Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-12-2020, 16:30   #1591
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Like isolating for a few days, not coming if they have symptoms or have been with in contact with someone that has had symptoms.

Not rocket science. Just what sensible people that aren't scared of their own shadow will do.

Instead cowering alone behind a curtain waiting for the world to end.
You obviously haven't worked 10 hour shifts on a Covid ward like two of my family members have. Plenty of under 60's on there who thought it was nothing to worry about. Nothing to do with cowering, more about a little bit of patience, common sense and some consideration for others if not for yourself.
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2020, 16:38   #1592
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

There's some real BS on here at the moment, but I'll humour you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

a) asking them to provide evidence of a negative test before entry?
No, no need. ( BTW My school hasn't asked for a negative test for my kids to attend.)

Quote:
b) temperature scanning people on entry to your house?
That would come under "showing symptoms" header

Quote:
c) asking people to self isolate/quarantine for the required ten days before attending your house?
That requirement is only if you have had symptoms or been in close contact with some that has had symptoms.

There is no such requirement for visiting people or people visiting. but I have requested 3days which is above and beyond what is currently required.

Quote:
d) Asking people to wear masks whilst inside your house?
we're not a shop, so there is no such requirement

Quote:
e) maintain social distancing whilst guests are in your home but not at your table
That is brilliant, quite brilliant. This is where the country is at the moment. If you can't see the rank stupidity in that sentence......well. Or are you just taking the piss for a laugh?

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
You obviously haven't worked 10 hour shifts on a Covid ward like two of my family members have
You're right I haven't, and neither have you.

Quote:
Plenty of under 60's on there who thought it was nothing to worry about.
I didn't say it wasn't anything to worry about.

As I said I will be taking reasonable precautions.

Quote:
Nothing to do with cowering, more about a little bit of patience, common sense and some consideration for others if not for yourself.
I am using common sense and I haven't invited anyone else that I don't know that I have to consider.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
You obviously haven't worked 10 hour shifts on a Covid ward like two of my family members have
you're right I haven't, and neither have you.

Quote:
Plenty of under 60's on there who thought it was nothing to worry about
I didn't say it was nothing to worry and I'm taking sensible precautions

Quote:
Nothing to do with cowering, more about a little bit of patience, common sense and some consideration for others if not for yourself.
I am using common sense, and I've not invited any strangers to consider.
Old 16-12-2020, 16:47   #1593
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said ...

But still they come!...

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
When did following Government guidelines become "selfish signalling" was it when you mounted your high horse and clip clopped up to the moral high ground for yet another drivel based sermon, just asking for a friend who want's to come to xmas lunch without being vilified by the morality police.
Touched a nerve?

I didn't mention you, but anyway, I can't believe what you said...

(that you have a friend... )
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 16-12-2020, 16:49   #1594
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
There's some real BS on here at the moment, but I'll humour you.

No, no need. ( BTW My school hasn't asked for a negative test for my kids to attend.)

That would come under "showing symptoms" header

That requirement is only if you have had symptoms or been in close contact with some that has had symptoms.

There is no such requirement for visiting people or people visiting. but I have requested 3days which is above and beyond what is currently required.

we're not a shop, so there is no such requirement

That is brilliant, quite brilliant. This is where the country is at the moment. If you can't see the rank stupidity in that sentence......well. Or are you just taking the piss for a laugh?

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

You're right I haven't, and neither have you.

I didn't say it wasn't anything to worry about.

As I said I will be taking reasonable precautions.

I am using common sense and I haven't invited anyone else that I don't know that I have to consider.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

you're right I haven't, and neither have you.

I didn't say it was nothing to worry and I'm taking sensible precautions

I am using common sense, and I've not invited any strangers to consider.
I was referring to unfortunate strangers who come in to contact with your guests at a later date.

So if someone who rolls up to your place is asymptomatic for the virus which of your "sensible precautions" are going to prevent them from infecting others in your house and then strangers further afield.

I'm sure you'll have a watertight plan and you could maybe pass the info on to the medical authorities.
Old 16-12-2020, 16:58   #1595
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Personally, if my elderly parents, one of whom is very much in the vulnerable category, got infected with this disease due to my actions, I would be mortified. With my kids being in school, the chances of it hanging around are higher than many so it's Teams calls for now until this all dies down through isolation or vaccination.

The chances of getting infected are low but the consequences of an infection are high so I will give it a miss for now. If others want to take chances, it's their prerogative as long as they are willing to accept the consequences if things do go wrong
Old 16-12-2020, 17:09   #1596
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from The Sun:
The risk of coronavirus transmission inside the home has been "overstated", a top expert has claimed.

Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the chance of catching Covid from someone at home is one in five.

He claims that drops to around one in eight if you live with someone for less than five days.

It comes as Boris Johnson urged people to "exercise extreme caution" and avoid seeing elderly relatives at Christmas as efforts to maintain a UK-wide approach to easing coronavirus rules faltered.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:24   #1597
daveeb
cf.mega poster

One in five or even one in eight is very high risk. A 1% risk is considered high when looking at mortality rates for operations, illnesses etc.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:25   #1598
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I was referring to unfortunate strangers who come in to contact with your guests at a later date.
my guests are all very sensible.

Quote:
So if someone who rolls up to your place is asymptomatic for the virus which of your "sensible precautions" are going to prevent them from infecting others in your house and then strangers further afield.
What if my wife is asymptomatic, what if my kids are? Should I lock them out just in case?

Are you telling me you let family members into you house and you don’t know if they’re asymptomatic ? That’s very irresponsible of you.

Quote:
I'm sure you'll have a watertight plan and you could maybe pass the info on to the medical authorities.
Who are the medical “authorities”?
Old 16-12-2020, 17:30   #1599
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Personally, if my elderly parents, one of whom is very much in the vulnerable category, got infected with this disease due to my actions, I would be mortified. With my kids being in school, the chances of it hanging around are higher than many so it's Teams calls for now until this all dies down through isolation or vaccination.

The chances of getting infected are low but the consequences of an infection are high so I will give it a miss for now. If others want to take chances, it's their prerogative as long as they are willing to accept the consequences if things do go wrong
The danger with this virus is those that contract it with no symptoms. However they can still pass it on to a vulnerable person. If mass testing ever got off the ground we could maybe be more confident. However a lot has been promised and not delivered.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:31   #1600
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
my guests are all very sensible.

What if my wife is asymptomatic, what if my kids are? Should I lock them out just in case?

Are you telling me you let family members into you house and you don’t know if they’re asymptomatic ? That’s very irresponsible of you.

Who are the medical “authorities”?
Clearly you're in a bubble with the immediate family so what happens happens, all in it together to quote an old favourite.

The medical authorities are any of the health services who can gain valuable knowledge from your expertise in these matters.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:33   #1601
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

What if the turkey has bird flue.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:45   #1602
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
What if the turkey has bird flue.
It'll stop gobbling.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:50   #1603
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Clearly you're in a bubble with the immediate family so what happens happens, all in it together to quote an old favourite.
Don’t you see the futility of the argument you have just tried to make.

If they’re asymptomatic it doesn’t matter a jot if you’re in a bubble. My asymptomatic son could come home and infect us all. His asymptomatic elder brother could go back to school and infect his class.

I could go out and infect someone, even when taking pre-cautions etc, etc.

So trying call someone out as being reckless for not taking into account whether guests they may have over at Christmas is pointless and hypocritical- unless they text everyone in their bubble every time they leave the house.

Quote:
The medical authorities are any of the health services who can gain valuable knowledge from your expertise in these matters.
I can’t tell them nothing they don’t already know.
Old 16-12-2020, 18:05   #1604
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Don’t you see the futility of the argument you have just tried to make.

If they’re asymptomatic it doesn’t matter a jot if you’re in a bubble. My asymptomatic son could come home and infect us all. His asymptomatic elder brother could go back to school and infect his class.

I could go out and infect someone, even when taking pre-cautions etc, etc.

So trying call someone out as being reckless for not taking into account whether guests they may have over at Christmas is pointless and hypocritical- unless they text everyone in their bubble every time they leave the house.

I can’t tell them nothing they don’t already know.
You mentioned BS earlier and you're proving your point nicely above.
You can't control who is normally in your house or to an extent where they've been. What you have described does happen and if/when discovered you all isolate. You don't however have to have multiple extra people in the house, that's an avoidable risk you choose to take.
Old 16-12-2020, 18:22   #1605
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
that's an avoidable risk you choose to take.
For Christmas it is yes.

So won’t criticise you for being a worrying Grinch that wants everyone to unreasonably spend Christmas in isolation even though they accept the futility of it.

And you don’t criticise me for being an outrageous risk taker just because I want a few in-laws over for Christmas dinner whilst being sensible and following current guidance.

And the country will be happier place.