Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 5 at no extra cost

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 5 at no extra cost

Old 22-10-2021, 23:53   #61
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Hub 5 at no extra cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
But it isn't (mainly) the risk from a power cut, but of the internet going down.

I get that equipping handsets with SIMs as a fall back would work fine. But how much would that tie people into VM handsets as opposed to being able to use their own, and what would be the process if these failed?

We had a day a few weeks back where our broadband was down for most of the day (about 10 hours). Whilst I could tether to my phone (and did in order to work) to get online (I have plenty of data) we could at least report the fault by phone, and around this point it was clear it wasn't just a local issue but more of an area issue. With all comms relying on the hub being online, doing that via anything but a mobile wouldn't have been possible.

Maybe the actual solution here is to equip the hubs with a mobile data backup in the event of the main connection being offline, for the primary purpose of alerting VM to the fact the hub is offline, and to allow emergency calls still?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8#post35981988
Quote:
Currently there is a battery back up unit that sits in between the Hub and the landline handset for those customers that need it. The need for this is identified during any conversation for a customer in an area where their phone will be provided via the Hub - including during the online ordering process.

If the power goes down to the Hub for any reason this will allow calls to the emergency services via the mobile phone network from the landline handset.
So, a non issue, it uses the mobile network. Problem solved, we can move on.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2021, 00:18   #62
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

if the power goes down to the hub, yes. But if the power doesn't and the upstream sync does, this workaround works then?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 00:33   #63
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
if the power goes down to the hub, yes. But if the power doesn't and the upstream sync does, this workaround works then?
You'd have to ask a VM staff member or someone that has one, but it would seem silly if it doesn't work in such a circumstance.

This seems like concern trolling really, as nobody here seems to actually NEED an EBUL, people are just constructing remote once in a lifetime probability collisions where a tiny number of people could maybe perhaps be affected.
Old 23-10-2021, 00:53   #64
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

VM's battery backup sim solution only allows 999 calls. Lifeline kit doesn't call 999, it usually calls a contact centre who will use the lifeline box to check the user is okay (they have speakers/mics on them) and then either contact relatives, neighbours or the emergency services. It's not just falls they cover either, some do health monitoring and all sorts of critical care monitoring.

If you need it, you need it. No concern trolling required.

Really simple way for VM to fix this is to just get rid of the 999 only restriction but monitor the SIMs for abuse. With letters before disconnecting the damned things, thank you very much.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 01:03   #65
rtho782
cf.addict

I don't think this is VM's problem to solve. Maybe the monitoring device should connect to the users mobile via bluetooth, or have it's own sim card.

Hell phones have accelerometers and speakerphones. This could be an app. I'm pretty sure there *is* an app that does this sort of thing.

https://www.seniorsafetyapp.com/

This "lifeline box" - https://www.lifeline24.co.uk/lifelin...larm-unit-box/ is literally a commercial service provided at significant cost. Maybe if the services their product depends on are dying out they should consider a 4g version, rather than insisting other companies - and their customers - subsidise them.

They also don't actually state who they are on their website. I think this is the legal entity - https://find-and-update.company-info...mpany/08718610 but their legal name, "LIFELINE24 LIMITED", and company number, seem to be nowhere on their website. Seems a bit dodgy to me, as that's illegal. Edit: it's on the terms page, but not the about us or contact us pages.

Another edit, the manufactuer of these devices makes a 4g VOIP version. Solved problem.

https://www.tunstall.co.uk/siteasset...et_2021-v2.pdf

Last edited by rtho782; 23-10-2021 at 01:12.
Old 23-10-2021, 02:07   #66
Bstall20
cf.member

Bstall20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pence View Post
Just got the email that the new Hub 5 is now available at no extra cost, so I went ahead and claimed mine. I'm currently on the Superhub 3.

I presume I can replace the Superhub 3 with this new Hub 5, correct?
What was the start of your link when you first got this email? My claim button doesn’t work, I’ve tried to get hold of Virgin Media but not very helpful at this stage I have a feeling the start of the link https://virginmedia.com/offers isn’t right as it comes up with 404
Bstall20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 12:13   #67
2pence
cf.member

Services: Gig1 Fibre Broadband
2pence is an unknown quantity at this point

Got email that Yodel will deliver the Hub 5 this afternoon.
Old 25-10-2021, 12:34   #68
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I so want the wifi 6 just to see if it fixes my air link woes on my Quest 2 hahaha
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 15:07   #69
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Let's hope it survives being drop-kicked over your gate.
Old 25-10-2021, 15:58   #70
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It will be somebody elses gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Let's hope it survives being drop-kicked over your gate.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 19:32   #71
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
It will be somebody elses gate
Must be very lucky NEVER had a problem with any courier
Old 25-10-2021, 19:33   #72
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

has it arrived yet ???
Old 25-10-2021, 19:35   #73
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
has it arrived yet ???
Has it heck as like.

Yodel are probably still using it in their sorting office version of the Davis Cup final.

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Must be very lucky NEVER had a problem with any courier
Me neither but the footage doesn't lie does it? Though they will be isolated incidents.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 19:47   #74
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Friend of my Dads caught a hermes driver opening a parcel and stealing it. Reported it and hermes and the old bill did diddly and it was all on cam
Old 25-10-2021, 20:15   #75
TAZMANUK
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt Package, V6, 1 gig bb, WiFi max 2 pods, maxit TV, anytime chatter
TAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the roughTAZMANUK is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TAZMANUK

Quote:

So did your hub 5 arrive?
TAZMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote