Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 21:19   #76
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Wink Re: Another speed increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
Chill out.

I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.
I suppose that this "announcement" will be a good trial for the new mods...see how they handle it
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 21:24   #77
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Another speed increase?

Sounds good to me, I still remeber being on dial up and my phone bill looking like a phone number
Old 07-08-2005, 22:25   #78
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

So hope though that those on 2mb like I am get a decent offer to move upto the new speeds, and that the don't expect us to be paying some stupid extra on our bill.

I for one won't be paying will stick to my trusty 2mb until I can be bothered to upgrade. Bigger fish to fry right now with my new house, but by time NTL get around to giving us 10mb likely Japan will beon 30gb bandwith.
Old 07-08-2005, 22:40   #79
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I'm still holding on to 300k, but watching intently - while 1Mbit and a low quota for the same price is NOT an attractive option, I'd be happy to go with £10 + £1 a gig, at a much greater speed - that is, unless the faster speed opens up more things worth using, when NTL will be the happy one!
Old 07-08-2005, 23:23   #80
Downloads
Inactive

Downloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation eraDownloads has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via ICQ to Downloads Send a message via MSN to Downloads

Did someone say this was a stop gap till 100mb Ethernet? I hate to ask someone to spell this out for me but i might faint. There is a chance NTL could provide 100mb connections? Is this what 100mb ethernet is??? *feeling giddy*
Old 08-08-2005, 00:07   #81
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Who said they were going to give you a choice? I dunno about anybody else, but the speed upgrade of past was just a stepping stone in keeping up high with DSL competition, whereas this is proper restructure of the system.

If the shift everybody up to 10mb with varied allowances, then that will force those who are holding steady on the lower tiers who are deemed to be heavier users to move up or move out. I sure know people who aren't noobass users but don't want to pay extra either.

I couldn't really care about their plight though, I just want be able to be safe with ntl with a nice allowance as opposed to the unrational guidelines they have now or they could lose one of many customers.
Old 08-08-2005, 00:37   #82
Electrolyte01

Hmm, sounds too good to be true. Well, we will find out eventually

Old 08-08-2005, 01:16   #83
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

ive not read through the threas as yet but i found this:

Quote:
Recognizing that advanced forms of DSL and, especially fiber-to-the-home deployments are a threat, the cable industry is buzzing about next generation DOCSIS 3.0 technology that will bond four or more 6 MHz channels into a behemoth data pipe capable of delivering 160 Mbps of data to an individual user[/
Quote:
The speed DOCSIS 3.0 promises - up to 2.5 Gbps downstream to a 20,000-home hub - is really somewhat ridiculous, nearly everyone at the cable gathering concedes, but thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a reality of a newly competitive space.

http://www.telecommagazine.com/newsg....asp?Id=AR_866
Old 08-08-2005, 02:59   #84
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Good link but its not even a standard yet and as I understand, the current modems wouldn't be compliant with that. If they are announcing it now, then its safe to assume it will run on the current system.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14   #85
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Good news, I would expect this will happen at the time they provide traffic usage graphs for customers and so the soft cap becpmes hard cap but I think the caps will be much higher then current for various reasons.

1 - The burst speed is been raised x5 on the mainstream package and leaving the cap limit unchanged would reflect an imbalance.
2 - Recently one of the major adsl players wannadoo gave free cap increases and is announcing llu upgrades to its network which will probably result in higher caps, this will make ntl (and BT) react with their cap levels.
3 - Other isp's who have caps on a similiar product such as ukonline set their cap levels at 500gig, ukonline recieved quite some publicity so people are aware of what the competition offers.
4 - I think NTL are planning more then just internet on the new infrastructure so it is capable of quite a lot more then previously so can handle higher limits.
5 - A soft cap can be low since noone is really affected by it, when it becomes a hard cap, whilst maximising revenue NTL wont want too many customers to be hitting the cap and making a big noise about those who do hit a low cap.

I expect we will start seeing this in about 6 months then?
Old 08-08-2005, 05:05   #86
hutchy
Inactive

hutchy is an unknown quantity at this point

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm

There's the story from BBC
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12   #87
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Well i think this bit helps:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
NTL also said that usage allowances would go up from 30GB to 75GB a month.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:03   #88
Caster
Inactive

Caster is an unknown quantity at this point

75GB is more then enough for me.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:18   #89
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Woah hold the press stop the folds.

I pay £24.99 for 2mb per month, and I will get 10mb for no extra cost.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20   #90
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

great there goes my low ping for online gaming
Closed Thread