Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 11

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Windows 11

Old 26-09-2021, 13:42   #76
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Windows 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
My notification is an icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen which states

And if I right click it and take the option "open Windows update", I get this screen

is that from the Beta Channel or from Windows 10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Ah if you do the windows insider program and get a beta version of windows 11 its not an official license?

Also what are the pros for android apps being on windows 11? I've heard about it but just wondering how ground breaking its going to be? Had twitter and whatsapp already on windows 10 etc
for me it will be to run things like TVTap, Smarterz and Cinema HD on my PC without a bloat/ad filled emulator. Plus other things like my Motorola security camera which never updated its web viewer after flash died
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2021, 14:43   #77
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From Windows 10
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 15:43   #78
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
From Windows 10
you must be privileged
Old 26-09-2021, 19:37   #79
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

I'm gonna be leaving this a few months to Iron out the bugs.

Take windows 10 even now it still has a few bugs that need to be ironed out.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 23:34   #80
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

The TPM thing is madness. I have a relatively recent Asrock board in my desktop but the TPM module wasn't enabled in the BIOS by default. Staggering logic really because if it's enabled and not being used it doesn't cause any issues but not everyone has the technical expertise to enable it.

Kinda emphasises why I'm more moving away from Windows to Macs these days, they just work better (and I get on with the OS better). If I could cram a mac with TBs of storage, I'd not use Windows again.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
It always used to be the rule in the IT community to not upgrade an OS and tbh I still think it is better to clean install and start again after you have the licence
It was up until about win7. Most Win10 upgrades are inherited W7 installs and to be honest most of them probably still function fine. W10 of course has installed a new OS on us twice a year. And most Linux distros allow an in-place upgrade as does MacOS.

It was always a Windows exception because MS couldn't ever handle the upgrade path without causing a performance nightmare. Something which they have thankfully sorted now.

Although considering it takes about 5 minutes to install a clean W10 from a USB3 drive to a fast SSD these days, it's perhaps still better...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 01:01   #81
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
The TPM thing is madness. I have a relatively recent Asrock board in my desktop but the TPM module wasn't enabled in the BIOS by default. Staggering logic really because if it's enabled and not being used it doesn't cause any issues but not everyone has the technical expertise to enable it.

Kinda emphasises why I'm more moving away from Windows to Macs these days, they just work better (and I get on with the OS better). If I could cram a mac with TBs of storage, I'd not use Windows again.

It was up until about win7. Most Win10 upgrades are inherited W7 installs and to be honest most of them probably still function fine. W10 of course has installed a new OS on us twice a year. And most Linux distros allow an in-place upgrade as does MacOS.

It was always a Windows exception because MS couldn't ever handle the upgrade path without causing a performance nightmare. Something which they have thankfully sorted now.

Although considering it takes about 5 minutes to install a clean W10 from a USB3 drive to a fast SSD these days, it's perhaps still better...
The main benefit in windows 10 installing is the sysprep it does automatically allowing hardware swapping including chipsets and even AMD to Intel swapping which used to just give you a BSOD

All the same rules apply though imo. Driver conflicts can still occur other software conflicts due to older software plus all the bloat you have accrued remains and some of that could even cause a conflict. Always better to clean install imo

I do keep an online catalogue of all the apps I regularly use( I do of course check for new versions it is just really for my old memory) and back up all my game saves and stuff like that so a clean install and set up is just an afternoons job where if done inefficiently can and often is for some a total night mare
Old 28-09-2021, 11:17   #82
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post

I had the same "opportunity" back in June when I was checking if my setup (Asrock Motherboard) was suitable/capable.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...S#post36084649
Old 28-09-2021, 13:26   #83
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I am happy with Windows 10
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 18:07   #84
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Upgraded this afternoon - took around 90 minutes, and so far, everything seems to be working (including battle.net and Call of Duty:Black Ops Cold War).
Old 29-09-2021, 21:19   #85
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Upgraded this afternoon - took around 90 minutes, and so far, everything seems to be working (including battle.net and Call of Duty:Black Ops Cold War).
Never mind kids games, does 'Cricket Captain 2021' work on W11? And is Solitaire and Battle Ships included? These are deal breakers ...
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 00:19   #86
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

VBS is borking gaming by upto 28%

Apparently, it should not be enabled by default when upgrading but maybe from a clean install and will be on OEMs

Should be able to disable the offending component of VBS (HCVI) by disabling Core Isolation is settings

https://www.pcgamer.com/windows-11-p...g-performance/
Old 03-10-2021, 16:32   #87
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I wonder how many people will get the upgrade on the release date.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 16:44   #88
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

I only went back to 10 to upgrade back to 11 to get the proper licence so I will. It is inevitable some of my clients will have issues so the upgrade will hopefully result in a pay day for me hahahaha
Old 03-10-2021, 17:39   #89
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

tried the checker on a few of my machines, 1 pc is core 2 duo using Win 10 insider - unsurprisingly that went "nah this is too old"

2 i5s probably about 6 years old also were too old.

my work laptop is a couple of years old, that passed, but i won't be putting it on that
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 19:36   #90
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Will u be able to force upgrade on the 5th by downloading a media creator like u could on windows 10?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote