Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:34   #4651
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But 130m people, the amount of people who currently pay for Netflix, disagree.
In its current form Netflix offers TV Shows and movies from many different studios/broadcasters in the world your describing it will only have it's own content to rely on and be competing against other huge competitors. People only have so much money to go around.

In my previous post I never mentioned the likes of Google and Apple.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2018, 12:44   #4652
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As do I, but once all the kind of programmes I watch are streamed, I and many others will ditch scheduled linear TV.

I don't understand this love affair some people are having with an outdated, inflexible system, given the much better alternative, free of advertisements and there when you want it.

I completely understand that there are still problems to be overcome with live streaming, but in a few short years, those problems will be a thing of the past.

I think most people, given the value for money streaming services provide, would go for the streaming services rather than the existing channels if they would be better off as a result. I am already paying for Netflix, Prime and Now TV, so if two or three more streaming services came along to fill in the gaps, I would be very happy to go for them and ditch the £60 or so I am paying now for the pay tv channels.
Were you not saying that 5 years ago.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:59   #4653
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Were you not saying that 5 years ago.
Yes, well I haven't changed my view on this yet. While there are still programmes worth seeing on the pay tv channels, I will continue to subscribe to them if they are not replicated elsewhere.

I have already ditched Sky Cinema through Virgin and now watch those films through Now TV. So the process has begun. I'm just waiting for the industry to catch up with my view of the future world.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In its current form Netflix offers TV Shows and movies from many different studios/broadcasters in the world your describing it will only have it's own content to rely on and be competing against other huge competitors. People only have so much money to go around.

Speaking for myself, I only watch Netflix and Amazon originals anyway.
Old 03-11-2018, 13:13   #4654
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes, well I haven't changed my view on this yet. While there are still programmes worth seeing on the pay tv channels, I will continue to subscribe to them if they are not replicated elsewhere.

I have already ditched Sky Cinema through Virgin and now watch those films through Now TV. So the process has begun. I'm just waiting for the industry to catch up with my view of the future world.

---------- Post added at 11:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Speaking for myself, I only watch Netflix and Amazon originals anyway.
Many of which aren't actually Netflix Originals they are just advertised as such in territories other than that of the host broadcaster.
Old 03-11-2018, 13:31   #4655
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Fully agree.

The media landscape will look very different to now.

I can't remember whether there was a single incident or not (I seem to recall Netflix having a spat with Disney several years ago, at the back of my mind, but I'm maybe wrong on that), but when Netflix decided to make its own shows, that totally changed everything.

All of a sudden there was a platform available globally (almost) which had a direct relationship to its customers and fully controlled its own content. No licensing deals to haggle over, no arguing over how much to pay per subscriber, it totally changed everything. No middlemen. No extra costs.

As I've said before, I hate all these separate apps. It was easy when you could switch on your stb and you could select what you wanted from the same interface and with Sky integrating Netflix into their system, that may be the case in the future too with the streamers.

Pay tv companies may integrate the streamers into their systems and offer bundles of streamers for a set price to offset the decline of channels. It may go like that, or it may not.

Quote:
I do think there will be further consolidation among the American media/telecom/tech cos which should eventually reduce the amount of streamers.

Starting with CBS and Viacom re-merging, then someone like Verizon buying them. Then you have all the others like Sony, the other major film/tv producer in the States and Lionsgate, AMC and Starz. These will all get gobbled up. But if all these companies just have one major streamer each, there will still be at least six streamers. If they all charge something like £10 each a month and then we have to pay for broadband on top, plus sports (for those that want it) it gets very expensive.

The flip side is no more buying DVDs and having instant access to all Hollywood at a touch of button. With cord cutting increasing in the States and the cable/sat cos revenues eroding from traditional pay tv bundles, it seems blindingly obvious which way the wind is blowing, does it not??
Old 03-11-2018, 14:06   #4656
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

If you have six streamers averaging £10 per month, that will be around the same as the Full House on Virgin now, so I really don't see this as a problem. If there are also discounts available through bundling, that would bring the cost down as well.

As I said before, sport is a different kettle of fish, but I fully expect to see prices reduce over time as the new way of doing things settles down and the industry consolidates.

I think we can exclude broadband from the equation as we are having to fork out for that anyway.
Old 03-11-2018, 14:16   #4657
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
If you have six streamers averaging £10 per month, that will be around the same as the Full House on Virgin now, so I really don't see this as a problem. If there are also discounts available through bundling, that would bring the cost down as well.

As I said before, sport is a different kettle of fish, but I fully expect to see prices reduce over time as the new way of doing things settles down and the industry consolidates.

I think we can exclude broadband from the equation as we are having to fork out for that anyway.
Is this not the poster whose predictions for the last 2 Premier Leagues TV rights were that they were going the way of the streamers as they were going to blow Sky and BT out of the water no ifs and no buts..
Old 03-11-2018, 14:18   #4658
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

6 streamers at £10 so a total of £60 bargain.

I currently pay around that and get Sky Cinema , Sky Multiroom and Sky Sports and Netflix Premium.

So your above example would cost me more when Sport was added.
Old 03-11-2018, 14:26   #4659
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

I currently pay around that and get Sky Cinema , Sky Multiroom and Sky Sports and Netflix Premium.

Amazing how any customer would want to pay more MM.
Old 03-11-2018, 15:16   #4660
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Is this not the poster whose predictions for the last 2 Premier Leagues TV rights were that they were going the way of the streamers as they were going to blow Sky and BT out of the water no ifs and no buts..
I said this time or next time, Den, as you well know!

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Quote:

I was comparing with Virgin's Full House.

I don't know your circumstances, but I would imagine you are not paying the full price, having taken advantage of various deals.

Of course, streaming services have deals as well. You have to compare like with like.
Old 03-11-2018, 15:19   #4661
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Netflix and Amazon have set prices usually with a free trial , only Now TV offers deals and that's part of Sky.
Old 03-11-2018, 15:23   #4662
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I said this time or next time, Den, as you well know!
And no doubt you will say it each time the rights come up.
Old 03-11-2018, 15:27   #4663
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And no doubt you will say it each time the rights come up.
No. I have consistently said either this time or next time.
Old 03-11-2018, 16:39   #4664
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
No. I have consistently said either this time or next time.
I hope streamers don't win rights, it will cost a fortune for a decent package of sports.
Old 03-11-2018, 16:41   #4665
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Many of which aren't actually Netflix Originals they are just advertised as such in territories other than that of the host broadcaster.
Exactly. This really annoys me. Many people are giving Netflix credit for something they had nothing to do with, not even funding-wise in a great many cases. It's greatly misleading.

Not that Amazon don't do it too. The upcoming Good Omens was a BBC originated production and yet Amazon are promoting it like it was all them and they only half funded it in that case and came to the project late after it was realised it needed to be a co-production to do it justice. I'm waiting to watch it on BBC Two.
Closed Thread