Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2021, 16:15   #1546
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Pretty sure the 86x are there from years ago when you needed separate AD channels, rather than being there specifically for an alternate BBC region. With TiVo/V6 and 360 the AD option can be carried on the main EPG option.

The only exception to that is where you have 'close' where people may get the 'wrong' region through cable compared to Freeview.
Old 22-09-2021, 16:53   #1547
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I don't see why Virgin would carry them both. If / when the English regions go HD, then the SD versions would be dropped.

Customers with 360 boxes wouldn't see them even if they were still there anyway.
We still get BBC2 SD as well as BBC2 HD, so hopefully we'll get the choice of both.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
is this why regional news on bbc one HD doesnt occur?

I do like regional variations of channels in SD. Hope they dont go!
It's because, as yet, all the regional BBC1's are in SD only. To enable viewers to watch non opt out programmes in HD, VM provide 108.
Old 22-09-2021, 17:06   #1548
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Pretty sure the 86x are there from years ago when you needed separate AD channels, rather than being there specifically for an alternate BBC region. With TiVo/V6 and 360 the AD option can be carried on the main EPG option.

The only exception to that is where you have 'close' where people may get the 'wrong' region through cable compared to Freeview.
The AD Channels are on 85X

Virgin has also got the following:

861. BBC ONE London
862. BBC ONE Scotland
863. BBC ONE Northern Ireland
864. BBC ONE Wales
865. BBC TWO

Virgin can also easy add the following

866. BBC TWO Northern Ireland
867. BBC TWO Wales

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's because, as yet, all the regional BBC1's are in SD only. To enable viewers to watch non opt out programmes in HD, VM provide 108.
Here in Scotland BBC One Scotland HD move on December 4th 2018 from Virgin Channel 108 to Virgin Channel 101.

But BBC One Scotland SD Channel can still be viewed on Virgin Channel 862.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

So from October 21st you may see (If BBC One HD English channels launch on that date):

Your local BBC One Channel on Channel 101 being an HD Channel.

And Channel 108 being axe to make room for Virgin to launch BBC Three HD from January 2022, like OFCOM wants.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 23-09-2021, 00:09   #1549
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Bizasia: ZEE confirms merger talks with Sony.

ZEE Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL) has confirmed merger talks with Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI).

The combined entity with a topline valued at Rs. 14,000 based on FY21 results, will see Sony being the majority stakeholder with 52.93% in the merged entity. ZEE Shareholders will take the remaining 47.07% stake.

https://www.bizasialive.com/zee-conf...lks-with-sony/
Old 23-09-2021, 02:02   #1550
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Bizasia: ZEE confirms merger talks with Sony.

ZEE Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL) has confirmed merger talks with Sony Pictures Networks India (SPNI).

The combined entity with a topline valued at Rs. 14,000 based on FY21 results, will see Sony being the majority stakeholder with 52.93% in the merged entity. ZEE Shareholders will take the remaining 47.07% stake.

https://www.bizasialive.com/zee-conf...lks-with-sony/
I remember when Zee started they decided to merge with the existing company 'TV Asia' as they decided that there wasn't enough market share for them both to survive on satellite.

Was TV Asia ever on cable?
Old 23-09-2021, 12:08   #1551
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I remember when Zee started they decided to merge with the existing company 'TV Asia' as they decided that there wasn't enough market share for them both to survive on satellite.

Was TV Asia ever on cable?
In 1995 when my area got cable United Artists/Telewest has an Asian channel but I can confirmed it was not TV Asia.

That was only on Astra 1A/1B.

Channel 08 (Sky One) - 12midnight to 6am.*
Channel 26 (The Comedy Channel/Sky Movies Gold) - 6am to 4pm.*

*TV Asia move to channel 26 from 12midnight to 4pm sometime later when BSkyB added more hours to Sky One.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_Asia

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 23-09-2021 at 12:29.
Old 23-09-2021, 13:19   #1552
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
TiVo home page has reveal that Virgin Media Showcase - Channel 100.

Is having an Virgin Media Club Re-wind night (Sep. 22nd) from 10pm to midnight.
I recorded this and have had it on in the background all morning (it's still on as I type) and it was certainly worth trying...though VM might not want to put on an event to promote their gigabit broadband, say "lag free" in the press release and then have noticeable syncing/lag between the London and Glasgow venues throughout. It's possible it was a retransmission problem and wasn't noticable in the two clubs, but I saw complaints about the streamed version of the transmission, so it wasn't just the version on Channel 100.

And just as I typed that part the picture froze and sound glitched off for the first time (about 1hr20 into Ch100 coverage).

I'm still enjoying it, but given the audio is the most important part they really should've prioritised that over the video.

The live event started at 7pm with other DJs so they had 3 hours to sort any tech problems before the headliners and the Ch100 coverage started at 10pm.

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Oh dear! The sound went entirely between 1hr38 and 1h51. And the picture is a little soft on its return.

The DJs carried on, so I'm guessing it was a retransmission problem rather than one that impeded them from collaborating in their Back 2 Back endeavour.

Still not a good look.

It was at the end of a New Order track...some may read something into that.
Old 23-09-2021, 22:10   #1553
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
There were rumours a few months ago that TS25-30 would be wound down. Since then 29 & 30 are no longer being used and now 27 & 28 are being cleared. I would expect 25 & 26 to be next. No time scale was mentioned, so it could take a while.
Last night the Dummy services TS27 Dummy and TS28 Dummy were removed and frequency data was removed from TS27 & 28 across all networks. Some of the video slates were left in place but it isn't unusual for there to be a delay before these are removed. As a result C053 & C054 should disappear from digitalbitrate in the next few days as it catches up with the changes.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
New tests have been added on 1405 & 1406 on internal networks. 11 new duplicate services have been added to TS30 but not added to any networks. TS30 was taken out of general use some time ago and these new duplicates are probably some sort of internal test.
More information on the TS30 services. Last night they started testing on some of Virgin's private networks. As mentioned previously these are not new services but duplicates of existing TV services. Unlike the original services, these aren't marked as "digital television service" but as "reserved for future use", so not the normal TV services.

When the services were added, the combination of HD and SD channels and carriage of services with the duplicated content (such as various BBC One regions) indicated that this combination wasn't really suited to stat-muxing. That led to some speculation that this could be a trial of IP delivery of normal channels.

A new section appeared in the SDT last night, listing URL's for these new TS30 services All linking to m3u8 services. m3u8 is normally associated with MPEG-DASH services (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP), so confirmation that the tests are for IP delivery of services to normal boxes.

These are not the same as Virgin's ongoing IPTV tests for broadband only customers.

(If Virgin eventually switches to this method of delivery rather than stat-muxing over DVB-C, these services will not be visible on sites such as digitalbitrate).
Old 23-09-2021, 22:20   #1554
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think it is possible this is how they may deliver the ‘upcoming’ Sky Sports UHD service?
Old 23-09-2021, 22:28   #1555
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
Do you think it is possible this is how they may deliver the ‘upcoming’ Sky Sports UHD service?
Maybe. I think what happens there will depend on what actually happens with UHD services on Sky, and that's not yet clear.
Old 24-09-2021, 21:13   #1556
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
m3u8 is normally associated with MPEG-DASH services (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP), so confirmation that the tests are for IP delivery of services to normal boxes.
Just a small update. I've been reminded that MPEG-DASH playlist files normally use the MPD file extension, with M3U8 more frequently used for HLS playlist files. No major difference to the end user, MPEG-DASH is an international standard, HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) is a proprietary standard designed by Apple. Both are streaming formats.
Old 25-09-2021, 11:27   #1557
Chris James
cf.member

Chris James is an unknown quantity at this point

Most BBC regions are going HD from Thursday 21 October.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p09v556t/2021/10/20
Old 25-09-2021, 14:22   #1558
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris James View Post
This was spotted by a couple of Digital Spy users on 6th September and has been discussed on this forum's thread from 16th September.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

​I don't have the ability to test this on other TV platforms so I don't know if this is on other Connected TV services, but it has changed on my VM V6 box. I only noticed it just now.

The BBC Connected Red Button Bridge no longer has News and Sport menu options, just iPlayer and Featured.

The last change that occurred removed Weather and Lottery. I was expecting a change, but was actually expecting BBC Sounds menu option to be added, not News and Sport shortcuts to be removed from the menu bridge.
Old 25-09-2021, 15:27   #1559
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
BBC ALBA and BBC Parliament are also both going HD on that date*.

*That time of posting BBC ALBA HD and BBC Parliament HD are only confirm as launching on BBC iPlayer.
Old 25-09-2021, 15:32   #1560
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Isn't that the date that the 360 is (supposedly) getting the All4 app at long last? Is there something special about the 21st of October?
Closed Thread