Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | step by step help pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

step by step help pls

Old 09-03-2005, 19:37   #1
bb31
Inactive

bb31 has reached the bronze age
bb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to bb31
step by step help pls

rite..... once had my computers networked wirelessly.......now i dont

sick and tired of modem trailing across living room to laptop and want to sort it if poss(no cost involved either!)

firstly(so i dont have to move) ive put the d-link airplus dwl G650+ thingy into the network slot on laptop and nothings happened (no lights on) oh and btw ive lost the disc for this. haha surprise surprise.

when i look in device manager, it is shown there and has an exclamation mark next to it. when i try to trouble shoot to sort it it comes up with ......
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

whats the next step from here (in easy peasy english please) no lights on me either

or is it knackered?
bb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2005, 19:48   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: step by step help pls

How about a driver to help it along?
http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...&sec=0#drivers
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 20:53   #3
bb31
Inactive

bb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze age

cheers
step one over and done with, ive downloaded above and now have a light on for the first time in many months.

now....

ive plugged the router in and all lights on, cant connect from the internet on laptop and not on desktop

now im stuck

i dont know step two
Old 09-03-2005, 20:59   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb31
cheers
step one over and done with, ive downloaded above and now have a light on for the first time in many months.

now....

ive plugged the router in and all lights on, cant connect from the internet on laptop and not on desktop

now im stuck

i dont know step two
Which of these install guides is yours BB?? There are 3 different manuals depending on which revision of card you have.
Old 09-03-2005, 21:04   #5
bb31
Inactive

i downloaded the revision c one
Old 09-03-2005, 21:07   #6
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
i downloaded the revision c one
So this is your manual
http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...11&pv=38&sec=0
I'll have a look at it in a mo
You did of course remove the card, install those drivers, rebooted the computer and then plugged the card in didn't you ...
Old 09-03-2005, 21:13   #7
bb31
Inactive

see i cant even do that right!! sorry it was the B one.

but.......... even tho this network card is now lit up, i cant access the internet on the desktop. i dont know what ive done

maybe give up on me i have!!! thinking of wiping the desktop and starting again cos something not right with it,. Not used it for that reason since summer last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
So this is your manual
http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...11&pv=38&sec=0
I'll have a look at it in a mo
You did of course remove the card, install those drivers, rebooted the computer and then plugged the card in didn't you ...
yeh did it that way, i can connect from it., then it says no network set up, then i went up stairs and put the desktop on
Old 09-03-2005, 21:13   #8
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
see i cant even do that right!! sorry it was the B one.

but.......... even tho this network card is now lit up, i cant access the internet on the desktop. i dont know what ive done

maybe give up on me i have!!! thinking of wiping the desktop and starting again cos something not right with it,. Not used it for that reason since summer last year
LOL I'll go look at the right manual then
http://www.dlink.com/products/suppor...=11&pv=5&sec=0
It's probably just one setting that needs adjusting, try powering the pc down, remove card, power up, run the driver install again, power down, install card, power up.
Might kick start the install again
Old 09-03-2005, 21:14   #9
bb31
Inactive

does the desktop pc need to be working first? or can i just forget about that for the moment?
Old 09-03-2005, 21:15   #10
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
does the desktop pc need to be working first? or can i just forget about that for the moment?
Working in what way? Does the desktop access the internet ok when you hook it directly up to the broadband feed?
Old 09-03-2005, 21:17   #11
bb31
Inactive

Quote:
Working in what way? Does the desktop access the internet ok when you hook it directly up to the broadband feed?

errrrrmmmmmm no
Old 09-03-2005, 21:23   #12
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:

errrrrmmmmmm no
Ooookay lol Shall we back up a sec and get back to the basics on this ...
How are you accessing the broadband feed right now?
What operating systems are running on the computers to be networked?
Did you download the manual/ quick install guide from the link in my post above?
Old 09-03-2005, 21:31   #13
bb31
Inactive

i know im hard work!!!

im access the internet via external modem plugged into the laptop running windows xp professional and desktop has windows xp professional. I downloaded the drivers version B from your link.

got further than before cos now i have a light on card at side of this laptop. when that happened, i went and switched the router on, had all the lights on that ok and status light was lit up. changed the wire to the phone and tried to connect the laptop, thats when it said no network available.
Old 09-03-2005, 21:34   #14
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
i know im hard work!!!

im access the internet via external modem plugged into the laptop running windows xp professional and desktop has windows xp professional. I downloaded the drivers version B from your link.

got further than before cos now i have a light on card at side of this laptop. when that happened, i went and switched the router on, had all the lights on that ok and status light was lit up. changed the wire to the phone and tried to connect the laptop, thats when it said no network available.
Have you tried rebooting the router with everything plugged into it? I would power all the pc's down and the router, plug the feed into the router, reboot the router, wait for the lights to settle, reboot the pc's.
Is it a SACM by the way? If it is then power it down as well before changing anything around.
Oh and there are install guides, manuals and drivers at the link I posted It's what I'm reading through at the moment lol
This is the manual for the card
ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg650...manual_104.zip
very useful to have just in case you lost the one it came with
Old 09-03-2005, 21:45   #15
bb31
Inactive

errrrrrr sacm?? im with pipex.

ive found one book i got for the g650+ and cant get past step 4 as i havent got the utility icon in the taskbar.

might have a sleep before i tackle this again, or i might give up its too hard