Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2021, 21:49   #6991
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Would you think that the UK is more or less in steady state?

The numbers are stable-ish; the hospitals have continuing low-ish numbers suffering Covid.

The rest of us are getting on with life, perhaps with additional care than 18 months ago.

There must be a point coming where everyone's either had Covid or been double jabbed at which point wouldn't we be in flu mode?

The fact this is the first post on the subject in five days goes some way to show the lack of interest in COVID currently, I haven’t seen any scary posts from Sky news recently and Neil Ferguson has been quiet.

Afghanistan is where it’s at. COVID who?

One the international travel is sorted, there’ll be nothing newsworthy about COVID.

Of course the “annual” NHS autumn respiratory crisis will be blown out of proportion………if there’s nothing else more important happening.
Old 25-08-2021, 21:57   #6992
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Hmm, this is the most read article in the UK section of the FT:

Quote:
Jump in England Covid deaths alarms hospital leaders

Nicola Sturgeon refuses to rule out new lockdown measures in Scotland as cases more than double

Hospital leaders have expressed concern at strain on the NHS shortly before young people return to school and university after deaths in hospital from Covid-19 reached their highest level in England for five months and hospitalisations continued to rise.

Data from the Office for National Statistics showed deaths from Covid in England rose almost 10 per cent between early and mid-August. Deaths from Covid in hospitals in England and Wales, at 468, were the worst since late March, although still well below the levels seen at the height of the second wave.

Over the past seven days the number of people hospitalised has risen 9.1 per cent, according to data up to August 20.

Scotland, where pupils are already back in the classroom, may offer a foretaste of potential developments in England and other parts of the UK. New coronavirus cases have more than doubled over the past week since schools and professional football resumed, with the daily total hitting 4,323 cases on Tuesday — the highest daily number recorded during the pandemic so far, first minister Nicola Sturgeon told a Covid briefing.
https://www.ft.com/content/8271a173-...2-9ca25b59507a
Old 25-08-2021, 22:01   #6993
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Hmm, this is the most read article in the UK section of the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/8271a173-...2-9ca25b59507a
FT……..like i said…no ones bothered anymore.
Old 25-08-2021, 22:28   #6994
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
FT……..like i said…no ones bothered anymore.
That's because jfman is not around and the forum is focused instead on sunny uplands and Afghanistan.
Old 26-08-2021, 13:50   #6995
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

On Tuesday the 17th of August, my 17-Year-old had his first jab. On the 19th he started his first job at McDonald's (the easiest £50 he said he's ever earned), but on the 20th the Side effects hit him, and he could work, but was OK to return on the 21st.

McDonald's were very good, and he's planning his hours around college, so he can have time to study.
Old 26-08-2021, 20:15   #6996
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That's because jfman is not around and the forum is focused instead on sunny uplands and Afghanistan.

I've said before whether people are bothered or not is best measured by who is out spending money, and where. As opposed to Pierre's observation from his self-described privileged position where he was barely impacted by restrictions at all.
Old 26-08-2021, 21:23   #6997
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

I've said before whether people are bothered or not is best measured by who is out spending money, and where. As opposed to Pierre's observation from his self-described privileged position where he was barely impacted by restrictions at all.
Or your position of not giving a toss as long as the furlough keeps rolling in…………it’s stopping btw.
Old 26-08-2021, 21:56   #6998
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Or your position of not giving a toss as long as the furlough keeps rolling in…………it’s stopping btw.
My stance of protecting jobs and businesses remains the same, yes.

Empty nightclubs don’t make money. Neither do coffee shops in city centres next to empty glass office blocks.

I’m not sure what you mean by “rolling in” - I’m financially unaffected by any of the measures I support for businesses or employees affected by restrictions. However, unlike yourself in the ivory tower, I don’t think employees on universal credit and businesses going bankrupt is the long term economically positive outcome you think it is.

They’re not going to lower our tax bill Pierre. We are £2 trillion in debt with no sustainable plan to pay it, what makes £2.5 trillion is the cut off where they decide you need to pay it back?

Ultimately though as you say you don’t care, it’s not about health, or economics, you just hate state intervention even where it is beneficial. There’s no real reason to feign interest in people you have such absolute disregard and contempt for.

Last edited by jfman; 26-08-2021 at 22:07.
Old 26-08-2021, 23:51   #6999
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
I’m financially unaffected by any of the measures I support
Which I’m sure is why you support them.
Old 27-08-2021, 08:08   #7000
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Which I’m sure is why you support them.
Nice selective quote as ever and nothing of value to offer against the substantive point. I’d say a classic Pierre late night post but they don’t get any better during the day.

Quote:
I’m not sure what you mean by “rolling in” - I’m financially unaffected by any of the measures I support for businesses or employees affected by restrictions.
The intent, obvious to anyone who would be engaging in good faith, is that I’m not a beneficiary of any of the schemes as you implied in your previous post.
Old 27-08-2021, 08:20   #7001
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
My stance of protecting jobs and businesses remains the same, yes.

Empty nightclubs don’t make money. Neither do coffee shops in city centres next to empty glass office blocks.

I’m not sure what you mean by “rolling in” - I’m financially unaffected by any of the measures I support for businesses or employees affected by restrictions. However, unlike yourself in the ivory tower, I don’t think employees on universal credit and businesses going bankrupt is the long term economically positive outcome you think it is.

They’re not going to lower our tax bill Pierre. We are £2 trillion in debt with no sustainable plan to pay it, what makes £2.5 trillion is the cut off where they decide you need to pay it back?

Ultimately though as you say you don’t care, it’s not about health, or economics, you just hate state intervention even where it is beneficial. There’s no real reason to feign interest in people you have such absolute disregard and contempt for.
Businesses will have more chance of surviving if they got themselves back to normal again. If they have too many people on their books, those people need to look for alternative employment. We are told it's a workers' market out there, with an unprecedented number of vacancies.

The only area I can think of where continued furlough payments could be justified is in the travel industry, because it's the government that is imposing restrictions which severely limits the profitability and employment needs of these businesses.

It's strange that you are suddenly so concerned about the economy when you were spouting forth a little while ago how spending all this money was of no consequence. At such low levels of interest rates, you said, it would cost us nothing. I think you forgot that loans still had to be paid back!
Old 27-08-2021, 08:37   #7002
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Businesses will have more chance of surviving if they got themselves back to normal again. If they have too many people on their books, those people need to look for alternative employment. We are told it's a workers' market out there, with an unprecedented number of vacancies.

The only area I can think of where continued furlough payments could be justified is in the travel industry, because it's the government that is imposing restrictions which severely limits the profitability and employment needs of these businesses.

It's strange that you are suddenly so concerned about the economy when you were spouting forth a little while ago how spending all this money was of no consequence. At such low levels of interest rates, you said, it would cost us nothing. I think you forgot that loans still had to be paid back!
There’s no going back to 2019 just because they removed restrictions as you can see with many sectors complaining people are staying away.

It’s not strange that I’m concerned about the economy but you’ll note I said businesses and jobs. Your first paragraph proposes to throw a generation on the scrap heap, in low quality, low paying precarious work that Government subsidises through tax credits. That doesn’t create a growing, sustainable economy it simply entrenches stagnation and recession in the long run.

Can you source me the repayment plan for the £2 trillion of national debt?
Old 27-08-2021, 12:26   #7003
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Maybe we could sell our gold reserves . . . oops sorry, I didn't notice the word trillion after the £2

Old 27-08-2021, 18:03   #7004
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Maybe we could sell our gold reserves . . . oops sorry, I didn't notice the word trillion after the £2

I doubt we have much after a certain G. Brown sold it all at knock down prices.
Old 28-08-2021, 02:05   #7005
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There’s no going back to 2019 just because they removed restrictions as you can see with many sectors complaining people are staying away.

It’s not strange that I’m concerned about the economy but you’ll note I said businesses and jobs. Your first paragraph proposes to throw a generation on the scrap heap, in low quality, low paying precarious work that Government subsidises through tax credits. That doesn’t create a growing, sustainable economy it simply entrenches stagnation and recession in the long run.

Can you source me the repayment plan for the £2 trillion of national debt?
That is strange post coming from you, jfman. Let’s start at the beginning. Wasn’t it you who said that the National debt was not important?

Make up your mind, old chap!!