Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:48   #7591
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

A new post from one of the Virgin Media Forum Team on the lack of Disney+ availability:

I apologise for the issue you are having, at present I can confirm that we aren't able to provide Disney+ as an application on our Virgin V6 boxes, this is as Sky have bought exclusive rights to it at present.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...v/td-p/4196306
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2020, 11:58   #7592
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
A new post from one of the Virgin Media Forum Team on the lack of Disney+ availability:

I apologise for the issue you are having, at present I can confirm that we aren't able to provide Disney+ as an application on our Virgin V6 boxes, this is as Sky have bought exclusive rights to it at present.

Well that is short and sweet and ends any hope some had.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:15   #7593
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Yeah. Someone on the forum whinges with VM's response but I can see that Sky would insist on an exclusive deal for say a year in return for letting Disney + have rights to Fox content Sky had exclusive rights to. But I can see if you're not too great with technology, it's easier to have access via one remote control and interface.

I think this situation has arisen in other countries eg France it's just on Canal .
Old 08-04-2020, 14:04   #7594
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Exactly what i told people on here but what do i know eh?
Afterall the company i work for only deals with these contracts etc.
Old 08-04-2020, 14:17   #7595
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

That seems to fly in the face of other reports that Sky was unable to achieve the exclusivity it wanted. Very strange.

Virgin will need to move much quicker in acquiring rights in future if it is to achieve its goal of being a super-aggregator of content if this is correct. I wonder if that member of the VM Forum team has got that right? After all, Disney + appears on other non-Sky platforms (Amazon for one).

I'm not convinced at this point.
Old 08-04-2020, 15:49   #7596
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That seems to fly in the face of other reports that Sky was unable to achieve the exclusivity it wanted. Very strange.

Virgin will need to move much quicker in acquiring rights in future if it is to achieve its goal of being a super-aggregator of content if this is correct. I wonder if that member of the VM Forum team has got that right? After all, Disney + appears on other non-Sky platforms (Amazon for one).

Sky's deal is not exclusive because O2 have a deal with Disney as the mobile partner.

And it's not exactly difficult to ascertain that Sky probably have a deal that gives them a period of timed exclusivity as the pay tv partner at launch not unlike pay tv deals struck by Disney across Europe with the likes of Movistar, Deutsche Telekom, Timvision and Canal Plus... in all of these regions Disney have done a variety of deals relevant to those markets whether timed or multi-year. And yet the service is still available D2C in those markets so no different to here.

I think it's reasonable to suggest we will see D+ on Virgin, BT and Talktalk in due course - just a question of when that window opens for other pay tv partners to join the fray.
Old 08-04-2020, 17:01   #7597
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

VM will not move faster VM are what's called a leech they rely heavily on other providers channels, VMs portfolio has certainly improved under Liberty Global and they now have their own portfolio of channels, well LG do.
Being a leech isn't a bad thing but it can backfire spectacularly especially as VM have in the past picked fights with SKY,BT,UKTV etc.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

[

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Sky's deal is not exclusive because O2 have a deal with Disney as the mobile partner.

And it's not exactly difficult to ascertain that Sky probably have a deal that gives them a period of timed exclusivity as the pay tv partner at launch not unlike pay tv deals struck by Disney across Europe with the likes of Movistar, Deutsche Telekom, Timvision and Canal Plus... in all of these regions Disney have done a variety of deals relevant to those markets whether timed or multi-year. And yet the service is still available D2C in those markets so no different to here.

I think it's reasonable to suggest we will see D+ on Virgin, BT and Talktalk in due course - just a question of when that window opens for other pay tv partners to join the fray.
SKY is exclusive paytv platform of D+, O2 do not have a tv platform as of yet so you can not compare the two.
Old 08-04-2020, 17:10   #7598
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
VM will not move faster VM are what's called a leech they rely heavily on other providers channels, VMs portfolio has certainly improved under Liberty Global and they now have their own portfolio of channels, well LG do.
Being a leech isn't a bad thing but it can backfire spectacularly especially as VM have in the past picked fights with SKY,BT,UKTV etc.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

[

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

SKY is exclusive paytv platform of D+, O2 do not have a tv platform as of yet so you can not compare the two.
To be fair I did make the distinction that O2 were the mobile partner - so Sky are not the only 3rd party retailing the service for Disney but yes by all evidence Sky are the pay tv partner and O2 the exclusive mobile partner. Though either way still not sure it will convince OB! 😂
Old 08-04-2020, 18:10   #7599
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
To be fair I did make the distinction that O2 were the mobile partner - so Sky are not the only 3rd party retailing the service for Disney but yes by all evidence Sky are the pay tv partner and O2 the exclusive mobile partner. Though either way still not sure it will convince OB! 😂
Well, I don't know - all I can say is that I read that Sky tried to get an exclusive deal but failed. I'm not sure what to believe, to be honest.
Old 08-04-2020, 18:45   #7600
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, I don't know - all I can say is that I read that Sky tried to get an exclusive deal but failed. I'm not sure what to believe, to be honest.
There's always speculation about these things prior to launch, and there was talk of exclusive Sky integration whilst other pay TV platforms would just host the app. These events have not happened.

What to believe? I would start with the evidence of my own eyes. They show that Disney+ has two exclusive arrangements in place in the UK: O2 for mobile and Sky for pay TV.
Old 08-04-2020, 20:14   #7601
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
There's always speculation about these things prior to launch, and there was talk of exclusive Sky integration whilst other pay TV platforms would just host the app. These events have not happened.

What to believe? I would start with the evidence of my own eyes. They show that Disney+ has two exclusive arrangements in place in the UK: O2 for mobile and Sky for pay TV.
Well, the Disney website says it's not exclusive to Sky. So there you have it. Only the integration is exclusive. Disney will be wanting to get their streamer on as many devices as possible, and we know that VM is interested, because they have been in talks with the company.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/virgin...he-uk-ireland/
Old 08-04-2020, 20:17   #7602
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That’s not an official Disney site - it’s a fan website.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/team/
Quote:
Here are the people behind What’s On Disney Plus:

Roger Palmer – Editor In Chief
Roger has been a Disney fan since he was a kid and this interest has grown over the years. He has visited Disney Parks around the globe and has a vast collection of Disney movies and collectibles. He is the owner of What’s On Disney Plus & DisKingdom.

Email: Roger@WhatsOnDisneyPlus.com
Twitter: Twitter.com/RogPalmerUK
Facebook: Facebook.com/rogpalmeruk

James H – What’s On Disney Plus Podcast Co-Host
James is a life-long comics and Star Wars fan, and a huge fan of the Toy Box in Disney Infinity. He has previously worked on IHeartInfinity.com and runs his own site, HeroicLegacy.com.

Email: James@WhatsOnDisneyPlus.com
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 08-04-2020, 20:36   #7603
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Quote:
Well, the Disney website says it's not exclusive to Sky. So there you have it. Only the integration is exclusive. Disney will be wanting to get their streamer on as many devices as possible, and we know that VM is interested, because they have been in talks with the company.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/virgin...he-uk-ireland/
That's a fansite who are only quoting what was apparently told to another site by Virgin... it's not a specific comment by Disney.

Are Virgin and Disney in talks? I would expect they would have given their long standing carriage agreements but clearly 'non-exclusivity' did not extend to a day one launch otherwise Virgin and BT would have been right there.

In the short term I would still look at the pattern across Europe where Disney have launched with specific partners - it's fairly normal practice for a product like Disney+ to scale by initially using exclusive launch partners (who may pay premiums for that privilege and likely also have to promote it like O2 are doing already)... the UK is likely no different yet I'm sure at some point Disney will extend to other platforms... I just would not rely on anything until an official release hits (or does not).

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 08-04-2020 at 20:40.
Old 08-04-2020, 20:50   #7604
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Question .how have i been offered it via my smart TV .not that I want it !

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Has anyone else had e mails on virgin address saying that you need to amend/change password followed up with your payment has not gone through..Guess it's a data breach on virgin ,as while I have a Netflix account it was not setup or run via my virgin email. Only happened after internet was down for about two days !!
Old 08-04-2020, 23:01   #7605
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Has anyone else had e mails on virgin address saying that you need to amend/change password followed up with your payment has not gone through
Be very wary. That sounds like a phishing attempt.

Some of the current ones are listed here:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...ernet_Security
Closed Thread