Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Is it Art?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Is it Art?

Old 24-09-2007, 16:28   #106
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Wink Re: Is it Art?

I dont like any of Dali's work, Come to think of it i dont like Van Gogh either, infact most painters from the past i dont like. Da Vinci's art inspired me, and Escher.

Here is some more work of mine, it varies to what I draw really.

^^^^ Thats from when I was like 16. 1991. Its old.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2007, 16:45   #107
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Is it Art?

Oh don't get me wrong, the quality of his work, his skill as a painter are unquestionable.

If I were to take a photo (as I can't paint) of a salmon on an old style telephone where the reciever should be, to me, although that would be surreal in that you wouldn't in reality have a salmon on a telephone reciever, it's trying to be surreal.

Perhaps it's that the surrealism is the subject of his artwork, rather than a blended in part of it.
It just feels to me as though Dali painted to create surreal paintings to keep up the interest in surrealism and therefore himself, rather than painting to express something inside.
Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I feel the same about Warhol, who's art I don't rate one iota.
I think if I ever had a dream in the style of either, I'd fall asleep out of boredom!

Now Giger on the other hand, I love the dreams I have in his style (even the ones without aliens).
When I look at most of his work (some of his sculptures are in a similar vein to Dali and I don't think they're his best work) it feels like it's actually come from him.
Perhaps it's because I know he's a perfectionist through reports of his work with various film productions such as Alien, the never made Ridley Scott Dune, and Species, and the care he has for his creations expressed in his distaste at how other modify or treat them.
He also appreciates others for their artistic ability rather than who they are (I know of someone who was invited to lunch with him because they had made and were selling Gigeresque chess boards, they thought they were in trouble, but he was very impressed), although having said that, he was a fan and aquaintance of Dali.

Or maybe I just like being able to play "spot the genitalia" with Giger's work

I'd love to have his dining table set.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 16:51   #108
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post

Or maybe I just like being able to play "spot the genitalia" with Giger's work
Well frankly you could do that with Dali's as well.In fact some of the surrealists works were extremely near the knuckle if the exhibition that I went to at the Tate Modern was anything to go by.
Old 24-09-2007, 17:47   #109
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

I think it's a difference of sublty and style.
Dali is more in your face shouting "Cooooeeeeeee! I'm a surrealist, aren't I special, look at me everyone, over here!" while Giger's artwork is like someone calmly sitting in the corner reading a deep book.

Similarly if I compare Boris Vallejo's artwork to that of his wife, Julie Bell, I much prefer his, simply because of her use of "metal skin" which I think detracts from the quality of the rest of her artwork, especially when done in silver/chrome. She also seems to have trouble with angled hips, or maybe it's the models she uses...
Old 24-09-2007, 21:07   #110
Enuff

You've got to hand it to them! ::Link::
Old 25-09-2007, 02:19   #111
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

LOL@ Enuff, Thats cool but close eye tells me they are not real but modified. The elafant for example looks to crisp for any paint I know. Forgive me if its meant to be digital but it looks it anyway.

Nearly all look enhanced which i suppose you could say is art, but i prefer as do most artists, to not alter their work, no matter what medium they work with.

Dont get me wrong im not having a go, im just saying artists take pride in what they do, and it takes a bad artist to change the original, these images are good work, but look false because in my opinion thay have been touched up, and thats a shame. If they havent then my god yes, but as an artist i can see its altered hehe.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 23:24   #112
Enuff

Artist, Guido Daniele at work.
Old 25-09-2007, 23:33   #113
Xaccers
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff View Post
See, to me, that is much better surrealism than Dali's work.
The artwork is primary, the surrealism (of it actually being someone's hand) is secondary.
Old 29-09-2007, 13:32   #114
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Some quirky street art...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 21:50   #115
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cool Re: Is it Art?

All I can say about these hyper-realistic pieces is wow!
Old 29-09-2007, 22:01   #116
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
All I can say about these hyper-realistic pieces is wow!
I found those a little scary, mainly the changes in scale, i think - but 'wow', indeed
Old 30-09-2007, 02:20   #117
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Disturbing and thought-provoking.
Caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 10:09   #118
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Artistic paddy fields...

I think Nug left one of the comments:

Quote:
Very nice. Except growing an image of the Mona Lisa is clearly in violation of international copyrice law.
Old 16-10-2007, 22:12   #119
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

It's for ewe...
Old 16-10-2007, 23:52   #120
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]