Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

Old 11-03-2005, 19:28   #1
Zest
Inactive

Services: Sky..?
Zest is on a distinguished roadZest is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Zest
A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

I'm trying to set up my router (Linksys BEFSR41 Wire) with my ntl:modem (I still don't know the name of it, but its the grey one that lays on its belly).

The thing is, when I'm setting up the router using the CD it requires me to connect the modem to the router so it can find the internet. However, when i plug the modem cable into the internet slot, the light doesn't light up and the instillation CD cannot find the internet connection. The connection between the PC and the router seems to be fine (The light's on).

'wondering if anyone could help
Zest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2005, 19:39   #2
setch
Inactive

setch is on a distinguished roadsetch is on a distinguished road
Re: A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

You don't need to install any software for the Linksys router. Plug the ethernet cable from the NTL modem into the WAN port on the Linksys. Plug the cable from the PC NIC into the first port on the Linksys.

I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1, this will allow you to see if the router has picked up an IP from the modem. If it has not, then you may need to clone the MAC of the PC onto the router.

If it has picked up an IP, then you should also have an IP of 192.168.1.2 or something close assigned to your PC and you should be able to ping www.ntlworld.com

Hope that helps

Setch
setch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 19:43   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

No specific ideas, since I have a STB. Presumably you have done the obvious, once plugged in, of switching everything, modem, router, PC off and rebooting in sequence?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 19:46   #4
Zest
Inactive

Yup I've done that. I'll go give it another go though.
Old 11-03-2005, 19:50   #5
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Moved to computers & IT
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 20:01   #6
Zest
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by setch
I think the config address for the router is 192.168.1.1,
How would I use the config address? In internet explorer or elsewhere? :S
Old 11-03-2005, 20:06   #7
setch
Inactive

In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual
Old 11-03-2005, 20:11   #8
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by setch
In your browser

HTTP://192.168.1.1

Look up the ID and password in the router manual
user = admin

password = admin

works for me
Old 11-03-2005, 20:33   #9
Zest
Inactive

Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-03-2005, 20:34   #10
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them

Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 20:35   #11
setch
Inactive

Is it prompting you for the ID and Password? You do not need to enter the ID, leave that blank and just enter admin as the password.
Old 11-03-2005, 20:52   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I have the same router and I did not install the software for the modem or the router. just plugged in and it works.
Old 11-03-2005, 20:54   #13
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zest
Hmm... I've tried doing the user and password above and its not letting me.. Wish i kept the goddam box. Any other suggestions?
both ways should work

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?
Old 11-03-2005, 21:01   #14
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them

You could try a hard reset on the router. Get a paperclip & poke into reset hole. You need to hold this down for 30 seconds !

PS. You aren't using a cross-over ethernet cable by mistake by any chance?

Also, make sure u haven't plugged into the Uplink Port on the router (if the model has one)
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 21:07   #15
Zest
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
both ways should work

ok you said about lights on the router - if you have just the modem plugged into the WAN port of the router, what lights show & what are they doing, steady or flashing?
I'm guessing the WAN hole is the internet hole. When i plug the cable from the modem into the router, none of the lights do anything (apart from 1, which is connected to my computer. It flickers)

Quote:
Actually:
user = blank (leave blank)
password = admin
I've tried that and it also hasn't worked

EDIT: I'm using a crossover cable for the modem to the router. That's the only way i usually can get the internet from the modem unless i use a USB cable.