Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need to copy a file accross the network....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need to copy a file accross the network....

Old 02-03-2005, 19:05   #1
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix
Need to copy a file accross the network....

Hi all,

Ok then, situation is we have a new license file that needs to be installed on every desktop, i really cant be arsed (is the best way of putting it) to go round to each desktop and get the file and put it into the correct place... i tried to write a bat script, but obviously batch scripts only work in dos, and dos doesnt like UNC paths.... any other ideas??? what i want to be able to do, is send an e-mail to them all, and they click the link on their e-mail and it does the rest for them.... it doesnt overwrite, or anything like that, it is a new license file...

The desktops concerned are a mixture between XP Pro, and Win2K

Thanks
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2005, 19:17   #2
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Re: Need to copy a file accross the network....

What's the "license file"?
Can't you make an MSI to deploy or maybe drop a script into the logon server share?
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 19:23   #3
KingPhoenix
Inactive

KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array

they dont all have script logins only specfic dept's do

the license file is for a new internal messenger system that we started using.... the 7 day trial expired so i bought it today.... they require the license file to be dropped in with the installation.....
Old 02-03-2005, 19:28   #4
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Tricky...
The only way I can see is doing this:
- Create a .zip with "install.bat" and "license.lsc" (or whatever the filenames are)
- Tell them to extract the .zip to their desktop and run the batch file which copies the license to the location.

Complicated though, and will probably mean many users messing it up.
I'm sure someone else can think of a better way.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 19:36   #5
KingPhoenix
Inactive

mmmm..... i mean there has to be a windows based way, just not sure which :S

found it

dos didnt like the c:\program files\ etc.... so changed it to the old dos, and it worked perfectly (i.e. c:\progra~1\)
Old 02-03-2005, 20:26   #6
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Are all the machines on the network?

perform a net view > machines.txt
edit machines.txt to remove the information not required leaving you with \\machinename on each line
write a batch file with something along the lines of:
@echo
copy mylicencefile.lic %1\c$\locationoffile

then use from a cmd prompt:
for /f %v in ( machines.txt ) do batchfile %v

This will call the batch file for each line in the machines.txt providing the content of each line in variable %v

PS. You'll need to be an admin on each box to connect to the C$ share!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 21:55   #7
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
Are all the machines on the network?

perform a net view > machines.txt
edit machines.txt to remove the information not required leaving you with \\machinename on each line
write a batch file with something along the lines of:
@echo
copy mylicencefile.lic %1\c$\locationoffile

then use from a cmd prompt:
for /f %v in ( machines.txt ) do batchfile %v

This will call the batch file for each line in the machines.txt providing the content of each line in variable %v

PS. You'll need to be an admin on each box to connect to the C$ share!
The issue is spaces in filenames. Haven't tried it, but suspect you could mod the above to

copy mylicencefile.lic "%1\c$\locationoffile"

or similar. I think the key is to enclose paths containing spaces in quotes.
Old 02-03-2005, 22:00   #8
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
The issue is spaces in filenames. Haven't tried it, but suspect you could mod the above to

copy mylicencefile.lic "%1\c$\locationoffile"

or similar. I think the key is to enclose paths containing spaces in quotes.
Correct you can...or as KP did use the DOS 8.3 filename
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 22:35   #9
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Sweet, thanks guys.....

Ill have to sort them all out with login scripts, even if it just says weclome... really, so that in the future i wont need to naff around with stuff like this :p
Old 03-03-2005, 08:17   #10
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Doesnt anyone use windows scripting?

I thought that was supposed to be able to replace dos batch files & work over networks easily etc.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote