Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 21-07-2018, 17:36   #661
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit Discussion (New thread-Follow First Post Rules!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

Speaking exclusively to Express.co.uk, Ms Dorries said: “They are not just a threat to Brexit, they are a threat to the future of this country.
maybe the daft old bat was looking in the mirror ?
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2018, 20:32   #662
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I read in the papers today that Trump has been railing against the EU and Germany in particular. His main complaint was that the Euro is undervalued and thus unfairly supporting German exports to the USA.

You may recall that I carefully explained how Germany engineered the value of the Euro to enable exactly what Trump is complaining about.

This could now work in our favour - if you support reaching a deal with the EU. Germany could hardly relish having to face tariffs levied by the UK and additional tariffs levied by the USA as this would hit their production as exports fall.

Properly exploited, a sensible deal may yet be possible.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 21-07-2018, 21:18   #663
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I read in the papers today that Trump has been railing against the EU and Germany in particular. His main complaint was that the Euro is undervalued and thus unfairly supporting German exports to the USA.

You may recall that I carefully explained how Germany engineered the value of the Euro to enable exactly what Trump is complaining about.

This could now work in our favour - if you support reaching a deal with the EU. Germany could hardly relish having to face tariffs levied by the UK and additional tariffs levied by the USA as this would hit their production as exports fall.

Properly exploited, a sensible deal may yet be possible.
Think you're grasping at straws old chap.
Old 21-07-2018, 21:24   #664
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Think you're grasping at straws old chap.
It seems to me that there was a bit of sarcasm there. A shame.

The point I'm making is that last minute stuff may yet happen as various external factors coagulate into the current negotiating mess.

Do you think that the squeeze on Germany might not bear some fruit?

Old 21-07-2018, 21:29   #665
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:

The point I'm making is that last minute stuff may yet happen as various external factors coagulate into the current negotiating mess.

we're the ones with our short and curlies in the EU's hands. Trump says something different every day.
Old 21-07-2018, 21:31   #666
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
we're the ones with our short and curlies in the EU's hands. Trump says something different every day.
Don't you think it might rattle the Germans? Trump has been fairly consistent on the tariffs theme.

Old 21-07-2018, 21:35   #667
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Don't you think it might rattle the Germans? Trump has been fairly consistent on the tariffs theme.
no, they aren't as reliant on the US, they have the EU - together they are strong.

Its 'America first', don't be relying on the Donald to bail us out. He really didn't like that blimp.
Old 21-07-2018, 21:46   #668
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

I’ve never known any major programme of work that had, as part of the plan for implementation, the section that said “last minute stuff may yet happen (that will make it work)"...

Can you imagine if the D-Day planning had a section that said "here’s hoping"? They looked at what was required, planned to meet those requirements, and put contingency plans in place for identified risks (with additional contingency for "stuff we don’t know about yet"). I haven’t seen any evidence of that sort of approach to this...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-07-2018, 21:49   #669
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
no, they aren't as reliant on the US, they have the EU - together they are strong.

Its 'America first', don't be relying on the Donald to bail us out. He really didn't like that blimp.
I'm not relying on Donald to bail us out. I was merely postulating how the situation might develop.

I must admit to harbouring a grudge against Germany for perpetrating their policy of undervaluing the Euro and for breaking EU law with impunity by maintaining an 8% surplus (it's supposed not to exceed 3%).

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’ve never known any major programme of work that had, as part of the plan for implementation, the section that said “last minute stuff may yet happen (that will make it work)"...

Can you imagine if the D-Day planning had a section that said "here’s hoping"? They looked at what was required, planned to meet those requirements, and put contingency plans in place for identified risks (with additional contingency for "stuff we don’t know about yet"). I haven’t seen any evidence of that sort of approach to this...
What on earth are you on about? I was describing a curve ball that might affect Germany's appetite for changing their position on the Brexit negotiations.

Old 21-07-2018, 22:00   #670
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Germany's also been very effective at exporting all over the World to growing countries like Vietnam and China.
Old 22-07-2018, 09:13   #671
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm not relying on Donald to bail us out. I was merely postulating how the situation might develop.

I must admit to harbouring a grudge against Germany for perpetrating their policy of undervaluing the Euro and for breaking EU law with impunity by maintaining an 8% surplus (it's supposed not to exceed 3%).

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

What on earth are you on about? I was describing a curve ball that might affect Germany's appetite for changing their position on the Brexit negotiations.
Apologies - I mis-read your post, and thought you were talking about our approach to Brexit.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 22-07-2018, 09:44   #672
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from the Telegraph:

£9.3m pro-EU publicity blitz by David Cameron's government in the run-up to the Brexit referendum gave the Remain side an unfair advantage, the like of which should be outlawed in future votes, an independent commission has suggested.

In a major report, a cross-party panel called for a significant extension of restrictions banning ministers from using unlimited amounts of public money in favour of one side of a debate before the final month of a campaign.
Makes the few thousand spent by an associate organisation for leave look like chicken feed. And they still lost.

Alternative non-paywall story link
Old 22-07-2018, 10:07   #673
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Makes the few thousand spent by an associate organisation for leave look like chicken feed. And they still lost.

It's an interesting discussion point, but the quality of what Cameron's Government produced probably helped the Leave side more!
Old 22-07-2018, 10:32   #674
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

Will Cameron be referred to the police or is this destined to be swept under the carpet .
Old 22-07-2018, 11:02   #675
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Will Cameron be referred to the police or is this destined to be swept under the carpet .
If you feel he should be then, go ahead and refer him. But he's broken no law.
Unlike Vote Leave where MPs are getting annoyed by Dominic Cummings trying to avoid answering their questions. Maybe he'll be jailed?
Quote:
A cross-party group of MPs is demanding new powers that would force witnesses to give evidence before parliament or face possible imprisonment, as anger grows over the refusal of the former Vote Leave director, Dominic Cummings, to answer claims that the organisation that helped to deliver Brexit broke electoral law.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...nce-to-commons

Last edited by 1andrew1; 22-07-2018 at 11:21.
Closed Thread