Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router blocks all new connections.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router blocks all new connections.

Old 19-02-2005, 11:03   #1
Thorny
Inactive

Thorny is an unknown quantity at this point
Router blocks all new connections.

Hi

I play games alot, specifically HL related games like CS. When I use the steam server search(or any server search software), I manage to get a full search of servers, I get roughly 1000 servers listed, I can then connect to a game and play, but when I refresh the list of servers they just all die and timeout. Then I fire up firefox and try to search the net but that times out too. everything ele that requires a net connection doesnt work, except connections that are already open, such as IRC, ventrillo or an internet stream radio. The only solution is to reboot my router, which is a 3Com SecureRouter. I have tried all manner of settings in the routers config and even turned of the firewall but I get the same result. I cant even connect to the routers config page to view the logs

Ive got ntl 1.5 meg and WinXpSP1. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

T
Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2005, 14:52   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router blocks all new connections.

Difficult to say, but it's possible that your system is trying to make too many simultaneous connections. Many who uses P2P software see this issue. Somehow, it may be that your steam search program (I have never tried it so don't know) is making connections and trying to maintain thos connections to each of the 1000 servers, even though you only want one. A refresh then overloads your router / ntl (I assume you have a cable modem not STB). It's to do with the upstream path. Somehow you need to reduce the number of connections steam makes / maintains.

and BTW you may wish to consider ugrade to M$ Win XP 2. Won't solve this problem, but it's always sensible IMO to run fully patched software.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 20:34   #3
Thorny
Inactive

thanks for the advise. I am considering asking a friend what router they use and then will probably get one of those instead.

I was reluctant to upgrade to SP2 because ive heard about problems people have but I will research that more and find out if any of the issues will effect me
Old 19-02-2005, 20:39   #4
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

Does it happen if you connect the modem directly to the PC?
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2005, 11:49   #5
Thorny
Inactive

nope only since i got the router. I need the router for the other PC's dotted around the house as I am not sleeping in a room with a PC constantly on to let everyone else access the net(night worker )
Old 22-02-2005, 00:01   #6
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Re: Router blocks all new connections.

Thorny, are you wanting to go for the Wireless or Wired router?

if you are going for a "Wired" router I'd suggest getting a Belkin one, I bought a Belkin 4 Port Gateway Router and it runs like a dream, I've opened all the correct ports needed for all sorts of things (MSN, ICQ, IRC, Games etc.) and it runs SUPERBLY! I've had no problems and its so so easy to set up and use...

If you want more info give me a shout!

Cheers,
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2005, 15:28   #7
Thorny
Inactive

cool. yeah wired is my prefered method of routerage

is it this one

if not can you PM me the model and where ya got it from

Thanks
Old 23-02-2005, 17:20   #8
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them

nah mate, its this one:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2EyRouters%2F

it may look ugly as fook but it works like a dream! I strongly recommend it
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote