Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 15:19   #5761
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Plan of Action

Thanks for comments and additional contributions. UPDATED
--------------------------------------------------------
Write to your MP
Write to your ISP: Virgin Media; BT; TalkTalk
Write to your EU representative
Sign the Downing Street petition
Sign the BT petition
Serve a section 11 Data Protection Notice on your ISP
Watch this
Read this
Go here for a summary
BT, Virgin Media and Talk Talk ISP addresses
Sample letters
Tell them what you think about Phorm's membership
Association of Police Authorities: About

Spread the word and ask everyone you know to do the same.
----------------------------------------------------------
*And if you are lurking, please sign up and get stuck in!*
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 15:37   #5762
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Good work kursk.
Old 05-05-2008, 16:05   #5763
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
This would concern me far less than being profiled in order to line the pockets of spyware **** and incompetent ailing ISPs.

There is a separate debate to be had about individual freedoms v national security. In fact MI5 or whoever wouldn't need something as sophisticated as phorm to spy on your data stream.
No they would just put a L7 switch in place and duplicate the data stream off to Thames House (and probably Vauxhall Cross for good measure).
Old 05-05-2008, 16:18   #5764
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

My email to APWG:

Quote:
Hello,

I am very concerned to see that you have signed up Phorm Inc. as a member. As I am sure you are aware Phorm Inc. have been the root of a major controversy in the UK where they are trying to deploy Layer 7 network technology to generate behavioural profiles of UK broadband users based on the web sites they visit. Phorm Inc. are the new name for 121Media, a company which was pretty much chased out of the US on the threat of law suits regarding their adware which utilised root kit technology.

Senior Law academics, legal experts, technologists, politicians and peers in the House of Lords are pressuring the UK Government to initiate a criminal investigation into Phorm Inc. and one of their partner ISPs for what have been described as illegal trials of the technology in 2006 and 2007. I myself have appeared as a guest speaker at the Phorm PIA public meeting where I discussed the privacy concerns stemming from their proposed technology as well as having appeared on a BBC technology news show (broadcast world wide) and other press/media engagements.

I wrote a legal analysis of the 2006/2007 trials (in which Phorm Inc. were complicit at the very least) which I have attached to this email for you to read. The dissertation has received very positive comments from privacy advocates and legal experts and is in fact being cited at an ISPA Legal Forum in London next month.

I should also advise you that news of your organisation accepting Phorm as a member is being seen in very bad light by the public based on all the feedback I have seen thus far.

I would urge you to refund Phorm Inc. their membership fee and expel them from your organisation in the interests of integrity and public opinion. I am of course available should you wish to contact me and discuss the issue in more detail.

Sincerely,

Alexander Hanff
University of Cumbria

PS: I will be publishing this email in the public domain and any responses I may receive.
Alexander Hanff
Old 05-05-2008, 17:00   #5765
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Good work kursk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
My email to APWG:
Alexander Hanff
Old 05-05-2008, 17:00   #5766
Bobcat
Inactive

Bobcat is an unknown quantity at this point

@RJ & OB re: BT Forums.

See:http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...=3514&tstart=0

Posts 4 & 5 mention phorm. Sorry for delay - just catching up now.
Old 05-05-2008, 17:02   #5767
SpinyNorman
Inactive

SpinyNorman is an unknown quantity at this point

Im just about to email APWG and I notice that Frontporch is also a sponsor!
Old 05-05-2008, 17:21   #5768
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
Im just about to email APWG and I notice that Frontporch is also a sponsor!
Interesting:

Quote:
After years of targeting individuals who loaded up their PCs with unauthorized copies of songs, movies and TV shows, copyright owners now are turning their attention to Internet service providers -- including cable ops, telcos and others -- whose broadband data networks are instruments of illegal content access and sharing of illegal files. Copyright owners want ISPs to take a stronger role in proactively notifying users of potential abuses.

The good news is that new technologies are emerging to help operators with these sticky concerns, including online messaging systems. These systems dispatch warnings directly to Internet-connected subs' PC screens if they're downloading unauthorized content. And, beyond heading off copyright abuse, an operator also can use these tools for other purposes including keeping customers updated on the likes of localized network issues.
Phorm may not only be about targeted ads. Big business is trying to protect its honeypot. Simon, we need your help.
Old 05-05-2008, 17:32   #5769
declanh
Inactive

declanh is an unknown quantity at this point

I happened to notice that

"Hiss! Who ? Hint - Beware Pimping !"

is an anagram of

"Phorm Webwise anti-phishing"

:-)
Old 05-05-2008, 17:35   #5770
ziggycat
Inactive

ziggycat is an unknown quantity at this point

They're trying to buy themselves credibility,

My email to APWG,

Quote:
APWG,

I would like to express my concern on your recent announcement that Phorm Inc. have been allowed to join the APWG.
This company has a known history (previously 121media) of using rootkit technology to deploy adware, I would therefore ask you reconsider allowing them membership to your association..

Your membership eligibility states. Quote;
“Membership is open to qualified financial institutions, online retailers, ISPs, the law enforcement community, security solutions providers and research institutions”

I don’t see where Phorm Inc. falls into any of these categories.

The bottom line to this announcement is it undermines the association’s credibility in the public eye. There is currently a very active online community of people who object to Phorm’s use of deep packet inspection technology to intercept data and profile them based on browsing habits.

It is yet to be proved that what Phorm are proposing to do is even legal under several acts including privacy and DPA.

I urge you to further investigate this company and its history, to make an informed decision rather than a financial one, and to see beyond Phorm’s PR spin.

Regards,
As OF1975 said;
Quote:
"Anti-Phishing Working Group withdraws Phorm Membership"

That would be a nice concrete achievement if we could make it happen and would help to increase publicity and would be one more nail in the coffin.
Old 05-05-2008, 17:35   #5771
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by declanh View Post
I happened to notice that

"Hiss! Who ? Hint - Beware Pimping !"

is an anagram of

"Phorm Webwise anti-phishing"

:-)

That's like my computer's dictionary suggesting Virus as the correct spelling of Phorm's US COO.

Alexander Hanff
Old 05-05-2008, 17:43   #5772
SpinyNorman
Inactive

SpinyNorman is an unknown quantity at this point

well here's my email to apwg

Quote:
Hello

I am appalled to see that you have Phorm as one of your sponsors.

In case you are unaware Phorm as they are now known are in the business of targeted advertising whereby they intercept all of a users surfing clickstream data (at the ISP level) create a profile of said user so they can send advertisements to an individual’s pc.

Details can be found here http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001420.html

In their previous incarnation Phorm were known as 121Media a spyware/adware company that used rootkits (notably one called Apropos) to surreptitiously serve a user with targeted popup adverts.

Details can be found here http://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/apropos.shtml

At the moment here in the UK there are Major arguments reaching as high as the House of Commons and the House of Lords surrounding the legalities of this company where privacy is concerned.

I really feel that taking Phorm as one of your partners undermines the great work you are trying to achieve and I urge you to return their sponsorship money and cancel their membership.

Yours sincerely
lets see if I get a reply.
Old 05-05-2008, 17:47   #5773
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

If enough people email them I am sure at least one of us will get a response.

Alexander Hanff
Old 05-05-2008, 18:05   #5774
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
If enough people email them I am sure at least one of us will get a response.

Alexander Hanff
Agreed. Good going everyone
Old 05-05-2008, 18:38   #5775
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
@RJ & OB re: BT Forums.

See:http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...=3514&tstart=0

Posts 4 & 5 mention phorm. Sorry for delay - just catching up now.
And you will see moderator has edited the 5th post.
http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/me...ID=19692#19692
Closed Thread