Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2021, 07:06   #6106
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Has it been explained why the Indian variant has been renamed the Delta variant?
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2021, 07:50   #6107
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Has it been explained why the Indian variant has been renamed the Delta variant?
Because nobody wants racists picking on Indians and nobody wants to annoy the fifth largest economy in the world.
Old 30-06-2021, 08:03   #6108
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Not sure how popular that will be. The public will probably be fine if it's clear the restrictions are going one way,

I wouldn’t be, there is no justification for it now. All restrictions should be lifted. If you personally want to wear a mask fine that’s up to you. But the need for tests/ certification etc….well there isn’t a need. Government should focus on the economy now.
Old 30-06-2021, 08:14   #6109
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I wouldn’t be, there is no justification for it now. All restrictions should be lifted. If you personally want to wear a mask fine that’s up to you. But the need for tests/ certification etc….well there isn’t a need. Government should focus on the economy now.
Stop testing and pretend it’s not there. Completely Trump-esque.

It’s already been proven the countries with the best economic response are those with the best public health responses. They should focus on the economy by doing it right, not taking short cuts. Hong Kong have banned travel from the UK, given we keep being told the economy means we can’t close our borders the same principle applies in reverse surely - we rely on other countries keeping them open to us.

Last edited by jfman; 30-06-2021 at 08:24.
Old 30-06-2021, 10:50   #6110
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Stop testing and pretend it’s not there. Completely Trump-esque.
No ones pretending anything, it's just irrelevant whether it's there or not.

If the population is vaccinated or has anti-bodies through infection. If people now getting infected are mostly only getting a mild disease they can manage at home.

What good is testing? What meaning does it have? what decisions would be made from it?

Quote:
It’s already been proven the countries with the best economic response are those with the best public health responses. They should focus on the economy by doing it right, not taking short cuts. Hong Kong have banned travel from the UK, given we keep being told the economy means we can’t close our borders the same principle applies in reverse surely - we rely on other countries keeping them open to us.
Given the current political tensions between China & the UK, I wouldn't be so sure that decision is 100% on Public Health grounds
Old 30-06-2021, 11:26   #6111
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
What good is testing? What meaning does it have? what decisions would be made from it?
Testing is going to be useful to pinpoint any new variants and also when and where booster shots might be needed going into the winter. I suspect testing will remain at least until next Spring for that purpose.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:34   #6112
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'm pretty sure 28 days annual leave is enough for anyone to go on holiday.

Not if those days included bank holidays.

I have had jobs where it was 28 days = 8 days BH then there was 1 day for every year you worked up yo 5 days.

My last job was 20 days + 8 BH them 1 day for every 3 years you worked up to 5 days. on top of that you had to keep 3 days for Christmas so effectively only got 17 usable days

20 days was NOT enough to have a 2 week summer holiday
Old 30-06-2021, 11:40   #6113
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No ones pretending anything, it's just irrelevant whether it's there or not.

If the population is vaccinated or has anti-bodies through infection. If people now getting infected are mostly only getting a mild disease they can manage at home.

Knowing who has the infection is critical to monitoring it within society. You may think it’s irrelevant, and from your own privileged position where restrictions do not affect you (and therefore meaningfully protect you) it is perhaps irrelevant on a personal level.

However critical to any pandemic response is knowing who has a virus, is at risk of it and how it affects them.

Quote:
Given the current political tensions between China & the UK, I wouldn't be so sure that decision is 100% on Public Health grounds
Probably a bit of both, but the same is absolutely inevitable for other countries if our numbers go through the roof. They’ve seen the consequences of importing large numbers of the delta variant here, despite a reasonably successful vaccination programme, nobody will be in a rush. Even worse if we just throw our hands up and admit failure by not testing. Every plane in would be a dice roll.
Old 30-06-2021, 11:46   #6114
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Reasonably successful … … the UK’s vaccination programme really has shattered your worldview, hasn’t it?
Old 30-06-2021, 11:55   #6115
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Reasonably successful … … the UK’s vaccination programme really has shattered your worldview, hasn’t it?
I know “overwhelming success” is the default for those who enjoy a dose of British exceptionalism but I doubt Pierre thinks it’s an overwhelming success if we keep having to postpone freedom day, keep masks, distancing and so forth alongside some of the highest (and rising) Covid case counts in Europe.

It’s a good practice run for the Autumn boosters though.

I know you don’t like your holidays in Europe but Old Boy has Benidorm he wants to get to.

Last edited by jfman; 30-06-2021 at 12:00.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:13   #6116
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I know “overwhelming success” is the default for those who enjoy a dose of British exceptionalism but I doubt Pierre thinks it’s an overwhelming success if we keep having to postpone freedom day, keep masks, distancing and so forth alongside some of the highest (and rising) Covid case counts in Europe.

I know you don’t like your holidays in Europe but Old Boy has Benidorm he wants to get to.

I can see him now in his football shirt and red peeling scalp crowding into the British bar for his British fry up, downed with a few lagers before heading back to the hotel sunbed and a row with any 'foreigner' daring to speak the local lingo.
Greatly enjoying Wales myself this week. A much more cultured place and people. Sunny and warm too.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:15   #6117
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

You do like chucking in unwarranted (though amusing) barbs!
A sort of evolved version of one of the members who likes taking potshots at me.

On your substantive point, politics gets in the way of pragmatism. Freedom Day is being postponed out of an over-abundance of political caution. The vaccine programme is an "overwhelming success". The Guvmin has not publicly taken into account the ratio of cases to tests (as compared with December) and doesn't seem to trust the lowish (though mounting) hospital figures.
They also don't emphasise the number of people in hospital with Covid when there were roughly the same number of infections recorded per day.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

June 27 2021: 1527

Jan 18 2021: 39254

So you can see why people, especially if they have researched the numbers, are angry about the delay. I'm not angry for myself as it has n impact on what I or my family can do.

On top of all that is the external political impact of some countries desperate for tourists and others desperate to keep the Brits out. All sorts of stuff tips into this mess.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:24   #6118
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Not interested in testing, not interested in foreign holidays, not interested in the guesswork predicting a 3rd, 4th, 5th wave.

I just want to know when my wife & daughter can bugger off back to working in an office.

Both work for the local council and have been working from home since March 2020 . . and it's doing my damn head in
Council are saving money with empty offices, we're obviously using more gas/electric/water while they're at home.
Both use laptops & phones constantly talking to other workers & 'clients', any supposed 'confidentiality' is out of the window, I'm now well versed in the financial packages on offer, who to contact if Mr X needs an orthopedic bed, the different rates paid to 3rd party care service providers, and lots of other stuff that I really shouldn't be hearing.

There are also jobs I can't do around the house because of the disruption it would cause to their work . . anything that entails the power off is a no-no, as is anything that would make too much noise & mess.

Apart from that . . am I eligible for Business Internet, and is it cheaper than what I currently have
Old 30-06-2021, 12:25   #6119
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You do like chucking in unwarranted (though amusing) barbs!
A sort of evolved version of one of the members who likes taking potshots at me.

On your substantive point, politics gets in the way of pragmatism. Freedom Day is being postponed out of an over-abundance of political caution. The vaccine programme is an "overwhelming success". The Guvmin has not publicly taken into account the ratio of cases to tests (as compared with December) and doesn't seem to trust the lowish (though mounting) hospital figures.
They also don't emphasise the number of people in hospital with Covid when there were roughly the same number of infections recorded per day.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

June 27 2021: 1527

Jan 18 2021: 39254

So you can see why people, especially if they have researched the numbers, are angry about the delay. I'm not angry for myself as it has n impact on what I or my family can do.

On top of all that is the external political impact of some countries desperate for tourists and others desperate to keep the Brits out. All sorts of stuff tips into this mess.

You may wish to look up "passive-aggressive"…

HMG’s caution is probably because of the unknowns around the Delta Variant - Governments all around the world are re-imposing mask mandates and other restrictions, so HMG are not being outliers in their behaviour.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:46   #6120
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Not interested in testing, not interested in foreign holidays, not interested in the guesswork predicting a 3rd, 4th, 5th wave.

I just want to know when my wife & daughter can bugger off back to working in an office.

Both work for the local council and have been working from home since March 2020 . . and it's doing my damn head in
Council are saving money with empty offices, we're obviously using more gas/electric/water while they're at home.
Both use laptops & phones constantly talking to other workers & 'clients', any supposed 'confidentiality' is out of the window, I'm now well versed in the financial packages on offer, who to contact if Mr X needs an orthopedic bed, the different rates paid to 3rd party care service providers, and lots of other stuff that I really shouldn't be hearing.

There are also jobs I can't do around the house because of the disruption it would cause to their work . . anything that entails the power off is a no-no, as is anything that would make too much noise & mess.

Apart from that . . am I eligible for Business Internet, and is it cheaper than what I currently have
AFAIK, you can claim tax relief on the extra costs. Also, why not have fun and tackle the Council on some form of reimbursement?

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You may wish to look up "passive-aggressive"…

HMG’s caution is probably because of the unknowns around the Delta Variant - Governments all around the world are re-imposing mask mandates and other restrictions, so HMG are not being outliers in their behaviour.
Ooh - another potshot.

Interesting though about the "unknowns". I believe, and am obviously open to challenge, that the KNOWNS bear on decisions. The Guvmin is always trotting out that they know that the vaccine works because the figures show that. But they don't use the figures to justify their "abundance of caution" because they put too litte trust in the figures that they say they are guided by (to end on a preposition).

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread