with some old chewing gum off your boot or sew it up with a needle and thread (bright coloured thread works best)... That'll show the ph~ckers you mean business
I used to work in a mailing house, it will just get chucked in the bin by someone on minimum wage who don't give a stuff!
Old 30-05-2008, 15:45   #7603
gnilddif
Inactive

gnilddif is on a distinguished roadgnilddif is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I've referenced this post over on BT Beta forums.

My new tag when communicating with BT/Phorm

"We're watching you, watching us"
I just referenced it too in the Computer and Internet Security BT Beta forum
g
Old 30-05-2008, 15:51   #7604
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

I have posted about the BT AGM protest on the DS forums with a link to http://nodpi.org/ to spark some interest. post 191

Unfortunately apathy to webwise seems to prevail over there at the moment.
Old 30-05-2008, 15:55   #7605
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca111 View Post
I used to work in a mailing house, it will just get chucked in the bin by someone on minimum wage who don't give a stuff!
Bah! Humbug. It's the fun in doing something outrageous that gives you a giggle that's the important thing, not what some cabbage might do to it.

I don't think ITVs latest savage satire "Headcases" effects any of their victims to modify their ludicrous behaviour, but it gives millions of viewers the opportunity to laugh at this distortion of 'normal' behaviour.
Closed Thread