Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Possibly way off theory about Merit and CCXTV on Freeview

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Possibly way off theory about Merit and CCXTV on Freeview

Old 31-07-2020, 11:08   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Possibly way off theory about Merit and CCXTV on Freeview

Here's my probably nonsense theory about what might be happening with Merit and CCXTV.

First up the "theory" may be related to the upcoming requirement that PSB channels be in the Top 24 positions on the EPG. BBC4 in Scotland needs to move and BBC3 might be returning, two spaces maximum are needed. The Shopping channels possibly feel they are going to get forced out so I think this might be preemptive action.

There are interesting things of note about the positions of the channels involved.

1) Ideal World currently has channels on LCN 22 and 23 (CCXTV), right next to 24, the cut off point.

2) QVC has LCN 35 (QVC Beauty) and 36 (QVC Style) right after Merit's LCN of 34.

Ideal World could buy Merit, swap places with their main channel of the same name and then sell Merit and CCXTV to a buyer that doesn't mind dealing with the problem coming in January 2021 with the Top24 issue.

Same goes for QVC, and it has the additional convenience of placing all their channels on concurrent LCNs if it bought Merit.

It could be both Shopping channels are involved in the same process. Ideal World may only be half way through dealing with LCN 23, having already swapped CCXTV with Create & Craft, and QVC are doing it Merit.

Like I said at the start, it's probably wrong this theory, I just thought I'd share it. At the very least you can be amused by my wrongness.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2020, 19:19   #2
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Possibly way off theory about Merit and CCXTV on Freeview

Don't ITV own Merit?

Maybe ITV will sell Merit to Ideal World as ITV broadcast Ideal World every night just after midnight on ITV (Channel 3).

Source: ITV London on Virgin Channel 853.

QVC may buy CCXTV and close it to make way for QVC to move to Channel 23. and Ideal World moving to Channel 34.

With the rumour BBC Three relaunch being on Channel 16 or BBC Four slot of Channel 8.

Scotland:
08. BBC Scotland
16. BBC Four (Was QVC)
22. BBC Three (Scotland only)
23. QVC (Was CCXTV)
34. Ideal World (Was Merit)

England and Wales:
08. BBC Three
16. BBC Four (Was QVC)
22. Channel number free in Wales and England.
23. QVC (Was CCXTV)
34. Ideal World (Was Merit)

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 07-08-2020 at 19:40.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 20:41   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Yes ITV own Merit, I assumed people already knew that based on other threads so I didn't mention it.

Why would Ideal World sell CCXTV to their rival to the detriment of their own channel?

I explicitly mentioned BBC3 and BBC4 because that was my reason for my theory. Did you quickscan read my post?
Old 07-08-2020, 20:51   #4
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Yes ITV own Merit, I assumed people already knew that based on other threads so I didn't mention it.

Why would Ideal World sell CCXTV to their rival to the detriment of their own channel?

I explicitly mentioned BBC3 and BBC4 because that was my reason for my theory. Did you quickscan read my post?
I was just given everyone my own theory.

I did not quickscan any of your post.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

I do not use the Freeview EPG. I have got the Shopping channels sitting beside one another.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 07-08-2020, 20:58   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

What is a "PSB" channel ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 21:10   #6
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think PSB (Forgot to say it means Public Service Broadcaster) but it also mean it given the lowest channel number if the channel broadcast the News (And some other shows you can't get on channels like Sky One and Gold) or some Sports like the FA Cup Final.

The following channels are PSB Channels

All BBC Channels
ITV, STV, UTV
Channel 4
Channel 5

CITV may also be on list.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 07-08-2020 at 21:17. Reason: forgot to add Public Service Broadcaster
Old 07-08-2020, 21:15   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
PSB is Public Service Broadcaster. It's basically those channels Media Boy mentioned.

I too am not sure about CITV in this regard. I'm guessing it isn't as it wasn't included in the OFCOM ruling about having a Top 24 Electronic Programme Guide position by 2021.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 07-08-2020 at 21:19.
Old 07-08-2020, 23:31   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It isn't you're right. S4C is a PSB.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:41   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
PSB is Public Service Broadcaster. It's basically those channels Media Boy mentioned.

I too am not sure about CITV in this regard. I'm guessing it isn't as it wasn't included in the OFCOM ruling about having a Top 24 Electronic Programme Guide position by 2021.
Only the BBC’s channels have PSB status across the board. The other PSBs are those occupying position 3, 4 and 5 in the channel line up. Pre-digital TV that was unambiguously Channel 4 everywhere except Wales and the converse for S4C. Now S4C can be received across the UK and Channel 4 can be received in Wales, but I think it’s the case that they have no PSB obligations outside of their official area.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:08   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Aha, got it. Thanks.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 19:10   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

And the answer to the Merit puzzle is...

*Drumroll*

Sky now own it​!

Thanks to AdamJC99 on Twitter who noticed the OFCOM change.

https://twitter.com/AdamJC99/status/1296837390057771011

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/ra...rit.htm​

So it must be for Sky Arts, or Pick if they decide to give Sky Arts the better LCN.