Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Labour Conference

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Labour Conference

Old 29-09-2021, 19:04   #61
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Labour Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
All I got was Waffler Starmer saying that all schoolkids will have to study music and learn an instrument.
Well we are apparently short of musicians , so he may have a point

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ge-occupations
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2021, 19:33   #62
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I heard that they want to bring back two weeks' work experience for children which Cameron had axed. This sounds like a good idea to me.
Is this what you're referring to.
Quote:
7. Up to 2012, schools and colleges were obliged to ensure that all students undertook
“work-related learning” (usually interpreted as work experience placements) at Key Stage
4 (aged 14–16). This obligation was removed in 2012, as recommended in the Wolf Review
of Vocational Education
.The Wolf Review also recommended that the Department for
Education should consider how older students, aged 16–19, could be better provided with
meaningful work experience. This would include those on academic pathways, such as
A-levels, as well as young people on vocational pathways such as apprenticeships which
must contain a practical element. In August 2013, implementing the Wolf Review, DfE
introduced a requirement for all 16–19 study programmes to include work experience
The requirement just moved to post-16.

I was lucky, decades ago I had a 3 week work experience job as a lab assistant. I doubt most of the possible work experience jobs are like that. I was the first one for that scheme to have a job like that.

There still schemes out there arranging such work experience, including the one that arranged mine. There just aren't going to be the sort of opportunities that kids are eager to do.

Every scheme that has tried to give young people some work experience has been criticised as being "slave labour".

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Not quite sure how many skilled Orchestral musicians that or anything else, would produce.
Quote:
Musicians – only skilled orchestral musicians who are leaders, principals, sub-principals or numbered string positions, and who meet the standard required by internationally recognised UK orchestras.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 19:56   #63
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I was waiting for the weather report before 1am on BBC News.
It's going to rain tomorrow. Lots of rain. Hope that helps.

Guess you must used to it down there? It never rains in Swansea so my Welsh Dad used to say, move there? Not sure he always told the truth tbh ...
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 22:26   #64
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Yup, although the sentence wasn't just about music:
Quote:
We want every child to get the chance to play competitive sport and play an instrument.
Also on education:
Quote:
Reading, writing and arithmetic are the three pillars of any education. We would add a fourth which sadly doesn't begin with R. Digital skills.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 11:33   #65
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Labour conference is one massive clown car, except the occupants seem to have no idea they’re in a circus and everyone’s laughing at them.

Last edited by Chris; 30-09-2021 at 13:43.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:26   #66
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post

Every scheme that has tried to give young people some work experience has been criticised as being "slave labour".
Yes, I think it is slave labour.

I have never been on ‘work experience’. I went straight into my first job following an interview, and was then subject to a probationary period, but I got paid for it.

The Labour Party really is not helping anyone here. They want to see unpaid work experience and they keep tightening up on employment laws which deters employers from taking on inexperienced people as paid employees in case they are hopeless and then have to dismiss them, which is a right palaver these days.

Labour needs to get real and stop pandering to knee-jerk employer-hating advocates.
Old 30-09-2021, 13:49   #67
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Every scheme that has tried to give young people some work experience has been criticised as being "slave labour"
I'm sure Jeremy Corbyn's bunch would call it that but if you can show a child a workplace and perhaps their parents have never worked then I think potentially you're doing the country a huge favour.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Labour conference is one massive clown car, except the occupants seem to have no idea they’re in a circus and everyone’s laughing at them.
I think it's a bit raw whereas others tend to be more stage-managed.
Old 30-09-2021, 13:50   #68
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I want to get rid of the SNP in Scotland, So I have not much choice but to vote Labour or Liberal as the Tory will never win here,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:57   #69
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I want to get rid of the SNP in Scotland, So I have not much choice but to vote Labour or Liberal as the Tory will never win here,
It’s a bit tricky in the central belt isn’t it. Where I presently live the Tories always have a fighting chance (and have previously held the constituency) so I’ve never yet been faced with the prospect of tactical voting.

I’m likely to be moving house early next year and while it is presently proper SNP bandit country it is one of the seats previously held strongly by Labour. I might just have to hold my nose and vote for them, because the Nats have thoroughly Balkanised Scottish politics now. It’s all about nationalism and identity and nothing to do with policies. So you have to either vote for the Nat, or vote for the person most likely to unseat the Nat.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:12   #70
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I think it is slave labour.
It's education. These are schoolkids who don't get paid anyway.

My two weeks at the NCB were the highlight of my school year.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:24   #71
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's education. These are schoolkids who don't get paid anyway.

My two weeks at the NCB were the highlight of my school year.
I think you'd need to be supping at Jeremy Corbyn's table to seriously think it's slave labour.
Old 30-09-2021, 16:14   #72
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 20:50   #73
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It’s a bit tricky in the central belt isn’t it. Where I presently live the Tories always have a fighting chance (and have previously held the constituency) so I’ve never yet been faced with the prospect of tactical voting.

I’m likely to be moving house early next year and while it is presently proper SNP bandit country it is one of the seats previously held strongly by Labour. I might just have to hold my nose and vote for them, because the Nats have thoroughly Balkanised Scottish politics now. It’s all about nationalism and identity and nothing to do with policies. So you have to either vote for the Nat, or vote for the person most likely to unseat the Nat.
If nobody wants one person to mean one equal vote in this country, then that's the way it is. We had the chance to move to PR but rejected it. Both of the main parties campaigned against it , and we voted as we were told, as usual. I'm sure you voted for PR at the time? That way you wouldn't have to contemplate voting for Labour, and you could be assured your vote counted.

Unless you are in one of the marginal constituencies, your vote means diddly squat. That's democracy, UK style.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 21:08   #74
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I see Starmer thinks the next James Bond should be a woman. Funny name for a woman…James.

Anyway, even funnier as Starmer doesn’t seem to know what a woman is.

I’m looking forward to watching “On Her Majesty’s Secret Cervix”
Old 30-09-2021, 21:11   #75
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I see Starmer thinks the next James Bond should be a woman. Funny name for a woman…James.

Anyway, even funnier as Starmer doesn’t seem to know what a woman is.

I’m looking forward to watching On Her Majesty’s Secret Cervix
One of the best yet!

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 30-09-2021 at 21:14.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote