Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 12-10-2021, 12:10   #436
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
DAZN have sent a survey to users in the UK to measure their likelihood of purchasing a hypothetical boxing event between Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr. for £29.99.

None of them hold a world title.

Another nail in the coffin of the low cost streaming future if they are wanting £30 every other month for mediocre boxing on top of a sub.
Will that survey generate intel they might use to drive down the value of BT Sport in negotiations?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2021, 18:47   #437
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
DAZN have sent a survey to users in the UK to measure their likelihood of purchasing a hypothetical boxing event between Dillian Whyte and Andy Ruiz Jr. for £29.99.

None of them hold a world title.

Another nail in the coffin of the low cost streaming future if they are wanting £30 every other month for mediocre boxing on top of a sub.
That is what will happen, if OB is correct and streamers end up ruling the world.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 11:39   #438
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
That is what will happen, if OB is correct and streamers end up ruling the world.
Pay per view boxing is not a streaming phenomenon- it’s been with us for years. I don’t think sport will ever be sold cheaply, whether by way of conventional broadcasting or by streaming. However, if you only watch one kind of sport (eg football) I believe that this will end up cheaper than Sky.

The cheaper TV via streaming I have been on about has really been all about drama, news and documentaries rather than sport and I acknowledge that it is a lot less clear how prices will turn out there. I think that those who like watching a range of different sports may be the ones to lose out, but it all depends on which providers pick up the most sports rights.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

I see even streaming providers such as Roku are vulnerable to channel disputes.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...roku-platform/
Old 25-10-2021, 13:20   #439
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Pay per view boxing is not a streaming phenomenon- it’s been with us for years. I don’t think sport will ever be sold cheaply, whether by way of conventional broadcasting or by streaming. However, if you only watch one kind of sport (eg football) I believe that this will end up cheaper than Sky.

The cheaper TV via streaming I have been on about has really been all about drama, news and documentaries rather than sport and I acknowledge that it is a lot less clear how prices will turn out there. I think that those who like watching a range of different sports may be the ones to lose out, but it all depends on which providers pick up the most sports rights.

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

I see even streaming providers such as Roku are vulnerable to channel disputes.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...roku-platform/
In other words you’re only likely to “win” if you want to subscribe to a single supplier and only consume the limited content you can get there.

For those of us who have become accustomed to rich and diverse range of content from a range of content makers we will lose out in the long run.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 16:22   #440
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
In other words you’re only likely to “win” if you want to subscribe to a single supplier and only consume the limited content you can get there.

For those of us who have become accustomed to rich and diverse range of content from a range of content makers we will lose out in the long run.
I think it’s only sports lovers who like to have a variety of content who may lose out, but that could well change. Free or lower subscription streamers with advertising could be the answer, which is what people have now on the conventional channels.
Old 25-10-2021, 16:24   #441
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it’s only sports lovers who like to have a variety of content who may lose out, but that could well change. Free or lower subscription streamers with advertising could be the answer, which is what people have now on the conventional channels.
Disney and Discovery are pulling minority interest general entertainment and documentary content in different directions, so it isn’t true to state that viewers of non-sport content will be unaffected by higher costs.
Old 25-10-2021, 19:23   #442
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Word in office is Netflix planning another price rise on all packages.
Old 25-10-2021, 19:26   #443
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Word in office is Netflix planning another price rise on all packages.
The last rise was hard to swallow but I stuck with them, don’t think I would be keen to pay any more considering the amount of other services to choose from.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 20:02   #444
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Disney and Discovery are pulling minority interest general entertainment and documentary content in different directions, so it isn’t true to state that viewers of non-sport content will be unaffected by higher costs.
Higher costs are inevitable. All I have said is that streamers of scripted content will provide better value for money than conventional channels, which to my mind is pretty obvious. The flexibility subscribers have to change providers without hassle is an added bonus.

The problem with sport is that the limited number of sports that attract a large percentage of viewers encourages those with big pockets to scrape up all the goodies for themselves. That inevitably puts up the price because the bids are so high. Sky and BT have as much as said they have had enough, so they are both likely to pull out of the market altogether before long.

Where dramas and documentaries are concerned, there is no limit to the amount of content that can be produced as originals, and so the price of all that is relatively low. Competition helps the consumer in that area.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
The last rise was hard to swallow but I stuck with them, don’t think I would be keen to pay any more considering the amount of other services to choose from.
You won’t get us much choice that is free within the subscription with any other provider, although it’s fair to say that you’d never get around to watching more than a small fraction of the choice on Netflix.

Prime is second best, although there is also a lot of content on there that you need to pay an additional charge for. However, if you stick with the Prime originals, there’s loads to choose from, and there’s quite a lot more under the ‘Prime’ banner that is free also.

Apple TV and StarzPlay have some good stuff, but choice is much more limited. You can move on when you’ve seen enough anyway.

Acorn has some good stuff although they are still building their library - many of their programmes are archive content. Britbox may come into its own eventually, but I think there are only three originals on there so far, one of which is ‘Spitting Image’! If you like revisiting the old stuff, that might be worth a try.
Old 25-10-2021, 20:08   #445
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
They've made it very difficult to sub from other regions too unless you have a debit/credit card for that reason you have to use gift vouchers in that regions currency.
For me when they started blocking vpns (i use my to protect my connection) put them on thin ice, i'm paid up until Feb 2022 i won't be renewing.
Old 25-10-2021, 20:27   #446
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Higher costs are inevitable. All I have said is that streamers of scripted content will provide better value for money than conventional channels, which to my mind is pretty obvious. The flexibility subscribers have to change providers without hassle is an added bonus.

The problem with sport is that the limited number of sports that attract a large percentage of viewers encourages those with big pockets to scrape up all the goodies for themselves. That inevitably puts up the price because the bids are so high. Sky and BT have as much as said they have had enough, so they are both likely to pull out of the market altogether before long.

Where dramas and documentaries are concerned, there is no limit to the amount of content that can be produced as originals, and so the price of all that is relatively low. Competition helps the consumer in that area.
Does competition help the end user? All of these middlemen outbidding each other for content drives up costs, not reduces them. With fewer consumers to absorb the costs from. The end user loses the economies of scale that legacy platforms had in driving down prices from studios and third parties, who generally didn’t have many places to go.
Old 26-10-2021, 08:27   #447
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Does competition help the end user? All of these middlemen outbidding each other for content drives up costs, not reduces them. With fewer consumers to absorb the costs from. The end user loses the economies of scale that legacy platforms had in driving down prices from studios and third parties, who generally didn’t have many places to go.
Yes, it does, where choice is plentiful. I think scripted content will always be cheaper on streamers.

Where choice is more restricted (ie sport), it's a different scenario. However, there's a limit to what people will be prepared to pay.
Old 26-10-2021, 11:04   #448
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
BT have said they're exploring options and were last reported to be in talks with DAZN. But I don't believe Sky have stated any intentions of withdrawing from the market and indeed, just reported record viewing figures for Sky Sports.
Old 26-10-2021, 12:01   #449
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
BT have said they're exploring options and were last reported to be in talks with DAZN. But I don't believe Sky have stated any intentions of withdrawing from the market and indeed, just reported record viewing figures for Sky Sports.
What Sky said last time was that they were being more circumspect about the bidding process and that there was a limit on how much they were prepared to bid.

Of course, that might just have been a ploy to convince competitors to keep their bids lower than they might otherwise have done!
Old 26-10-2021, 12:25   #450
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What Sky said last time was that they were being more circumspect about the bidding process and that there was a limit on how much they were prepared to bid.

Of course, that might just have been a ploy to convince competitors to keep their bids lower than they might otherwise have done!
Absolutely agree - but don't think this means "they are both likely to pull out of the market altogether before long."