Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A terminology question about Wirless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A terminology question about Wirless

Old 21-02-2005, 10:56   #1
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay
A terminology question about Wirless

If I want to bost a signal inbetween point a and point b because the signal from point a is not strong enough to reach point b, is this called a bridge, or something comlpetly different.

Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2005, 11:06   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: A terminology question about Wirless

A quick look on the web suggests that a wireless bridge is used to hook up an ethernet enabled device to a wireless network, so I would think the answer is no.

Edit: here is a link for a range expander (or repeater) £60 inc vat.
Old 21-02-2005, 11:16   #3
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age

So this says that, it is only compatible with certain linksys products, what I need to do is extend the range of a BT Voyager wirless ADSL router... mmm confusing..
Old 21-02-2005, 11:31   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I suppose you could give BT a ring to ask them what you should get. You'd think they should know if the sell the router.

http://www.shop.bt.com/page/technicalhelp

BT Voyager Home Network Modems/Routers
1 year
0906 302 0288
Old 21-02-2005, 11:34   #5
Millay
Inactive

Thanks will do that, I just assumed it was a standard peice of kit.. regardless of make..
Old 21-02-2005, 11:35   #6
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
A quick look on the web suggests that a wireless bridge is used to hook up an ethernet enabled device to a wireless network, so I would think the answer is no.

Edit: here is a link for a range expander (or repeater) £60 inc vat.
I have 12 of these here at work... and they only work with linksys products.... but they will piggy back each other, causing a MASSIVE wireless network

Edit :: wasnt very clear, it will only expand a linksys wireless access point or router, but any wireless can connect to it to use the network
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 11:35   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Actually, one trick that does apparently work is to place the antenna of the router in an empty Pringles tube (I kid you not).. http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/an...ypringles.html

That's assuming you want to direct the network.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 11:39   #8
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPhoenix
Edit :: wasnt very clear, it will only expand a linksys wireless access point or router, but any wireless can connect to it to use the network
Having 12 of them you probably know, but I think the Linksys compatibility thing is more to do with configuration rather than the standard itself.

YOu can do the same with the Apple Airport and the Apple Airport express devices. I think they took this route to build big wireless clouds in schools etc.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2005, 11:52   #9
Millay
Inactive

Ive got a D-Link Wirless Acess Point here, I hae just changed it to be a repeater for a belkin wirless ADSL Router. and its working fine, wonder i fusing one of these would work it just works by MAC address, so im guessing so.
Old 21-02-2005, 20:11   #10
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Having 12 of them you probably know, but I think the Linksys compatibility thing is more to do with configuration rather than the standard itself.

YOu can do the same with the Apple Airport and the Apple Airport express devices. I think they took this route to build big wireless clouds in schools etc.
Yeah, 2.4Ghz 802.11a/b/g should all be compatible..... Its how the devices talk to each other, linksys have designed there expanders to talk to the linksys equipment (linksys routers have a mini copy of linux on them) and i would assume that the expanders have the necessary connection details to be able to talk to them correctly. I tried to connect one to a D-Link setup we had, whilst it would connect to the D-Link router with no problems, it wouldnt allow traffic to pass through
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote