Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Cable + Dynamode 6004 + VPN - Help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Cable + Dynamode 6004 + VPN - Help please

Old 10-09-2008, 15:38   #1
chid77
Inactive

chid77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Cable + Dynamode 6004 + VPN - Help please

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have Virgin cable - with a cable modem. Into this I have plugged a Dynamode 6004 wireless router. Everything works fine with my home computer via direct ethernet or wireless.

I also have a work laptop which has some VPN software (Nortel "Contivity VPN Client V04_15.18").

If I connect my work laptop directly to the modem via ethernet I can connect to the internet, and then can run the VPN client and connect to work fine.

However, if I connect to the router (whether wirelessly or via ethernet), although I can still get to the internet ok, the VPN client connects but doesn't seem to receive any packets back, and then disconnects.

It's not a major problem, but it does mean that noone else in the house can use the internet if I'm connected to work (I have to unplug the router to plug into the modem).

The current suggestion from work is to buy their "approved" Vigor router for £100.

Any suggestions would be very welcome,

Thanks
chid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2008, 19:06   #2
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future
Re: Virgin Cable + Dynamode 6004 + VPN - Help please

I don't know anything about your router model but most have a setting for VPN passthrough. I would take a look around your router configuration and if there isn't a VPN passthrough setting (there is on a Linksys) then you may need to ask your IT people what ports their VPN is using and forward them to you.

You could also try setting your LAN IP as being in the DMZ on the router.

BTW IPSec VPN's often use UDP port 500 but your IT team sould be able to confirm this for you.

HTH
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 11:21   #3
Clyde2009
Inactive

Clyde2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Cable + Dynamode 6004 + VPN - Help please

Your problem is the double NAT that is happening at routers. VPN cant handle the two translations that are occurring. This is why it works when you by pass the second router. You must turn off NATing on one of the routers, it does not matter which one. It should probably be the second as you do not want to change the settings of the one provided by your ISP. Hope this helps.
Clyde2009 is offline   Reply With Quote