Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2020, 15:09   #7441
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You underestimate the progress that will be made by the next decade. Of course capacity is limited right now, but surely you are not suggesting that it will always be thus.

I trust that you now accept that there is enough electricity to cope with streaming these days!
Electricity consumption is actually falling in the UK - has been for over a decade. Tiny sticks, more energy efficient STBs and LED televisions contributing to this.
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2020, 16:16   #7442
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

This is purely anecdotal evidence but I'm not so sure Netflix's reduction in bitrates has been applied to the UK.
I'm still getting their full bitrate on UHD material today.

Pip's mention of CDN's is a bit of a red herring, all the streamers have their own CDN's or leased ones, for example BBC Iplayer has at least two leased CDN's.
ISP's optimise their infrastructure to provide a balanced delivery of all internet services,
however its not unknown for the likes of Netflix to pay to have their own infrastructure within an ISP's hence the furore in the US over the abandonment of net neutrality rules.

In the grand scheme of things whether a streaming service does or doesn't reduce bitrates or give a lesser service than we have paid for is irrelevant,
stay safe everyone here.l
Old 20-03-2020, 16:27   #7443
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You underestimate the progress that will be made by the next decade. Of course capacity is limited right now, but surely you are not suggesting that it will always be thus.

I trust that you now accept that there is enough electricity to cope with streaming these days!
This discussion has been going on, on this forum, for over 5 years now OB, how much more time do the networks need to provide enough bandwidth for just the existing streaming customer base to actually use it *instead of* sat/terrestrial linear broadcast? Because that’s the way you’ve always said we’re heading. Streaming continues to have a role in the mix but the infrastructure is way, way behind where it would have to be just for those who already have a Netflix account, to consume all of their tv via Netflix.

And re the power grid, don’t be silly - because the data networks *haven't* built out nearly enough capacity to support a fully IPTV delivered system, they aren’t drawing the sort of power that will blow every fuse in Britain. Only if they ever actually try, will we have to deal with that next, and rather serious, problem.
Old 20-03-2020, 16:28   #7444
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
This is purely anecdotal evidence but I'm not so sure Netflix's reduction in bitrates has been applied to the UK.
I'm still getting their full bitrate on UHD material today.

Pip's mention of CDN's is a bit of a red herring, all the streamers have their own CDN's or leased ones, for example BBC Iplayer has at least two leased CDN's.
ISP's optimise their infrastructure to provide a balanced delivery of all internet services,
however its not unknown for the likes of Netflix to pay to have their own infrastructure within an ISP's hence the furore in the US over the abandonment of net neutrality rules.

In the grand scheme of things whether a streaming service does or doesn't reduce bitrates or give a lesser service than we have paid for is irrelevant,
stay safe everyone here.l
I have no problem with you thinking its a red herring.

In other news Amazon follows suit.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...g-quality.html

Wonder what Disney will do?

Apparently VM and OR can't see a problem.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03...use-openreach/

Last edited by pip08456; 20-03-2020 at 16:57.
Old 20-03-2020, 20:34   #7445
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This discussion has been going on, on this forum, for over 5 years now OB, how much more time do the networks need to provide enough bandwidth for just the existing streaming customer base to actually use it *instead of* sat/terrestrial linear broadcast? Because that’s the way you’ve always said we’re heading. Streaming continues to have a role in the mix but the infrastructure is way, way behind where it would have to be just for those who already have a Netflix account, to consume all of their tv via Netflix.

And re the power grid, don’t be silly - because the data networks *haven't* built out nearly enough capacity to support a fully IPTV delivered system, they aren’t drawing the sort of power that will blow every fuse in Britain. Only if they ever actually try, will we have to deal with that next, and rather serious, problem.
Bandwidth will be made available as it is needed, and as it has done up until now. The coronavirus outbreak and the measures that have been taken to counteract it were not expected. With the sudden increased demand for streaming services and working from home, this has put the whole system under strain.

I have stated repeatedly on here that the future I envisage is related to 2035. What you and my other detractors on here keep doing is looking at every new situation and claiming that my prediction has not come to pass. This is not 2035, it's 2020 unless I've just gone through a timewarp.

I would like to know why you guys keep up these same tired arguments, despite the progress you see all around you. I guess I have some sympathy with you though Chris because I know that you have virtually no internet capacity where you live, but if you did have gigabit broadband I dare say you would see the future in a different light.

The 'lack' of electricity and bandwidth that may exist now will be resolved over the decade and things will look very different. But hey, if you believe that we will simply continue as we are now, that's fine. We'll look back on your scepticism in 15 years, and will we laugh? Yes, we will, and we will recall with amazement all that crap they pushed out on those inflexible scheduled TV channels, inundated with commercials! We will split our sides remembering all those recordings we tried to squeeze into our space limited hard drives and wonder how we managed before VOD and bookmarking. Oh, the good old days!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Virgin Media have negotiated a deal with NBC/Universal to bring their customers new cinema releases to help compensate for the cinemas being impacted by the Coronavirus.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...versal-at-home
Old 20-03-2020, 21:39   #7446
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

At £15.99 a pop
Old 21-03-2020, 01:17   #7447
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Orange in France are requesting Disney delay it’s launch next week
Old 21-03-2020, 07:33   #7448
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Bandwidth will be made available as it is needed, and as it has done up until now. The coronavirus outbreak and the measures that have been taken to counteract it were not expected. With the sudden increased demand for streaming services and working from home, this has put the whole system under strain.

I have stated repeatedly on here that the future I envisage is related to 2035. What you and my other detractors on here keep doing is looking at every new situation and claiming that my prediction has not come to pass. This is not 2035, it's 2020 unless I've just gone through a timewarp.

I would like to know why you guys keep up these same tired arguments, despite the progress you see all around you. I guess I have some sympathy with you though Chris because I know that you have virtually no internet capacity where you live, but if you did have gigabit broadband I dare say you would see the future in a different light.

The 'lack' of electricity and bandwidth that may exist now will be resolved over the decade and things will look very different. But hey, if you believe that we will simply continue as we are now, that's fine. We'll look back on your scepticism in 15 years, and will we laugh? Yes, we will, and we will recall with amazement all that crap they pushed out on those inflexible scheduled TV channels, inundated with commercials! We will split our sides remembering all those recordings we tried to squeeze into our space limited hard drives and wonder how we managed before VOD and bookmarking. Oh, the good old days!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Virgin Media have negotiated a deal with NBC/Universal to bring their customers new cinema releases to help compensate for the cinemas being impacted by the Coronavirus.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...versal-at-home
I don't need to wait fifteen years to get a laugh out of this subject.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:13   #7449
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
At £15.99 a pop
I know! Cheaper than the cinema, though.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:41   #7450
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Our local Vue is a fiver through the day (not including 3D or IMAX).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-03-2020, 11:48   #7451
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

But cinemas are closed anyway
Old 21-03-2020, 11:51   #7452
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
At £15.99 a pop
Yeah i lol'd at that price not many will pay that one thinks and it might further push people to alternative methods.
Samr prices on chilli, Amazon, Ratuken etc.

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Quote:
Cinemworld for me is £18.40p/m via a unlimited card or £10 a pop.
Old 21-03-2020, 12:05   #7453
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I think it is a good price - especially as you don't have the guy two rows back constantly talking - or the girl two rows down crunching her snacks - or the oldies who keep rattling the seats as they can't get comfy.
Old 21-03-2020, 12:44   #7454
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

For anyone looking for a bit more entertainment whilst many of us are virtually confined to our homes then cdkeys have some good cheap Now TV vouchers on sale (I think the one month movie or entertainment passes offer the best value)

https://www.cdkeys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=now%20tv
Old 21-03-2020, 17:15   #7455
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I'm expecting Now TV offers/retention deals to dry up soon. They simply won't need to offer them!

Re: Netflix. If a 25% reduction is said not to affect the picture quality, it begs the question as to why they use this amount of bandwidth anyway??
Closed Thread