Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 18-09-2021, 21:44   #2476
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
M&S announced the closure of eleven stores in France, nothing to do with covid

Correct. It is due to EU interpretation pedantry.

The sandwich fiasco that seph refers to, nothing to do with covid

Reintroduction of roaming fees, nothing to do with covid

Correct, but we could legislate to prevent this from happening if all operators decided to go down that route.

Collapse in exports of shellfish, nothing to do with covid

Correct. It is due to EU intransigence and sheer obstinacy.
Well, since 3 out of the 4 Operators have decided to go down that route, here’s hoping "legislation" occurs (but please feel free to hold your breath while waiting for it..).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2021, 21:54   #2477
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
M&S announced the closure of eleven stores in France, nothing to do with covid

The sandwich fiasco that seph refers to, nothing to do with covid

Reintroduction of roaming fees, nothing to do with covid

Correct, but we could legislate to prevent this from happening if all operators decided to go down that route.

Collapse in exports of shellfish, nothing to do with covid

Correct. It is due to EU intransigence and sheer obstinacy.
Perhaps if we had had a competent negotiating team the so called ‘interpretation pedantry’ wouldn’t have been an issue ?
Old 18-09-2021, 22:31   #2478
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Perhaps if we had had a competent negotiating team the so called ‘interpretation pedantry’ wouldn’t have been an issue ?
Assuming there had been a "competent negotiating team" do you think that the EU would have settled for anything more favourable to the UK than was negotiated?

What do you think a "competent negotiating team" could have achieved that would have been better for the UK?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 22:51   #2479
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Assuming there had been a "competent negotiating team" do you think that the EU would have settled for anything more favourable to the UK than was negotiated?

What do you think a "competent negotiating team" could have achieved that would have been better for the UK?

So, and if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that regardless of who we had negotiating on behalf of the U.K. we would have always come up short against the EU ?

Wasn’t there always the option of no deal which Boris had both the majority and the mandate for following the landslide Tory election victory ?
Old 18-09-2021, 23:03   #2480
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So, and if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that regardless of who we had negotiating on behalf of the U.K. we would have always come up short against the EU ?

Wasn’t there always the option of no deal which Boris had both the majority and the mandate for following the landslide Tory election victory ?
You understood me correctly.

And I've consistently said that Boris should have not sealed a deal. We should just have dropped out of the EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 23:05   #2481
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You understood me correctly.

And I've consistently said that Boris should have not sealed a deal. We should just have dropped out of the EU.
You have indeed, which begs the question, why are you so angry at the EU for the U.K. governments shortcomings/failures ?
Old 18-09-2021, 23:35   #2482
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or maybe a reasonable man’s interpretation of the agreement is different from that of the EU.

I can’t believe that you continue to defend these people against our own interests.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

Quote:

What’s happened to your memory? There was opposition to the idea of a ‘no deal’. Have you forgotten that?

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Quote:
You have indeed, which begs the question, why are you so angry at the EU for the U.K. governments shortcomings/failures ?
I blame the remainers. They did their absolute best to kill Brexit. What they did achieve was an imperfect Brexit deal.

This will not stand. Watch this space.
Old 18-09-2021, 23:37   #2483
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

"Our interests" are to be seen as a trustworthy partner in any future treaties we sign, not as a country who sign up to something for brief internal political gains, then almost immediately reneg on it.

A "reasonable person" tries to understand both sides of an argument, and then tries to propose a way forward, rather than constantly bleating about unfair it is that people expect you to live up to the agreements you signed…

Quote:
I blame the remainers
Course you do - unfortunately for you, reality does not reflect your thinking - neither Frost (who negotiated the agreement) or Johnson (who drove it through) are Remainers.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2021, 23:59   #2484
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Or maybe a reasonable man’s interpretation of the agreement is different from that of the EU.

I can’t believe that you continue to defend these people against our own interests.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

What’s happened to your memory? There was opposition to the idea of a ‘no deal’. Have you forgotten that?

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

I blame the remainers. They did their absolute best to kill Brexit. What they did achieve was an imperfect Brexit deal.

This will not stand. Watch this space.
OB I think your memory does you a disservice.

At the tories landslide election they campaigned on no deal was better than a bad deal, they subsequently won by a landslide. They had the numbers to force no deal through but chose not too.

In terms of the challenges that we’re currently facing from Brexit, all roads lead to Rome as to who is culpable for that.

1. The failure of U.K. negotiators as highlighted by seph
2. The failure of Boris to take the U.K. out on no deal when he had the numbers (this is if you believe no deal was ever a viable option)
3. The failure of those Brexiteers when considering points 1 & 2 above to think for some reason that the EU should ‘throw us a bone’ in terms of renegotiating.
Old 19-09-2021, 00:05   #2485
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
OB I think your memory does you a disservice.
I think this is the crux of the matter.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 00:05   #2486
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The interpretation has happened subsequent to the agreement. I think the fault on our side was that once an agreement was made, both sides would rely on good faith.

Clearly, that’s not possible with the EU. I would never trust those charlatans again. Ever.
Old 19-09-2021, 00:07   #2487
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
The interpretation has happened subsequent to the agreement. I think the fault on our side was that once an agreement was made, both sides would rely on good faith.

Clearly, that’s not possible with the EU. I would never trust those charlatans again. Ever.
Again, after the election Boris had the numbers to take us out on no deal, why didn’t he ?
Old 19-09-2021, 00:07   #2488
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

My memory must be as bad as OB's then, as I remember a fair few Parliamentary personnel loudly slagging off the 'no deal' option
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 00:10   #2489
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
My memory must be as bad as OB's then, as I remember a fair few Parliamentary personnel loudly slagging off the 'no deal' option

That would have been prior to the election. I’ll grant you there were still those decrying no deal afterwards but Boris had the numbers to force it through
Old 19-09-2021, 00:10   #2490
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"Our interests" are to be seen as a trustworthy partner in any future treaties we sign, not as a country who sign up to something for brief internal political gains, then almost immediately reneg on it.

A "reasonable person" tries to understand both sides of an argument, and then tries to propose a way forward, rather than constantly bleating about unfair it is that people expect you to live up to the agreements you signed…
We reneged because the EU has made an absurd interpretation on a signed document.

The EU interpreted it in a way that no reasonable party to an agreement would.

Once again, batting for the other side.

Incidentally, when has the EU ever fitted your ‘reasonable person’ definition?