Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)
Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2017, 11:57   #3646
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post

On a technical point; there's no reason why I couldn't keep VM Boradband and then have the new Sky TV installed is there?. What I mean is (and I'm not great technically) is there any reason why the new Sky TV Broadband wouldn't work if i stayed with VM as the broadband supplier?
Technically there is no reason why but I'm going to guess that Sky will only offer this TV package if you take Sky Broadband too. You can see that coming a mile away, especially to begin with anyway.

If this proves popular, I wonder what it will do to the BB speeds. It's one thing using Netflix etc every so often but households constantly streaming throughout the day must have some effect
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2017, 12:00   #3647
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Technically there is no reason why but I'm going to guess that Sky will only offer this TV package if you take Sky Broadband too. You can see that coming a mile away, especially to begin with anyway.

If this proves popular, I wonder what it will do to the BB speeds. It's one thing using Netflix etc every so often but households constantly streaming throughout the day must have some effect
Yes that's something to look out for!
Old 14-12-2017, 12:25   #3648
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
With the total Sky TV package becoming available trough broadband at some point next year I fear for VM tbh. Sky will wipe away all those unable to have a dish for whatever reason; including myself! If the discounts etc stop I will absolutely be thinking about switching to Sky.

On a technical point; there's no reason why I couldn't keep VM Boradband and then have the new Sky TV installed is there?. What I mean is (and I'm not great technically) is there any reason why the new Sky TV Broadband wouldn't work if i stayed with VM as the broadband supplier?
Can’t see full SkyQ functionality running off a Broadband connection. I think Sky TV over broadband will be a small shadow of what is available to dish customers.
Old 14-12-2017, 12:28   #3649
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Can’t see full SkyQ functionality running off a Broadband connection. I think Sky TV over broadband will be a small shadow of what is available to dish customers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...e-subscribers/

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e-rights-costs

Don't see why full functionality would be a problem via broadband?
Old 14-12-2017, 12:55   #3650
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Don't see why full functionality would be a problem via broadband?
Have a think about how many channels SkyQ can record, and the amount of bandwidth that would need
Old 14-12-2017, 13:01   #3651
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Have a think about how many channels SkyQ can record, and the amount of bandwidth that would need
Unless it makes copies of recordings in the cloud I completely agree.
Old 14-12-2017, 13:08   #3652
Mobes
cf.mega poster

That's what i presumed. It would be a cloud thing! There may well be slight differences but my point on the whole stands!

Sky are opening up to a whole new market once unavailable to them.

VM need to think carefully before implementing increases and lowering retentions!

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

https://www.stuff.tv/news/no-dish-no...-broadband-way

Worth a read.
Old 14-12-2017, 14:07   #3653
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
With the total Sky TV package becoming available trough broadband at some point next year I fear for VM tbh. Sky will wipe away all those unable to have a dish for whatever reason; including myself! If the discounts etc stop I will absolutely be thinking about switching to Sky.

Likely sky will only make it available if you take sky broadband (BT tv only available if you take BT infinity) at least to start with.

When SkyQ came out it was for sky broadband users only for several months.
Old 14-12-2017, 17:23   #3654
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

December Channel Guide out now.

http://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv...-channel-guide

Desktop version: http://virginmedia.com/content/dam/v..._DEC2017V1.jpg

Mobile version: http://virginmedia.com/content/dam/v...le_DEC17V1.jpg

Confirms a few things...

- Dave HD should be included in the UKTV channels 'free view' so someone at VM must have forgotten to add the override flag
- UKTV channels 'free view' is until 3 January
- CBS channels 'free view' is still until 31 December

Interesting that there are still existing customers out there with one of six different TV packages (Player, More, M+, Mix, Fun and Full House) although the only packages now being offered to new customers are Player, Mix and Full House.
Old 14-12-2017, 20:35   #3655
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

And the fact that SkyBB use BT lines - and BT can't even provide a single UHD channel to many of their customers via their own BB service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Old 14-12-2017, 20:46   #3656
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I think sky may come unstuck further down the line, as they cannot provide there own BB network as things stand.
Old 14-12-2017, 20:55   #3657
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I think sky may come unstuck further down the line, as they cannot provide there own BB network as things stand.
Who knows what the future holds? Disney could exit the broadband business and sell it to Telefonica O2.
Old 14-12-2017, 21:05   #3658
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

With OTT do content providers even need broadband these days Netflix seems to be doing perfectly well without selling anything other than it's On Demand offering.

Broadband networks require huge sums to constantly maintain and upgrade.
Old 14-12-2017, 21:06   #3659
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Who knows what the future holds? Disney could exit the broadband business and sell it to Telefonica O2.

If Disney own a lot of sky and BT reviewing their spending on Premier Football it would not surprise me if the UK rights to Premier League fail to reach last times heights or at best stay level.

The Premier League may be in for a shock if they are assuming another huge increase.
Old 14-12-2017, 21:14   #3660
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
If Disney own a lot of sky and BT reviewing their spending on Premier Football it would not surprise me if the UK rights to Premier League fail to reach last times heights or at best stay level.

The Premier League may be in for a shock if they are assuming another huge increase.
The PL is making far more games available so they're hoping for more TV money not less even if the avaerage price per game reduces.
Closed Thread