Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 00:25   #2296
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We are currently watching 'Indian Summers' on All4 and you can't skip through the ads on there - most annoying. Although I suppose it does give me an opportunity to go to the kitchen to pour some more drinks!

As for the BBC, I have only suggested commercials as a means of increasing the funding to the organisation, given the popular uprising against the licence fee. Such advertisements should be discreetly placed between, but not during programmes.

I'd still avoid watching them, of course!

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Well, who knows, Harry, but I hope you are wrong. I think there should be a subscription only option without ads for those prepared to pay for it.
Personally, I have no problem with BBC having ads as such, as long as the content that wouldn't necessarily generate huge advertising revenues (such as much of the output of BBC Four) is protected. Adverts do not bother me, as I just tend to ignore them.. What does concern me is that advertising budgets are finite. They have limits. Introducing a massive amount of advertising space to a market that is arguably already flooded with it will drive prices through the floor, and the resulting reduction in income WILL have a negative impact on all the commercial TV channels in this country, which will negatively impact the quality of shows produced by those channels. Arguably the increase in commercial channels since the 80s already has affected ITV in this way.. Look at their output. Throughout the 80s and 90s, they had at least one good, high budget drama on every night (apart from Saturdays, which often had the latest films). Now, we have various reality or "talent" shows every night..
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01   #2297
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Personally, I have no problem with BBC having ads as such, as long as the content that wouldn't necessarily generate huge advertising revenues (such as much of the output of BBC Four) is protected. Adverts do not bother me, as I just tend to ignore them.. What does concern me is that advertising budgets are finite. They have limits. Introducing a massive amount of advertising space to a market that is arguably already flooded with it will drive prices through the floor, and the resulting reduction in income WILL have a negative impact on all the commercial TV channels in this country, which will negatively impact the quality of shows produced by those channels. Arguably the increase in commercial channels since the 80s already has affected ITV in this way.. Look at their output. Throughout the 80s and 90s, they had at least one good, high budget drama on every night (apart from Saturdays, which often had the latest films). Now, we have various reality or "talent" shows every night..
To my mind, we already have advertisements between programmes on the BBC, with all those promotions we get for their own TV and radio programming.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:11   #2298
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Are you serious?!!

There's been enough coverage about this, I'm surprised you are doubting that a proportion of the population is getting very angry about having to pay the licence fee, PB.

PS -

Just stumbled on this, it wasn't hard to find.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...-fee-scrapped/
This is a study titled "Truth about Youth". Who cares what the youths think? The "youth" will constantly change every 10-11 years, and as such so will the trends of the youth. The children of people my age are generally being brought up the way we were. Lots of sport, plenty of reading material, children's programmes on TV, bundled tv packages, although one friend does use Now TV, simply for the cheaper movies and the fact they can't afford Sky.

Trends come and go, and 10 years time there will be new trends from the next generation of youth. I imagine a lot of the youth will be fed up with un-skippable ad's if your fantasy comes true.

As you have stated, you have already encountered ad's you can't skip and still don't watch. Theone (apologies for my rudeness not replying to you directly) has stated an ad-free version of a service is not actually ad-free, and in my eyes, advertisers will offer more and more money to HULU to get their products advertised on their service until HULU realize they can drop the "ad-free" service and make money from ad's than they can from a slightly higher priced subscription.

The balance of streaming services and linear TV is pretty good right now. There is no real reason for anyone to pay full price for a bundled TV subscription anymore and the savings made can pay for any additional streaming services.
Old 01-12-2015, 14:17   #2299
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Just stumbled on this, it wasn't hard to find.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...-fee-scrapped/

Quote:
The survey was conducted with 1,457 respondents from across the UK in an online format using TubeMogul’s BrandSights online video survey tool between July 6th and July 13th. Survey users were selected at random via a random poll that appeared on their video screens while they were watching online video on various websites.
Now, Who is most likely to be watching online video? Young People. That makes the report skewed already Many young people will download illegal content, which will be add free anyway.

A valid report should include an even cross section of the population, and that survey isn't it. Therefore, to me it is invalid.

I am surprised that someone like yourself, who hates adverts is keen for BBC programmes to include them. Do you want the BBC to include them in Radio as well?
Old 01-12-2015, 17:33   #2300
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interesting Sky Go on Amazon Fire tablets.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/46779...n-amazon-fire/
Quote:
The addition of Sky Go to our store provides our customers with easy access to Sky’s first-class exclusive TV, movies and sports programming. We’re delighted to welcome Sky to the Amazon ecosystem we look forward to working with the Sky team in future.”
Now TV on Amazon Fire TV and tablets ?
Old 01-12-2015, 17:59   #2301
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Interesting Sky Go on Amazon Fire tablets.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/46779...n-amazon-fire/

Now TV on Amazon Fire TV and tablets ?
Excellent, now i can uninstall the sideloaded app i have

Oh hang on, this isn't FireTV is it?
Old 01-12-2015, 18:34   #2302
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Now, Who is most likely to be watching online video? Young People. That makes the report skewed already Many young people will download illegal content, which will be add free anyway.

A valid report should include an even cross section of the population, and that survey isn't it. Therefore, to me it is invalid.

I am surprised that someone like yourself, who hates adverts is keen for BBC programmes to include them. Do you want the BBC to include them in Radio as well?
Well, you have a fair point regarding this particular poll, but there is plenty of alternative evidence available to support my comment that a sizeable proportion of the British public don't want to pay the TV licence. This is why the Government is looking at the subscription option as soon as the technology allows.

I don't mind the BBC having ads between programmes to top up their funding as long as I can have an option to skip them!
Old 01-12-2015, 20:18   #2303
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
but there is plenty of alternative evidence available to support my comment that a sizeable proportion of the British public don't want to pay the TV licence. This is why the Government is looking at the subscription option as soon as the technology allows.
You're kidding, right? The government are looking into to that because they want to destroy the BBC, and please their mate Rupert.

Internet forums such as this are no place to gauge support for an ad-funded BBC as posters here are definitely nowhere near a cross-section of the viewing public.

I think you need to come up with a better set of statistics to support you assertion.

And given you're the one who made it, in my view, it's your place to find the evidence to back it up
Old 02-12-2015, 15:00   #2304
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You're kidding, right? The government are looking into to that because they want to destroy the BBC, and please their mate Rupert.

Internet forums such as this are no place to gauge support for an ad-funded BBC as posters here are definitely nowhere near a cross-section of the viewing public.

I think you need to come up with a better set of statistics to support you assertion.

And given you're the one who made it, in my view, it's your place to find the evidence to back it up
The Government does not want to destroy the BBC,they want to scale down their in built advantage and reduce waste paid for by the taxpayer.

As for the statistics, there are many comments made on this forum that cannot be substantiated and yet the authors of such comments are never asked for statistics to back them up. I don't know why you expect that of me, considering all the reports that have been made of viewer discontent about the licence fee.

I think you should be coming up with the stats if you want to prove me and the media wrong...
Old 02-12-2015, 16:53   #2305
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Couldn't this move to the licence fee thread?
Old 02-12-2015, 17:30   #2306
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

As for the statistics, there are many comments made on this forum that cannot be substantiated and yet the authors of such comments are never asked for statistics to back them up. I don't know why you expect that of me, considering all the reports that have been made of viewer discontent about the licence fee.
Because you regularly make statements, as if they are facts, with no evidence to back them up (remember Sky Atlantic? Several people asked you to produce evidence for your stance on that).

And you've just done it again:

Quote:
considering all the reports that have been made of viewer discontent about the licence fee
The inference to me from that statement is that the complaints are overwhelming. Sometimes, that can be confused with a small vocal minority making a lot of noise. And that is where the need for real evidence comes in, to distinguish between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Couldn't this move to the licence fee thread?
You're probably right. But as with all forums and threads within them, occasionally they wander slightly off topic when someone makes a statement that someone responds to.

And with BBC 3 going to a streaming service, surely the BBC falls within the thread topic title? After all, discussion on potential adds on Netflix would be deemed as valid.

But in my view, this aspect of the 'BBC and adds' should have a limited lifespan on this particular thread, given that there is a more appropriate thread on which to discuss it.
Old 02-12-2015, 18:14   #2307
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe it's time Cable Forum had a board for streaming services given we're now on page 154 and there's no doubt a lot of broadband-only Virgin customers using them.
Old 02-12-2015, 19:36   #2308
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Because you regularly make statements, as if they are facts, with no evidence to back them up (remember Sky Atlantic? Several people asked you to produce evidence for your stance on that).

And you've just done it again:

The inference to me from that statement is that the complaints are overwhelming. Sometimes, that can be confused with a small vocal minority making a lot of noise. And that is where the need for real evidence comes in, to distinguish between the two.

C'mon, Harry, are we really going back to the Sky Atlantic debate, which is so last year! I have already given an explanation for what I said before, which was based on several reports which turned out not to have led anywhere in the end.

As for your last comment, see the link below. There's more where this came from but I think we should leave it there. I accept that you may disagree, but we don't need to resort to pedantry just because we have different views. I've read far more controversial and outrageous remarks on these forums than this, and they haven't been asked repeatedly to come up with facts and figures to justify their view. After all, this is a discussion forum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-scrapped.html

One last thing to press the point. You have stated previously that Netflix will eventually carry adverts. However, your view goes directly against what Netflix have said, but you haven't produced good evidence to justify your view. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting you to now start researching this to prove yourself right (although I suspect you will have some difficulty with that), I simply accept that this is your view.

I hope that clears it up, but anyway, let's move on.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Maybe it's time Cable Forum had a board for streaming services given we're now on page 154 and there's no doubt a lot of broadband-only Virgin customers using them.
Isn't that what this is?
Old 02-12-2015, 19:48   #2309
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

One last thing to press the point. You have stated previously that Netflix will eventually carry adverts. However, your view goes directly against what Netflix have said, but you haven't produced good evidence to justify your view. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting you to now start researching this to prove yourself right (although I suspect you will have some difficulty with that), I simply accept that this is your view.
Who are you addressing?

You quote me and address Harry.

And for the record, I have never said that Netflix will take adds. Only recently I suggested that add free streaming is so appealing, due to add free services such as Netflix that I think services will offer an extra tariff, add free option, just as Hulu have just successfully done.
Old 02-12-2015, 19:56   #2310
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Who are you addressing?

You quote me and address Harry.

And for the record, I have never said that Netflix will take adds. Only recently I suggested that add free streaming is so appealing, due to add free services such as Netflix that I think services will offer an extra tariff, add free option, just as Hulu have just successfully done.
Whoops, sorry - I had just read something on here from Harry and I thought this post was his. Apologies. :
Closed Thread