Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 14-05-2021, 19:52   #931
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
??

And from December

"To know thyself is the beginning of wisdom.”
You go out of your way to try and pull me down. You had to go back to December to find something closer to self praise. Just stop it.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-05-2021, 00:00   #932
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You go out of your way to try and pull me down. You had to go back to December to find something closer to self praise. Just stop it.
He does have form in trawling the archives............
Old 15-05-2021, 09:34   #933
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Sad.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 12:52   #934
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You say it, you own it…

❄️

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I didn't have to "trawl" anything - I remembered it, because I commented on it at the time….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
As Lord Byron said

Quote:
Self praise is no praise at all
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 15-05-2021 at 14:34.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 15:17   #935
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A letter from the Home Office arrived this morning asking the missus if she wants to stay in the UK !!!

She applied to stay as we arrived in the UK from our French wedding in 1986, and she received a letter granting "Permanent Right To Remain". But apparently that is no longer valid?

So we've done the application online, and now have to send her French ID card to them within 30 days (last day for application is the mid-June for all EU citizens in the UK).

But her ID has expired on the card, so we’ve had to add the letter from the Consulate that all IDs have been granted 15 years validity due to covid-19.

Luckily I kept the "Permanent Right To Remain" letter, so have a copy for them.

After she is allowed to stay, we then have to start the process for the twins as it's a grey area!!!!!!

35 minutes on hold to their helpline then cut off. Now it just says "we're busy" and cuts off.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 16:01   #936
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
A letter from the Home Office arrived this morning asking the missus if she wants to stay in the UK !!!

She applied to stay as we arrived in the UK from our French wedding in 1986, and she received a letter granting "Permanent Right To Remain". But apparently that is no longer valid?

So we've done the application online, and now have to send her French ID card to them within 30 days (last day for application is the mid-June for all EU citizens in the UK).

But her ID has expired on the card, so we’ve had to add the letter from the Consulate that all IDs have been granted 15 years validity due to covid-19.

Luckily I kept the "Permanent Right To Remain" letter, so have a copy for them.

After she is allowed to stay, we then have to start the process for the twins as it's a grey area!!!!!!

35 minutes on hold to their helpline then cut off. Now it just says "we're busy" and cuts off.
This must be very unsettling for you all Taf. Hopefully it's all just a paper pushing exercise and your wife and sons will get their permanent rights to remain without having to wait too long.

Jo xx
Old 15-05-2021, 16:27   #937
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
This must be very unsettling for you all Taf. Hopefully it's all just a paper pushing exercise and your wife and sons will get their permanent rights to remain without having to wait too long.
I've spent an hour dredging through all the guff on the gov.uk site.
She still has the Right to Remain, but the application allows her to apply for "Settled Status" so can leave the UK for up to 5 years and return with no problems. Their letter to us didn't mention that.

I actually found an online help link on the gov.uk site (very well hidden)to ask the questions instead of listening to the "hold" music forever and ever.

The twins' status depends on what letter Lunar Hose sent her giving the Right to Reside. Someone told me that there was a legal challenge to the wording of one version, meaning they would have to apply in their own rights for citizenship.
Old 15-05-2021, 17:51   #938
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

@Taf >, I worked for the Civil Service for a good few years and I never got to grips with the bureaucracy that mired down even the simplest processes. I suspect you are not the only family in this position, maybe you can find more helpful information on a discussion site/forum.

This seems to bring a few sites up. https://www.google.com/search?q=I+ne...4dUDCAk&uact=5

This link seems informative. https://immigrationbarrister.co.uk/a...-applications/
Old 15-05-2021, 18:27   #939
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
@Taf >, I worked for the Civil Service for a good few years
Ditto, a techie branch, but still riddled with bureaucracy...
Old 17-05-2021, 23:15   #940
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Interesting Cabinet split over a proposed trade deal with Australia with zero tariffs

Pro camp are Trade (Liz Truss and David Frost)

Their arguments:
- If you can't get a good deal with Australia then you can't get a deal with anyone
- A deal would signify support for Australia which has a trade row with China
- It could aid the UK's bid to join the Trans-Pacific Trade Partnership.

Anti camp are Agriculture (George Eustice and Michael Gove)

Their arguments:
- Michael Gove has promised that farmers would not be worse off due to Brexit. This would make some worse off.
- Lamb farmers, predominantly in Wales and Scotland, would be some of those worse off from the deal encouraging the independence vote.
- Trade will pnly be worth 0.01-0.02% of GDP over 15 years so is not worth sacrificing British farming for

Something needs to be decided before June's G7 summit in Cornwall, which Australia’s PM should be attending.

See https://www.ft.com/content/8c5f7a0c-...e-fe721dc08701 or Google "UK government split over Australia trade deal"
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 00:49   #941
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Can I take it that, from the 'Against' arguments, our farmers can produce enough without needing any from Australia . . . or anywhere else?

. . . or is it just more crap with people spouting figures that look good to the 'anti everything' brigade
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 20:12   #942
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Can I take it that, from the 'Against' arguments, our farmers can produce enough without needing any from Australia . . . or anywhere else?

. . . or is it just more crap with people spouting figures that look good to the 'anti everything' brigade
The Aussies have economies of scale with their industrial mega-ranches covering thousands of acres, making it much cheaper to produce the meat (including export costs) - our farmers couldn’t match their lower prices (currently there are tariffs on Oz meat being imported).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 20:27   #943
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Hard to believe a leg of lamb is cheaper coming all the way from Australia.

Until you factor in the big supermarket chains doing really cheap deals on volume, they'll cut anybodies throat for an extra 2p profit
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 20:29   #944
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

To be fair, the tariffs on Aussie products are simply carried over from the EU tariff regime rather than reflecting deliberate UK government policy. As presently constituted, they may or may not be useful to us - just because they suited EU protectionism doesn’t mean we necessarily have to continue the same way.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 20:34   #945
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

NZ and Aus lamb have been imported for years, perhaps in lesser numbers while we were in the EU.
The biggest difference between their lamb product and the UK's is that the lambs are slaughtered at an earlier age meaning the chops and joints are smaller than UK lamb.
For lamb product the UK farmers can easily compete with them.
Never had to deal with Aus beef when I was a butcher as most of the competition came from Argentina when I was in the trade.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote