Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unfair Rates of Pay...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unfair Rates of Pay...

Old 31-05-2006, 20:15   #31
Timeless Stew
Permanently Banned

Timeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the rough
Re: Unfair Rates of Pay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop80_uk
I have a degree, ECDL, GNVQ and also 11 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. They make no difference at all.
When I left Uni I applied for 45 jobs I got interviews for 6 and got only one the job im doing now, working for the as a Buyer, I earn much less than you would think.
Surprised... what Uni, what classification, what subject?
Timeless Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2006, 20:42   #32
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Come on then Pia - update required!! ;-)
Old 31-05-2006, 21:04   #33
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

I am in the same boat

I stared as an Agency lad then was taken on full time, and i though wicked, but then i was told i would have to do my probation again!! OK cool

But then i find out i am gonna stay as a quantiv Training Wage P**s take or what!!

My works mates early near £2 more an hour fink it stinks
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 21:21   #34
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

It's a way of saving a bit of dosh for the company involved I suppose....
Old 31-05-2006, 22:18   #35
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Go for it Pia.

I did A levels at school, went to uni then dropped out after 3 months. I then did low-paid wage work in insurance claims for 4.5 years (A levels are pretty useless without a degree).

I did AS-level maths in the evenings at college (as I failed it at school), then quit work and went full-time to uni to do an Electronic Engineering degree, at the age of 23 (11 years ago). After a series of interesting jobs I'm now doing software and electronics for a space company.

I've had numerous jobs both before and after uni. I've never quit one without planning something better to move on to, and it's always made me very nervous. But I've NEVER regretted any of the numerous moves I've made. The only regret is that sometimes I wish I'd done things sooner.

IT or electronics are pretty safe bets for good money and a secure future. If you're going to study then make it something useful (which basically means something a little difficult!). Sadly, a lot of people who go to uni or college get disappointed at the end when they realise their Underwater Basket-Weaving qualification is useless to employers!

Best of luck. Think big...
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2006, 22:53   #36
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Pia, be careful and chose you word carefully even right them down, you don't want to end up walking down a path that means you have to leave sooner rather than later.

Two jobs ago I was bing payed £3000 a year less than somebody doing a similar roll and when I as for the same I was told if you don't like it leave.

I stuck it out for another two years before they made a load of us redundant, A job later I've landed on my feet earning £5k a year more than my last job, and that will go up after the 3 month probation.

I know how you feel to have people around you being paid more for doing far less.
Old 31-05-2006, 23:40   #37
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Stew
Surprised... what Uni, what classification, what subject?
Staffordshire & Stoke Uni, BSc Hons in Business Telecommunications Technology (with intergrated Network technology and Maths for engineering)
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 00:04   #38
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury
Come on then Pia - update required!! ;-)
Ooooh this has turned out to be a good read!

I don't know what it is that makes me stay there, there's definitely something about the Hotel Industry that keeps people there, most of my friends are in the same frame of mind as me but just can't bring ourselves to go... I do love my job though, i love the fact it's a hotel and not a 'proper' job!

But saying that, i can have a future in it, unless i want to work unsociable hours & have crap pay all my life, and while it's been fun and has taught me a lot- i've got to better myself.

So, my plan is to start doing the college course, (not too sure which one though, if anyone could guide me from the earlier link that;d be good)
I think by starting a college course it will bring me more into the real world that being in a hotel is shutting me out of, and that will be a good starting point for getting into the right frame of mind and confidence boost that is needed for a change in career.
One step at a time, i'm not much of a spontaneous person, so i'll start with the computer course and go from there, i think
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:45   #39
Timeless Stew
Permanently Banned

Timeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the roughTimeless Stew is a jewel in the rough

The Darlington College courses look dull, let me put it another way, I can not see anyone giving you a job because you passed one of those courses.

I do not know how good your IT/math skills are. May suggest you take this course as a starters?

https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...?offerId=11583

You can study it for free using the US website (It ain't free in the UK) and then book yourself into a test center (25 quid for two tries- UK offer)

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/register/

And you can keep your job until you get the certification.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56   #40
DaggaDagga
Inactive

Services: Royal Mail snail mail. No telly. Wind-up gramophone. Posts: 125,837.56
DaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant futureDaggaDagga has a brilliant future

Quote:
Staffordshire & Stoke Uni, BSc Hons in Business Telecommunications Technology (with intergrated Network technology and Maths for engineering)
Sadly, I too went to this "uni". I've done alright, but in spite of the uni, not because of. It's a mickey mouse uni really. I did a sandwich course, and learnt far more in my year out than in 3 years there.

Unfortunately the lecturers are mostly bottom of the heap. They generally know little or nothing about what they're lecturing on. There were a few good ones between the dross though.

It seems to be more about getting students in, getting the money and giving them a certificate in something. I remember certain lecturers basically telling us exactly what would be in the exam, then the answers to ensure we passed.

All their "business" courses were looked down on, even within the uni. BIT (Business Information Technology) was the one that was most ridiculed.

I think generally, the longer a course name the less useful it will be. You'll end up with a bit of knowledge about everything, and little in-depth knowledge about anything.

Any degree wil only open doors. To get in, you must have solid knowledge of whatever subject your qualification is in, i.e. more knowledge than what's needed to pass the exam. Sandwich courses are a pretty excellent idea.
DaggaDagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:44   #41
Scarlett
Inactive

Scarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful oneScarlett is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggaDagga
Sadly, I too went to this "uni". I've done alright, but in spite of the uni, not because of. It's a mickey mouse uni really. I did a sandwich course, and learnt far more in my year out than in 3 years there.

Unfortunately the lecturers are mostly bottom of the heap. They generally know little or nothing about what they're lecturing on. There were a few good ones between the dross though.

It seems to be more about getting students in, getting the money and giving them a certificate in something. I remember certain lecturers basically telling us exactly what would be in the exam, then the answers to ensure we passed.

All their "business" courses were looked down on, even within the uni. BIT (Business Information Technology) was the one that was most ridiculed.

I think generally, the longer a course name the less useful it will be. You'll end up with a bit of knowledge about everything, and little in-depth knowledge about anything.

Any degree wil only open doors. To get in, you must have solid knowledge of whatever subject your qualification is in, i.e. more knowledge than what's needed to pass the exam. Sandwich courses are a pretty excellent idea.
I went to Keele but I won't quote the usual derogatory name of your uni on here *cough* staffs *cough* poly.

Sandwich courses are the best thing since sliced bread and I wish I'd done one because employers always want experience.

Even Keele isnt that well regarded in certain places and a 2:2 degree is a mile away from a 2:1* regardless of university.

Back on topic though Micro$oft qualifications are a good move, its not like the work won't be out there...

Scarlett.

*I got refused an interview 6 months ago because I had a 2:2 and not a 2:1 even though I have 5+ years of solid telecoms billing experience... a degree I did 7 years ago makes a difference to my ability to do telecoms support/consulting ?
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 14:04   #42
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaggaDagga

I went to Keele but I won't quote the usual derogatory name of your uni on here *cough* staffs *cough* poly.

Sandwich courses are the best thing since sliced bread and I wish I'd done one because employers always want experience.

Even Keele isnt that well regarded in certain places and a 2:2 degree is a mile away from a 2:1* regardless of university.

Back on topic though Micro$oft qualifications are a good move, its not like the work won't be out there...

Scarlett.

*I got refused an interview 6 months ago because I had a 2:2 and not a 2:1 even though I have 5+ years of solid telecoms billing experience... a degree I did 7 years ago makes a difference to my ability to do telecoms support/consulting ?
Bet they are regretting it now...If they picked someone with less experience.
Old 01-06-2006, 17:00   #43
Timeless Stew
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett

Scarlett.

The SS Poly qualification is very weak. Keele is in the bottom range of UK "old" Unis...

Having a first class degree from the Russell group of Unis in "underwater weaving" (!!!) will still get you a job. Unfair but true fact. A CS graduate from Imperial has higher chances of employment than one from Newcastle Uni. It's a statistical fact. The Newcastle guy could be the better candidate but people are biased... I have seen brilliant people from South Bank Uni/Poly -unemployable due to the poly stigma
Old 01-06-2006, 17:14   #44
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I have a degree, ECDL, GNVQ and also 11 GCSE's and 3 A-levels. They make no difference at all.
When I left Uni I applied for 45 jobs I got interviews for 6 and got only one the job im doing now, working for the as a Buyer, I earn much less than you would think. Have my qualifications paid for themsleves.....no
Everyone wants experience not qualifications.
Don't worry if you do choose to change it will be down to YOU, not what letters you after your name.
Im quite bitter about it all as I wasted effectively 5 years in education to get no where, I was even told at one interview it would have been better if Id been to prison and then reformed as that showed true character.

Good luck though!
Actually, whether you get a job depends on many things (although good qualifications can help). A friend of mine (actually ex-work colleague) had got a first in Computer Science. She left her job, deciding to seek her fortune in the big wide world. She sent off over 200 CVs before she even got a reply. Now she is a support analyst (or some such wierd title) for the First National Bank of New York, and is based in Canary Wharf.

Another friend of mine, who did the same degree a couple of years earlier (and got a 2:2) walked straight into a job with a large Oil exploration firm, who, when they closed their UK offices PAID for him to move to Texas, and sorted out his Green Card. He has since left that firm, but is working for a similar firm in Texas and is happily married with kids. He is also on a salary >£50,00 0 a year.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 17:53   #45
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

So my point is whatever will be will be.That you seek an education because you want one..not because it will necessarily get you a job.You should become the best educated person you can be because it suits you to do so.You may well have to work until you are 65+ but you will be educated for the entire length of your life.

Or not.You don't have to go for further education if you would rather not.Some people get very good jobs without the required education.They have the required get up and go that will make them a success no matter what they choice to do to earn a crust.My sister had no A-levels and no degree but still managed to end up as a manager of a paper mill in Hexham.A job that up until then had been a male preserve.

The thing is if you feel you are in a rut and you need something to make make some changes then the obtaining of some qualifications can give your self esteem a boost.Hopefully you will also get pleasure from getting an education that will remain with you for the rest of your life.

My sister despite her success has always regretted the lack of education which is why now she is retired she is attempting a new interest as a creative writer.She attends further education courses and has got some of her poetry published.

Education is for life and will be yours for all of your life.A job is just a means of earning the money to enjoy what you have learned.