Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I've heard some stupid questions, but...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

I've heard some stupid questions, but...

Old 09-10-2021, 10:02   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry I've heard some stupid questions, but...

...the one I was asked this morning at the Bolton train station takes not just the cake but the entire sweet trolley, plus a selection of liqueurs.

At some point during my shift on Wednesday night some thieving git stole my credit and debit cards, plus my Northern Rail smartcard. Result: I no longer had my weekly train ticket, nor any means of buying another - and when I was offered the Friday night shift, I only had enough cash in the house to get to work and none for the return journey. I hardly ever bother with cash any more.

But I couldn't afford to turn it down, because a) I'm still with the agency and only getting minimum wage, and b) I wanted to create a good impression with the manager of that section of Stateside by showing I'm a willing worker who can handle a 12-hour shift, because it's proper warehouse work, not all that production line nonsense, and I really want to be taken on by that section - it's work I can do. So I happily agreed to go in.

(In fact, I gather I already have made a good impression on them on the other occasions I've worked in there, and they are looking for permanent staff - my name's been put forward. Here's hoping - apart from the hourly rate of over £12, they only work 7 nights out of every 14! Result!)

So: Lack of return fare? Not to worry, I thought, I'll do that Promise To Pay thing, give 'em my details and pay as soon as I can get the cash, i.e. Monday. Simples.

Except it apparently doesn't work like that. It's not, as I'd thought, an IOU per se.

I explained why I was doing this at all. The ticket bloke asked if I was paying now. I had to pause a moment; that wasn't the question I was thinking of, but it still qualifies as stupid - if I could pay for the ticket, why was I bothering with the PTP thing? If I didn't have the cash when I got on the train, what are the chances that I'd have it when I got off? Here's a clue: numerically the probability of such an event looks like this:

- and the first syllable is 'ze'.

As I'm not totally antisocial, I refrained from observing that he was clearly a moron and simply said that I couldn't pay it at that time (what part of 'my cards and smartcard were stolen' wasn't clear? I'm quite sure I didn't lapse into Basque, Russian or Klingon Battle Language at any point).

Then came The Question. He asked: "Then why did you get on the train?"

He was very fortunate that I was, and am, very very tired after a 12-hour shift, else I might have given him a Pythonesque tirade along the lines of the Dead Parrot sketch. Why does anyone get on a train? Could it be, perhaps, that they might just want to, I don't know, GET TO WHERE THEY'RE GOING?!

There is, there has to be, a Moron Academy somewhere so people can study to become morons. And this is a species with aspirations towards the stars? Not a frickin' chance. I despair, I really do. This sort of thing is why I spent the whole of 1999 praying that the world would fall apart due to Y2K, because then there might have been a chance to improve things - and maybe weed out some of the idiots.

Lesson learned. From now on I will carry some cash on me. And never ever do the PTP thing again.
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2021, 10:06   #2
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: I've heard some stupid questions, but...

If possible, why not use Apple/Google pay on your phone ?

I can’t remember the last time I took my wallet out with me.

In addition, you didn’t understand how promise to pay works, and you got on a train without the means to pay for a ticket. And yet the person who was doing their job is a moron ?

I won’t level the same criticism at you, but I’d suggest a little self examination wouldn’t go amiss

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 09-10-2021 at 10:12.
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:53   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

So anyway, what happened next?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:01   #4
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I think it's a 5 part Mystery & Suspense thread, hopefully with a cunning twist at the end that nobody saw coming
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:10   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

There are no stupid questions - just the people that ask them…

Anyway, back to practicalities - did the station you boarded at have an open ticket office or a ticket machine? (It sounds as if you were trying to get the ticket whilst on the train, and the guidance states you need to get it before boarding the train).

The websites states
Quote:
If a passenger gets on a train without a ticket or Promise to Pay notice at a station where ticket buying facilities are available, they may be liable to pay a penalty fare.
Quote:
What is a Promise to Pay notice?

A Promise to Pay notice is a ticket that must be obtained from our ticket vending machines if customers do not have the facility to pay by credit/debit card. The Promise to Pay notice allows customers to board the train with the intention of exchanging the notice at the first opportunity with a revenue officer, or at the next available booking office.

Why do Northern need to introduce Penalty Fares?

Reducing the number of people who travel without a ticket is not only in our interest as. the operator, but also in the interest of our fare-paying customers.

Few of us want to pay more for our tickets because some people avoid paying, and the loss of income due to people travelling without tickets reduces the money available to invest in a better rail service.

If I do not buy a ticket before travelling, is it an automatic Penalty Fare?

You are responsible for ensuring that you purchase a ticket or obtain a Promise to Pay notice that is valid for your entire journey before travelling, otherwise you may have to pay a Penalty Fare.

Northern is responsible for ensuring that the facility to purchase a ticket or Promise to Pay notice is available.

Can I pay at my destination if I am in a rush?

If you board a train without a valid ticket or Promise to Pay notice you may have to pay a Penalty Fare. If it is shown that your intention was to avoid your fare, then you are breaking the criminal law and you may be liable for prosecution.
https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/legal/penalty-fares
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:40   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There are no stupid questions - just the people that ask them…

Anyway, back to practicalities - did the station you boarded at have an open ticket office or a ticket machine? (It sounds as if you were trying to get the ticket whilst on the train, and the guidance states you need to get it before boarding the train).

The websites states

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/legal/penalty-fares
You'd make a great ticket inspector Hugh, the sort that wound the OP up !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 13:05   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
If possible, why not use Apple/Google pay on your phone ?

I can’t remember the last time I took my wallet out with me.

In addition, you didn’t understand how promise to pay works, and you got on a train without the means to pay for a ticket. And yet the person who was doing their job is a moron ?

I won’t level the same criticism at you, but I’d suggest a little self examination wouldn’t go amiss
I agree with you on this.

Another thought is he didn't keep his credit and debit cards on his person, he kept them in his hung up jacket i read in another thread!!!! i mean come on mate that is not very sensible.
Old 09-10-2021, 13:07   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Lesson learned. From now on I will carry some cash on me. And never ever do the PTP thing again.
If you were a video game character, your special skill would be blaming other people for your own screw ups.

Credit where it’s due, the thief at your workplace thoroughly inconvenienced you with his criminality (although I’m slightly surprised at your employer for not providing lockers). But everything that followed was the result of your own poor decision making and misunderstanding of how railway ticketing works. Given your well-publicised reliance on the railway network (you’ve posted about it lots on here) I’d have to say that misunderstanding is bordering on wilful. If you rely on these services you ought to know what they are for, and what they are not for. In the case of PTP for example, it seems to exist purely as a concession for people who only have cash and the platform ticket machine only accepts cards, in order to prevent people being unfairly caught out by penalty fare schemes.

I understand your desire to be a good worker but if you don’t have the means to travel, then you just don’t have the means to travel, and perhaps you should have just accepted that. Having decided not to accept it, and to take a chance on the system for your return journey, you really have no business being all pantomime shocked that the ticket seller on your return journey had a hard time understanding what the smeg you were trying to do. It was your behaviour that was odd, not his, and it’s way out of line for you to come on here and call him a moron in the light of everything you did in this situation.

Some people really are the authors of their own misfortune and it’s starting to sound like you’re one of them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 13:18   #9
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Partly in his defense . . there are firms that don't provide lockers for agency workers, and if you're not allowed certain items on the 'factory floor' it means 'carrier bags' on the locker room floor for all your belongings.

Not a great state of affairs, but hey, at least he's working and beggars can't be choosers over company policy.
Old 09-10-2021, 13:29   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for not keeping your debit/credit cards and NR smartcard in your trouser pocket, but not one that springs to mind at the moment..
Old 09-10-2021, 14:06   #11
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for not keeping your debit/credit cards and NR smartcard in your trouser pocket, but not one that springs to mind at the moment..
never worked in a food processing factory then Hugh
Old 09-10-2021, 14:08   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Reminds me a bit of when I put petrol in my car a few years back and for whatever reason my debit card was declined. There was more than enough money in my account but the transaction kept being declined, I tried it about 5 or 6 times.

After the final attempt I said to the assistant that I was sorry but for whatever reason my card wasn’t working and I didn’t know how to pay for my petrol.

The assistant then said “do you have any other means to pay?”.

Erm….if I had then why would I be trying my card over and over again?? Wouldn’t I have tried that “other means” as soon as I was having problems with my card??

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 14:17   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
never worked in a food processing factory then Hugh
Actually, I did before I joined the RAF - a onion processing factory in Norfolk…
Old 09-10-2021, 14:30   #14
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Reminds me a bit of when I put petrol in my car a few years back and for whatever reason my debit card was declined. There was more than enough money in my account but the transaction kept being declined, I tried it about 5 or 6 times.

After the final attempt I said to the assistant that I was sorry but for whatever reason my card wasn’t working and I didn’t know how to pay for my petrol.

The assistant then said “do you have any other means to pay?”.

Erm….if I had then why would I be trying my card over and over again?? Wouldn’t I have tried that “other means” as soon as I was having problems with my card??
Yes, and that situation is also immediately complicated by the fact you're paying after filling your car up with what £60 odd of petrol and then can't pay for it.

I think that if you have made a reasonable attempt to pay you're not stealing even if you drive off without technically paying (with presumably some mechanism of making payment later) especially in your case when you had a working card and money in the account but presumably due to a system fault it wasn't registering. (If you knew you didn't have funds or went with a known broken card it would be different)>

In the original situation it's hard to suggest what else you could do though, assuming that it's not allowed for various reasons to have personal wallets, keys, phone etc whilst working, they should then provide secure storage as it can't always be avoided taking these into work, as they'd be required to get home and pay for travel etc. If this is breached or not provided then surely the employer should be responsible for this (even if they try not to be) as you have to get into work and they don't allow you to keep the items on you.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 15:27   #15
Carth
cf.mega poster

Welcome to the argument about who is responsible for the personal belongings of someone who doesn't work for you