Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Press Yellow For +1 no longer hidden but still clunky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Press Yellow For +1 no longer hidden but still clunky

Old 13-02-2020, 11:41   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Press Yellow For +1 no longer hidden but still clunky

I've been having a try of the Press Yellow For +1 feature again, since it is no longer a hidden feature (thanks TheWatcher for noticing it now has an on-screen prompt) .

I can't see why they released it, it's still clunky, with blank screens, spinning discs and odd on-screen messages.

For Channel 4 SD> Channel 4+1 the message is "there is no +1 for this channel, yet it has already tuned to it! Now being pedantic I know that maybe the +1 doesn't have the regional advertising, so its not exactly the same, but it has still reached the intended channel.

For the others I have tried so far (Sky Witness SD, Sony Channel, ITV4 SD) they also switch to the correct +1, but then bring up the message "you are already tuned to a +1 channel". Which makes no sense.

The delay with blank screens and spinning loading discs doesn't happen on the similar Press Blue for HD feature, why should this be any different?

The on-screen messages don't look good at all, they are just confusing given the box successfully switches to the desired +1 channel.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2020, 20:41   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Press Yellow For +1 no longer hidden but still clunky

The issues have been noticed and a fix is on its way.

Once your box has done a connection back to Virgin Media today you should find that it's a much better experience.
Old 14-02-2020, 20:55   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Once your box has done a connection back to Virgin Media today you should find that it's a much better experience.
Good to know. Many thanks BenMcr.
Old 14-02-2020, 20:57   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The yellow button for +1 is news to me. The blue for HD doesn't work for a lot of channels. Whatever you do, don't press the red button by accident, or you'll be waiting for ages for some interactive rubbish you didn't want !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 21:11   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The yellow button for +1 is news to me. The blue for HD doesn't work for a lot of channels. Whatever you do, don't press the red button by accident, or you'll be waiting for ages for some interactive rubbish you didn't want !
It's been a hidden feature for quite some time. I discovered it ages ago, and posted it on here somewhere, when I stumbled upon it when I accidentally pressed the button.
Old 14-02-2020, 21:21   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
It's been a hidden feature for quite some time. I discovered it ages ago, and posted it on here somewhere, when I stumbled upon it when I accidentally pressed the button.
Just tried it on Gold, got a message saying wait a moment , which was a full minute, then a blank screen, then back to the same non +1 channel, then eventually the +1 channel. Think it still needs some work !
The big question is what does the green button do? Dare I ?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

The answer is, the green button does nothing. Think that's my favourite button
Old 14-02-2020, 21:46   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Just tried it on Gold, got a message saying wait a moment , which was a full minute, then a blank screen, then back to the same non +1 channel, then eventually the +1 channel. Think it still needs some work !
The big question is what does the green button do? Dare I ?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

The answer is, the green button does nothing. Think that's my favourite button
It was like that when it was hidden, that's why I was surprised they released it to everyone. After all this time I thought it would be fixed. Though BenMcr says it's getting fixed, so hopefully it'll work as well as the HD/Blue feature.
Old 16-02-2020, 15:20   #8
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Nothing showing on my v6 as of 2:20pm
Old 16-02-2020, 18:14   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Came on at 5,15
Old 17-02-2020, 10:39   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

I haven't had need to check so I only tried it again today, and it is indeed fixed and working as it should. Speedy and no messages.

I wouldn't be surprised if the feature being unhidden now is a precursor to VM rearranging the +1 channels. A Sky-style arrangement maybe.
Old 17-02-2020, 15:59   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I haven't had need to check so I only tried it again today, and it is indeed fixed and working as it should. Speedy and no messages.

I wouldn't be surprised if the feature being unhidden now is a precursor to VM rearranging the +1 channels. A Sky-style arrangement maybe.
It is a bit ludicrous some +1 channels aren't next to their parent channels. E.g. Gold Ch 124, Gold+1 Ch 194 !
Old 17-02-2020, 16:49   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It is a bit ludicrous some +1 channels aren't next to their parent channels. E.g. Gold Ch 124, Gold+1 Ch 194 !
The EPG channel order has been purposefully moving away from having +1s next to their primary channel for a while now.

Both the Discovery-owned channels and the Sky/Comcast channels have purposefully reordered their channels so that the highest +1s are below the lowest of their primary channels in their relevant categories. Only the HD channels are alongside their primary channels, in most cases, for the Sky/Comcast lineup, or have went HD-only in Discovery's case.

This suggests they now see On-demand as more important, so they have moved previously lower primary services to more prominent positions in numbers previously occupied by that broadcaster's +1s.

If I was designing the EPG I'd have a toggle button for +1s, where you could hide them all if you wanted. That way they could all be next to their primary channel, or hidden away, and quickly switched between this change of view with a single button press.

Finally launching the Press Yellow shortcut, is simply an aid to finding the +1s going forward.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:17   #13
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

My box does not seem to have updated to the latest version which has the yellow +1 icon.

Is there a way to force it?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 10:32   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
My box does not seem to have updated to the latest version which has the yellow +1 icon.

Power off and on again? . Works ok on my V6, but still clunky and takes ages on my old TiVo.
Old 18-02-2020, 12:21   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post

No, it hasn't been deployed in your region yet. Should be coming to you over the next few weeks.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote