Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2008, 22:58   #9121
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
http://www.aboutus.org/CandlesTicker.com

LOL
Ali? You're a pezevenk.

And no I'm not Turkish, but I used to work with a few.
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2008, 23:12   #9122
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
Ali? You're a pezevenk.

And no I'm not Turkish, but I used to work with a few.

that was quite tame

http://www.babylon.com/definition/PEZEVENK/English
Old 16-06-2008, 23:16   #9123
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post

Bearing in mind what I could have said in Turkish, yes.
Old 16-06-2008, 23:20   #9124
ImaJack
Inactive

ImaJack is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
As a demonstration of support, can anyone who has been with this since the start but been quiet recently respond to this thread with these simple words:

I'M STILL HERE

O.
Yep, I'm still here, I read every post although the technical details will forever elude me, my skills are not those of IT.

I'm still as choked off about this issue as I was when it first came to my notice in March, and even now I'm astonished and extremely p****d off that BT, my ISP (sorry my ex ISP) are still going ahead with it.

I still offer my support to those opposing Phorm/webwise and BTs involvement in it.
Old 16-06-2008, 23:50   #9125
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Anyone heard any news of the long awaited PIA?

I believe it was expected to be phinished last Friday. Has it phinally been handed to Phorm yet?
I expect if it turns out to be unphavourable that it will be philed away.

Seriously though, the longer it takes the less relevant it is likely to be.
Old 16-06-2008, 23:55   #9126
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Ok, I get a message from my virus software that somone is trying to connect remotely to my PC.

So I check the logs....

I have had over 200 attempts to access my PC, all randomly selected from about 20 IPS*, all trying different ports.

My logs contain a total of 30 attempts IN A YEAR, then over 200 in 4 hours!!! WTF?

Anyone else record anything strange today?

* I've checked the IPs on Ripe, and there are common factors: 1/. about half are within VMs Network 2/. a quarter from Germany 3/. a quarter from the Ukraine
Just a few port scans over the last few days. (On VM). You must be popular!

Have you checked here https://isc.incidents.org/trends.html to see what's hot at the moment?
Old 17-06-2008, 00:01   #9127
wecpc
Inactive

wecpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Ok, I get a message from my virus software that somone is trying to connect remotely to my PC.

So I check the logs....

I have had over 200 attempts to access my PC, all randomly selected from about 20 IPS*, all trying different ports.

My logs contain a total of 30 attempts IN A YEAR, then over 200 in 4 hours!!! WTF?

Anyone else record anything strange today?

* I've checked the IPs on Ripe, and there are common factors: 1/. about half are within VMs Network 2/. a quarter from Germany 3/. a quarter from the Ukraine
I had the same prolem a couple of weeks ago, when my router detected loads of 'port scans' on all different ports which where all blocked. So I subsequently re-booted my router to get a different IP address and so far no more problems.
They all originated from Shanghai China and was the same IP in all cases.

Colin
Old 17-06-2008, 00:08   #9128
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblonsky View Post
Ask any marketeer what their understanding of "opt-in" is.

"opt-in" means the tick box says "tick here if you want to receive junk mail"

"opt-out" means the tick box says "tick here if you do not want to receive junk mail"

Now I suspect that someone in BT/Phorm has interpreted the ICOs recommendation to mean that users can be plagued by these interstitian *demands* for consent whenever they delete their cookies so long as the screen says

"Join webwise today, it's fun, free and makes the world a better place, tick here if you agree".

Clicking cancel will opt you out and BT/Phorm hope this satisfies the lawyers.

As a technologist and protocols expert I have to seriously disagree. Opt-in to my mind means a clean connection until I take the action of visiting the BT website and chosing to turn Phorm on.

BT and Phorm to my mind know this is a non-started and are looking, I would imagine, for a compromise which allows them to prove to the ICO that it is "opt-in" whilst actually getting enough customers to make it worth while, i.e. coming up with a fudged definition of opt-in.
Totally correct but in a nutshell.

If the subscriber chooses nothing, and clicks OK what happens next determines whether it is optout or an optin system IMHO.

If the user does nothing apart from clicking OK and he is still opted out (the status Quo). It is an opt in system.
If the user does nothing and clicks OK and he is automatically opted in.
It must be an Opt Out system.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:15   #9129
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

More rumour, this received from a trusted friend...

"BT recently asked all their staff from across the whole group (not just BT retail) what they thought of Phorm/Webwise. Not a single person from within BT responded with a positive comment."

Anyone with friends in BT able to confirm?
Old 17-06-2008, 00:20   #9130
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post

"BT recently asked all their staff from across the whole group (not just BT retail) what they thought of Phorm/Webwise. Not a single person from within BT responded with a positive comment."

Can't say I would be suprised after all thjey will also nmot want the stalking of Phorm on their connection..

I have heard a rumour that it is 90% certain VM will not go Phorm Told my informer if they do now roll out phorm then they are in deep brown stuff.

But he agrees we can't ease up on the campaign have to keep pushing or they will retry to stealth it in...
Old 17-06-2008, 00:30   #9131
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

I would love to believe it, but I can't see BT leaving themselves hostage to fortune by asking the question in the first place.

Similarly, I can't see them allowing the result to be known if it was asked.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:31   #9132
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Am I understanding right... that you heard a rumour that there is a 90% chance VM will not roll out webwise, and you told your informer if they roll it out they will be in deep brown stuff?

I must admit, there was talk a while back that VM were going to send letters to all customers about webwise. To date I have received nothing!
Old 17-06-2008, 00:35   #9133
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

Quote:

heard from a vm worker they not happy about it, them and the ones they work with in the support call centre.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:41   #9134
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Yes, its a bit mischievous. But I thought it was funny. Goodnight for now.
Old 17-06-2008, 00:44   #9135
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
heard from a vm worker they not happy about it, them and the ones they work with in the support call centre.
I remind them every week or so that if they turn phorm on, it will get the blame for everything that goes wrong.

It's all coming their way.
Closed Thread