Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 19:47   #13201
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Christ. Do we have to read an advert for Phorm every time we complain about it?
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2008, 19:53   #13202
number6
Inactive

number6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Response from Virgin Media regarding email telling them I was posting letter (Data Protection Act) and my disgust at any implementation of Phorm or anything like it

Thank you for your e-mail dated 2 August 2008 concerning Virgin Media using PHORM.

I am sorry that you feel this way. Phorm Is there to safegaurd our customers not to transfer information about our users. Webwise checks these sites against a list of fraudulent sites and warns customers if they're heading to one. They're given the option to continue to that site, so Webwise won't restrict their online experience in any way, but at least they'll be able to decide for themselves, and avoid the chance of this form of identity theft. In this way Webwise helps to secure our customers' privacy.

Another great thing about Webwise is that it can help reduce irrelevant advertising. As customers browse web pages, Webwise looks at things like search terms, and learns what topics might be of interest. This is done without collecting any personal information, so once again their privacy is protected. These topics are then used to help filter out adverts that might be irrelevant - instead they'll simply see an advert that will match a topic they're are more interested in.

Webwise doesn't capture or store any customer's personal details, only anonymous information about advertising categories that may be of interest to them. Webwise places a common cookie in web browsers - a small computer code with a unique, randomly generated number on it. With this cookie, Webwise can deliver warnings of potentially dangerous websites and replace untargeted ads with more relevant ones. This cookie can be deleted at any time.

Virgin Media strives to provide excellent service to all its loyal customers. I am sorry for any inconvenience. If you have further queries regarding this matter or any other issue, please use the link provided below:

In short they sent you the usual pointless, inaccurate, cut and paste waffle. If they can't do better than that there is little hope for them.
Old 03-08-2008, 19:54   #13203
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Response from Virgin Media regarding email telling them I was posting letter (Data Protection Act) and my disgust at any implementation of Phorm or anything like it

Thank you for your e-mail dated 2 August 2008 concerning Virgin Media using PHORM.

I am sorry that you feel this way. Phorm Is there to safegaurd our customers not to transfer information about our users. Webwise checks these sites against a list of fraudulent sites and warns customers if they're heading to one. They're given the option to continue to that site, so Webwise won't restrict their online experience in any way, but at least they'll be able to decide for themselves, and avoid the chance of this form of identity theft. In this way Webwise helps to secure our customers' privacy.

Another great thing about Webwise is that it can help reduce irrelevant advertising. As customers browse web pages, Webwise looks at things like search terms, and learns what topics might be of interest. This is done without collecting any personal information, so once again their privacy is protected. These topics are then used to help filter out adverts that might be irrelevant - instead they'll simply see an advert that will match a topic they're are more interested in.

Webwise doesn't capture or store any customer's personal details, only anonymous information about advertising categories that may be of interest to them. Webwise places a common cookie in web browsers - a small computer code with a unique, randomly generated number on it. With this cookie, Webwise can deliver warnings of potentially dangerous websites and replace untargeted ads with more relevant ones. This cookie can be deleted at any time.

Virgin Media strives to provide excellent service to all its loyal customers. I am sorry for any inconvenience. If you have further queries regarding this matter or any other issue, please use the link provided below:

Two opposing sentences in the same paragraph with makes a total nonsense of their entire Privacy Claims.

If a UID is Unique then it does identify the Surfer, especially if that cookie is not deleted till the intended expiration date!
Combinations of advertising categories will be unique to this Surfer, even if not thing else is harvested, which I doubt.

---------------
Webwise places a common cookie in web browsers - a small computer code with a unique, randomly generated number on it.

Webwise doesn't capture or store any customer's personal details, only anonymous information about advertising categories that may be of interest to them.
Old 03-08-2008, 20:54   #13204
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

In light of that, I'm now officially leaving VM. Looking at Be, and it's looking good.

Do I need a MAC key while changing from cable to ADSL?
Old 03-08-2008, 21:06   #13205
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

While on the subject of Webwise, I notice that the Phorm site is still talking about TalkTalk starting to use Webwise in the summer of 2008.
There is still nothing about Webwise on the TalkTalk site. Their Privacy Statement says little that could indicate a 3rd party like Webwise being used.

Does anyone know where TalkTalk customers 'hang out'? I have not noticed anyone on any of the Phorm-aware forums mentioning that they use TalkTalk.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:10   #13206
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

The way PhilJ's reply from VM reads it's as if they're already using it.

I realise it looks like the standard cut and paste reply, but it seems a long way from the "we're only looking at it" responses a few of us got from them early on.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:13   #13207
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
In light of that, I'm now officially leaving VM. Looking at Be, and it's looking good.

That depends on whether you are on a cable or BT copper connection to your house. If via the local BT exchange, then you probably will need a MAC code.

The only advantage to having a MAC code is that you do not have to wait for the current ADSL to be removed from your line before you can ask for a new supplier. At worst, that means being without ADSL for a week (10 working days but usually supplied quicker.)
Old 03-08-2008, 21:14   #13208
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Have just emailed VM back and told them
Dont believe them
not convinced
Ashamed of them getting into bed with this mob
I expect the instructions in my letter to Data Controller to be carried out.

Philj
now where is Richard Branson's email address?
Old 03-08-2008, 21:20   #13209
Tharrick
Inactive

Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
That depends on whether you are on a cable or BT copper connection to your house. If via the local BT exchange, then you probably will need a MAC code.

The only advantage to having a MAC code is that you do not have to wait for the current ADSL to be removed from your line before you can ask for a new supplier. At worst, that means being without ADSL for a week (10 working days but usually supplied quicker.)
Ah. I'm on their cable line right now
Old 03-08-2008, 21:23   #13210
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

No you will not need a MAC just the BT line in to move be carefull VM are claiming back dicounts when you cancel as I have found out.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:25   #13211
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Ah. I'm on their cable line right now
When you arrange your ADSL service, plan for a little overlap between the two... say a week... and you'll have no problem.

I tried to do mine back to back, and with hind sight I think allowing a small overlap would have been a smarter plan.

If you want a drop in replacement for your cable modem, I can recommend the DrayTek Vigor 110 (...provided your router supports PPPoE).
Old 03-08-2008, 21:26   #13212
Tharrick
Inactive

I think my contract expires at the end of the month - I simply plan not to renew
Old 03-08-2008, 21:31   #13213
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I'm working on a Wikipedia article for the BT Total Broadband page. If anyone is interested in collaboration, please let me know. I'm particularly interested in someone who is more familiar with Wiki, and who can also provide appropriate hyperlinks etc. to my text.
Do you mean you are proposing changes to the already existing page on BT Total Broadband - on the URL you mentioned. That article has been there for a long time and has gone through quite a few changes, although not much in the Phorm/Webwise days. Surprisingly it is not even linked from the Phorm WP page, guess I can soon sort that out.

I have done a lot of editing on Wikipedia over the past couple of years. The normal rule applies - be bold and put in your changes and see what happens. But always to remember to follow Wikipedia policies and you will soon get put in your place if you start stating strong points of view or claims not backed up by authoritative references. I suspect a simple paragraph stating they have recently been involved in Phorm/Webwise and a link to the Phorm article will be enough, anything more will probably get stamped on. I know, I have been through all that, you soon find your place there...
Old 03-08-2008, 21:33   #13214
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

http://stevenimmons.org/blogs/steven...ne-advertising
Old 03-08-2008, 21:40   #13215
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I think my contract expires at the end of the month - I simply plan not to renew
they auto renew if you do not cancel 30days notice to cancel..

Quote:
The backlash against Beacon and public meetings over Phorm indicate that the consumer must not be rushed. The Internet has an almost unique position in modern culture, for many a last bastion of escapism. We are profiled regularly in ‘real world’ retailing, resistance to which has largely faded, but Internet anonymity will not be easily surrendered. Trust, data security and privacy must be addressed with users and not ‘in spite of them’. The key sell is advertising ‘as content inline with user experience’. Enriching and non-interruptive models coupled with Semantic Web and Web3.0 herald an exciting future for the industry and Internet community.

I have selected this paragraph to talk about from your link phormwatch many thanks for the link. Highlights by me.

I have placed in Bold my main gripe...
It is not "we must not be rushed" I feel this should be "we will not be profiled at the expence of privacy, human rights and copyright infringement from websites we visit."

In the real world retail we give them as much or as little informatioin as we want no retail shop sends anyone around the store following every customers jotting down notes of everything we look at, touch, or buy.

Not always many of us still only give out as much or little as we wish. If it was surrenders anyone downloading copyrighted files would get a notices direct from the authorities not via their ISPs.

BT, TalkTalk and Virgin Media have already caused the ripples we used to trust them now I certainly don't hence why I moved to a smaller ISP that answered my questions promptly with answers that gave me hope there are still some who are not out to rip of the customers. There will never be any trust from Internet users who have come into contact with Kents previous rootkit targeted advertisements, none of my data will ever be profiled by his company or anyother company like his.

Interception will not enrich the internet, advertisments will not enrich the surfing for me I block them.

Quote:
Web3.0 herald an exciting future for the industry and Internet community
Or the death of freedom of speach, freedom to visit any websaite you wish turning the WWW into mini China around the world with many places blocked.
Closed Thread