Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Putting an end to bank text scams.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Putting an end to bank text scams.

Old 11-01-2019, 16:21   #1
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Putting an end to bank text scams.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/12...pporters110119
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2019, 17:26   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Putting an end to bank text scams.

Quote:
This year we found one in three people had been sent a scam text in the last six months
I must be in the other 2 out of 3 group, I have never had one of these.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 18:22   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I must be in the other 2 out of 3 group, I have never had one of these.
Admittedly neither have I but there must be a lot who have.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 19:00   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

tbf, the bank text scams were 16% of the 1 out of 3, which makes the likelihood of that particular scam of around 5%.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 23:12   #5
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

It must be hurting the banks in a big way if they're finally doing something proactive.

A good thing for both parties but contrast that with the time it takes for online cash transfers to happen, i.e. several days, whilst they "mind" the cash. It could and should be instantaneous.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 23:36   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
It must be hurting the banks in a big way if they're finally doing something proactive.

A good thing for both parties but contrast that with the time it takes for online cash transfers to happen, i.e. several days, whilst they "mind" the cash. It could and should be instantaneous.
Not sure what the criteria are, but there are transactions that are instantaneous. It is direct debits and standing orders that have to be done in advance.

Nothing to do with the banks. The issue is with the phone companies.
Quote:
The UK's largest mobile providers have pledged to stamp out a
flaw in their systems that allows scammers to hijack text chains
from a person's bank.
They'll just use phone companies that aren't part of the scheme to send the texts.
Quote:
From early next year, banks will be able to register and protect their sender ID on a database. The mobile networks will block any attempt to send a text from that number that doesn’t come from the bank.
This proposed solution will only work if the phone company of the original source text can be checked to see if it is participating in the scheme. That check would have to be in the message receiving software of the intended victim's phone.

Last edited by nomadking; 11-01-2019 at 23:47.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 23:53   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Not sure what the criteria are, but there are transactions that are instantaneous. It is direct debits and standing orders that have to be done in advance.

Nothing to do with the banks. The issue is with the phone companies.
They'll just use phone companies that aren't part of the scheme. to send the texts.

You're quite correct nk, I rather jumped in there as I've got a bit of an issue with the way the banks go about their business. I still maintain the banks could have electronic transfers of cash from one account to another happen instantaneously (not talking about direct debits), there's no reason for it not happening other than that they get to hold the money for a few days to their benefit. They're pretending that the delays in days of old due to the process of administrating paper transactions still apply.
Old 12-01-2019, 00:14   #8
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
You're quite correct nk, I rather jumped in there as I've got a bit of an issue with the way the banks go about their business. I still maintain the banks could have electronic transfers of cash from one account to another happen instantaneously (not talking about direct debits), there's no reason for it not happening other than that they get to hold the money for a few days to their benefit. They're pretending that the delays in days of old due to the process of administrating paper transactions still apply.
What transfers are you talking about that take days? I find they take seconds.

Apart from rules that specify how much liquid assets(ie cash) they have to hold at any point in time, there is little they can do with it. They can hardly issue a new 25 year mortgage to somebody using that money.

Even with direct debits and standing orders, the money doesn't leave your account in advance. It's just that the request has to be made in advance.
Old 12-01-2019, 00:26   #9
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
What transfers are you talking about that take days? I find they take seconds.

Apart from rules that specify how much liquid assets(ie cash) they have to hold at any point in time, there is little they can do with it. They can hardly issue a new 25 year mortgage to somebody using that money.

Your first point : For example I transferred some money electronically from one joint bank account to another owned by me and mrs daveeb, it took about four days to take effect.

Your second point : Could you clarify how much cash a bank is allowed to hold ? I would have thought it is adding to their capital and so earning them money. It might only be a relatively small amount but multiplied out by the number of customers doing a similar transaction it becomes significant.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:32   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Your first point : For example I transferred some money electronically from one joint bank account to another owned by me and mrs daveeb, it took about four days to take effect.

Your second point : Could you clarify how much cash a bank is allowed to hold ? I would have thought it is adding to their capital and so earning them money. It might only be a relatively small amount but multiplied out by the number of customers doing a similar transaction it becomes significant.
It is a percentage of assets. Still not a lot they can do with it because it will still disappear from their control in a very short period.

The transactions in the fraud cases occur instantly. If they took a few days, the fraud wouldn't work as people would quickly figure out something was amiss.

Money Advice service.

Quote:
Payments made using Faster Payments will sometimes be received immediately after leaving your account, but can sometimes take up to 2 hours.
This option is free, available 24 hours a day and typically used in online banking, mobile apps, over the phone or in branch.
You could also use:
  • Bacs payments. These take up to three working days to clear. Find out more on the Pay your way website.
  • CHAPS (Clearing House Automated Payment System). Payments will go through on the same day, as long the transfer is made by a certain time. Find out more on the Pay your way website
Old 12-01-2019, 13:26   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Good info nk !
I can only assume that our specific banks have a bottleneck somewhere as payments can sometimes take several days. I can (as you say) transfer funds between for example different accounts in the same building society that occur instantly.
Old 12-01-2019, 17:43   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Bank transfers should be pretty instant.

I have multiple accounts (with different banks) and all my transfers between them happen within seconds.

They sure as hell should never take days, perhaps you need a new bank.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 17:49   #13
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

My bank says upto 2 hours but they're pretty well instant bank to different bank. (Natwest vs HSBC both directions)

Maybe it takes a bit longer to go from bank to Bsoc?
Old 12-01-2019, 20:50   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

OK thanks all, I might have to get on to the banks involved and ask why one transaction in particular took so long (heero has in fact already mentioned those banks in question).