Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 04-09-2020, 22:56   #811
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Check engine light came on the other day and it turned out to be a common fault: Stuck secondary injection pump which pushes air into the manifold during cold start as part of emissions controls. The pump can get stuck on and cause all kinds of problems with the fuel-air-exhaust continuum. A friend who does my engine maps deleted the pump from the ECU programming and we disconnected the pump. Job done.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2020, 23:16   #812
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Had a BSOD on the PC this morning (Had several recently all with different fault references) and afterwards the cordless mouse wasn't working. Went through all the usual stuff checking the driver, etc. Even plugged in a USB mouse to prove the system was working. Then I thought "Has it just lost wireless connection?" Re synched it and now working fine. That's two hours of faffing about.

Windows is an absolute pig to drive through the keyboard.

Like tearing apart the washing machine only to find the fuse has gone.

I still love the error message "No keyboard found, press F1 to continue"

What I want to know who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
Old 16-09-2020, 12:42   #813
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The case for my digital calipers. It had those funny plastic hinges with a thin section that flexes. Inevitably the flexi bit flexes too often and breaks.

I got a couple of small brass plated hinges from B&Q meant for jewelry cases and similar. Carefully positioning and then drilling the holes with my hobby drill I could then slip the nuts for some small bolts into the recesses where the original plastic hinge body was located.

I had the small fixings in a big tin of assorted ones inherited from my late father. I guess they're some BA size. Quite a nice fix.

Photo0404_c_s.jpg
Old 03-10-2020, 13:23   #814
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

The entrance wall to my son's drive , someone hit it with the car
in my defence his mum hit it as well [different car though] ah well all fixed now
Old 09-10-2020, 16:12   #815
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Dual USB socket on the front of the PC had slid back so that only power got to anything plugged in. No signals.

Took off the front panel and removed a small cover over the sockets to see that a small plastic lug had broken off allowing the sockets to drift back.

The cover had a rectangular slot in it so I put the cover on the "wrong way" round and it allowed a cut off cocktail stick to be inserted against the back of the sockets and the pointy end just infront of where the original lug was. Nice snug fit. Seems to do the trick.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:32   #816
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Extension lead in the bedroom: The outer of the cable had started to pull apart next to the socket strip and had exposed the inner wires. (Still insulated)

Only a 5 minute fix to cut back and reterminate the cable and ensure it was properly in the cable retainer.
Old 06-09-2021, 17:22   #817
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Broken specs and a gaming headset.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 18:44   #818
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Graphics card
Stripped down and cleared of all fluffy bunnies, then reapplied thermal paste to heat sink.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:09   #819
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Graphics card
Stripped down and cleared of all fluffy bunnies, then reapplied thermal paste to heat sink.
Had to bake an old ATI card years ago. 120 degrees c for 10 minutes. Worked a treat
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:44   #820
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

The padded headboard of our bed was looking a bit worse for wear, so I bought a pair of curtains from the charity shop which match our existing curtains. Measured and cut them to size, sewed to together and made a slip over cover.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 22:00   #821
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed a cassette tape I got

It was in one of those newer 70s AMPEX cassette cases that DOESNT HAVE ROLLERS IN IT!!!

It doesnt play well and I cant figure out qhy they started doing that!! - In the early 70s AMPEX made good cassettes (The ones with paper labels) .. The newer ones in the 70s w/no paper labels are just horrible!

How did they expect it to play well w/o no rollers in it??

I just put it in another cassette shell and it plays beautifully!!

Deep Purple - Who do we think we are (1973)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 16:31   #822
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Fixed my Desktop PC, the power supply was letting off a burning electrical smell and sometimes wouldn't turn on so picked up an Evga 600w power supply on Black Friday for £30 and swapped it out, so far so good.

It'll keep my Windows 10 PC going for a number of years that can't be upgraded to Windows 11 because it fails for CPU, TPM and GPU but works perfectly fine as it is and I don't game on this thing.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 04-12-2021 at 16:42.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:37   #823
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Im glad you could fix it buddy

I fixed my rollarball mouse the other day.... It was quite dirty!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:18   #824
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im glad you could fix it buddy

I fixed my rollarball mouse the other day.... It was quite dirty!!
Jebus Cripes Dude a cheap laser mouse is a couple of £/$ yet you still struggle with a ball. I think you need sectioning
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 14:08   #825
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Jebus Cripes Dude a cheap laser mouse is a couple of £/$ yet you still struggle with a ball. I think you need sectioning
Lol just what I was thinking but in another thread he says his laser mouse had an issue so went back to his old one.

Personally I blame his heap of junk PC he refuses to upgrade.