Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 19:29   #5896
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

ESPN branding and UK rights to it's programming are with BT, but that wouldn't preclude Disney getting started by buying up rights and using a different name until rebranding as ESPN in 2021. In the world where pigs fly and there's streamers everywhere waiting to buy up TV rights for all the sports content out there of course.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2019, 19:45   #5897
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Emotive...

You appear to be stating that others, who may have different viewing habits to you, are "pathetic"...
I was referring to people who would gladly just park themselves on the sofa and watch anything, whether engaging or not. I was not referring to people who actually chose to watch programmes that were not to my taste.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l watch plenty of traditional broadcasting as does my family and we certainly don't watch "anything" as we are all pretty choosey in our taste so to be called "pathetic" is quite simply laughable.
I was not referring to you, Den. Jfman missed my point.
Old 07-08-2019, 19:47   #5898
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are we really that pathetic as a nation that we are happy to sit and watch anything?
What was your point? The highest proportion of TV viewing is done in this manner, not just in this nation but around the globe.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:01   #5899
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah so the broadcasters will go... Once the viewers give up. Yet you can't say when that will happen, as demonstrated time and again the most popular content remains on linear TV and the original broadcast gets most hits.

I don't think dismissing parental concern, as you just have, is reasonable. I think it actually shows, somewhat unsurprisingly, how out of touch you are. It's little wonder you see a narrow and bleak future given you can't understand the complex depth of viewing choices.

I think it's pathetic that statistically one in fifty people currently streaming from the'vast and wide range of content available are watching Friends. All day every day, the same rubbish getting peddled over and over.
Parental concern? Talk about twisting it! I never suggested you'd park a senile relative in front of YouTube, did I? You thought that one up all by yourself!

Of course I cannot tell exactly when sufficient viewers will give up on traditional TV for the channel executives to call it a day! There is no magic formula to make such a prediction. However we can see the viewing trend away from the TV channels and the increasing take-up of streaming services, so I think I'm pretty safe in saying that most if not all of them will have disappeared by 2035. They will simply become economically unviable.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Quote:
What was your point? The highest proportion of TV viewing is done in this manner, not just in this nation but around the globe.
That's clearly not right. Most people do not just watch TV in such a comatose fashion. The remotes are pretty well used from what I have seen.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:06   #5900
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Invoking economics isn't the same as understanding it, Old Boy.

There is actually a magic formula it's where the costs (low) outweigh the benefits (huge). The less linear channels there are the more prominent the remaining ones are in EPGs. So the business models become better.

Imagine being the only channel left. Everyone switches their TV on and there you are, like the North Korean state broadcaster. Everyone with an internet outage- watching you. In hotels, caravans and bedrooms in low bandwidth homes.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:22   #5901
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Traditional TV viewing holds off streaming, Ofcom reveals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49248030

Interestingly, despite the broad depth of content Friends is the most popular show on streaming services in the UK. TV for the (white) brain dead first time round...

Quote:
The way we watch TV is changing faster than ever before. In the space of seven years, streaming services have grown from nothing to reach nearly half of British homes
Old 07-08-2019, 20:24   #5902
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
The way we watch TV is changing faster than ever before. In the space of seven years, streaming services have grown from nothing to reach nearly half of British homes
”reach" does not equal usage/viewing...
Attached Images
File Type: png 69831FAB-4219-44EC-BDDD-48156605FB3E.png (312.0 KB, 4 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 07-08-2019 at 20:27.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:27   #5903
jfman
Architect of Ideas

The thing is I’m not saying streaming isn’t popular, or won’t continue to be popular. I subscribe to THREE streaming services myself.

I’m just framing it’s place alongside the other delivery models.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:28   #5904
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
”reach" does not equal usage/viewing...
Maybe so, but if it's there and available then i'd suggest that people will start using it.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:31   #5905
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Maybe so, but if it's there and available then i'd suggest that people will start using it.
Alongside everything else... Yes. Virtually every Sky/Virgin customer has a PVR. They still watch live TV despite having no good reason to.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:36   #5906
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Alongside everything else... Yes. Virtually every Sky/Virgin customer has a PVR. They still watch live TV despite having no good reason to.

Do they? The only live tv that i watch is sport, and mainly football, no one in our house watches live tv (apart from sport ) at the scheduled times, it's all watched by catch up, in fact, I hardly know anyone who sits down to watch a show at the advertised time. Much more convenient to watch it when it suits you.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:41   #5907
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Disney have pulled a blinder Hulu, Disney+ and ESPN+ bundle for $12.99.
If/when BT licence of ESPN in uk ends Disney might do similar here.

Netflix aren't doing themselves any favours either with their price rises taking them close to a basic tv subscription.
As for Amazon their content is a joke at the moment imo and they often cancel stuff, people rave about Good Omens i personally thought it was utter tripe and David Tenant is very overated.
I think i agree with you i only lasted 13mins before i had had enough! Now in search of something else to watch!
Old 07-08-2019, 20:44   #5908
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Do they? The only live tv that i watch is sport, and mainly football, no one in our house watches live tv (apart from sport ) at the scheduled times, it's all watched by catch up, in fact, I hardly know anyone who sits down to watch a show at the advertised time. Much more convenient to watch it when it suits you.
I agree it’s more convenient, but BARB figures show live TV viewing still happens on some level across the range of both free and subscription channels.
Old 07-08-2019, 20:51   #5909
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Invoking economics isn't the same as understanding it, Old Boy.

There is actually a magic formula it's where the costs (low) outweigh the benefits (huge). The less linear channels there are the more prominent the remaining ones are in EPGs. So the business models become better.

Imagine being the only channel left. Everyone switches their TV on and there you are, like the North Korean state broadcaster. Everyone with an internet outage- watching you. In hotels, caravans and bedrooms in low bandwidth homes.
Unless viewers choose to watch what they want instead of what the schedulers want you to watch!

I do agree with you that it is not as straight forward as saying 'That line is pointing up and the other one down, so we will just continue to project those lines in a linear fashion'. That is precisely why I have said it is not as easy as that, and therefore fixing a date for the last channel going off air is pointless. A lot may happen to skew current projections.
Old 07-08-2019, 21:21   #5910
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Viewers can choose to watch what they want, when they want, now. Many don't, and still work around the schedule to a greater or lesser extent. It makes it easier to speak to people in the real world (I know, it's weird) in office scenarios if everyone is at the same point.

"Ah, have you seen series 2 episode 5 of..."
"Nah I'm only on episode 4"

Doesn't have the same ring to it as

"Did you see last night's..."
"Yeah it was amazing... Didn't see that ending coming"

Some people like being at the same point as everyone else to have conversations, interact with social media, etc.

Even the taboid press, morning TV shows, and websites want you to be at roughly the same spot.
Closed Thread