Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Router required

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New Router required

Old 13-02-2020, 21:00   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
New Router required

Hey guys, my Asus dark knight router just packed up that was using in router mode on a VM Hub 2. So I need a new one. Got 2 kids with tablets and smartphones, a TV that we stream 4k from etc. We're on 250MB.

2 questions:

1) £150 budget - any recommendations Asus or otherwise?

2) Will it be plug and play?

Thanks
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2020, 21:44   #2
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Router required

I use this now Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Pack of 3
amazing coverage over a four bed semi detached
£67 on Amazon

Last edited by martkt10; 13-02-2020 at 21:48.
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 22:04   #3
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by martkt10 View Post
I use this now Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Pack of 3
amazing coverage over a four bed semi detached
£67 on Amazon
Thanks. Does it pass 4k through the pipes though? That's the only thing I'm worried about.
Old 13-02-2020, 22:19   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6...NrPXRydWU&th=1
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 22:34   #5
martkt10
cf.member

martkt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Thanks. Does it pass 4k through the pipes though? That's the only thing I'm worried about.
Don't know that, but i get a 70meg connection though out the house
you could go for the Tenda Nova MW6-3 but that £125
here is the naff american review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTCDrmgCgY&t=507s

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I had one of those packet up just out of warranty
martkt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 10:42   #6
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

4K streaming if the WiFi bandwidth is 70 Mbps would serve 3 parallel streams. Of course it’s not so simple with mesh WiFi if you’ve not set it up optimally with respect to the first node.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 00:30   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Can you stretch a little? If you get Ubiquiti's Unifi setup everything is modular, so the individual components can be swapped out down the line and you can add access points to the setup if you need to extend coverage - say into your garden or detached garage/shed. Some features like the guest portal require a controller to be running at all times (can be done on a PC or their own little cloud key dongle) but for a simple setup you can just do the config with your smartphone and not need the 24/7 controller functionality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Ne...1895355&sr=8-1
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...1895313&sr=8-5
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...1895313&sr=8-3
(better radio)

£186-£200 (but unifi stuff can be a chunk cheaper from dedicated networking suppliers websites, shop around!). And this kit is enterprise grade stuff but with consumer pricing (for the most part) so it will easily handle whatever a household can throw at it.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 04:43   #8
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I have a mixture of UniFi equipment and mikrotik.

The USG is not a great product, even the “pro” is underpowered. I recently sold my Pro after using it for a few months. Ubiquiti seem to be creating odd products at the moment, they now have the Dream Machine which replaces the USG and controlller in one unit, but you have to use the built in controller.

It is a very pretty system, but the USG line is in need of updates (they discontinued the ridiculously expensive XG) and it’s not clear if that will happen with the Dream Machine encroaching on that product line.

I do exclusively use their access points though, as the poster above said it’s a neat system for that. I also use their cameras as well.

I actually have a NUC which runs a whole load of services on Proxmox and has a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with W 10Gb fibre card in it, I run Untangle as my router and it’s awesome. It’s not a cheap solution though when you factor in the hardware.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:57   #9
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Can you stretch a little? If you get Ubiquiti's Unifi setup everything is modular, so the individual components can be swapped out down the line and you can add access points to the setup if you need to extend coverage - say into your garden or detached garage/shed. Some features like the guest portal require a controller to be running at all times (can be done on a PC or their own little cloud key dongle) but for a simple setup you can just do the config with your smartphone and not need the 24/7 controller functionality.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Ne...1895355&sr=8-1
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...1895313&sr=8-5
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne...1895313&sr=8-3
(better radio)

£186-£200 (but unifi stuff can be a chunk cheaper from dedicated networking suppliers websites, shop around!). And this kit is enterprise grade stuff but with consumer pricing (for the most part) so it will easily handle whatever a household can throw at it.
Thanks for this. I currently run two switches wired from my router as access points. Out of these switches come wired streaming devices, laptops and also 2 routers - One is a TP-Link and the other a netgear.

Would these all be compatible?
Old 17-02-2020, 18:42   #10
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Your existing switches would be fine - they just pass packets around to other devices. Ubiquiti do their own line of Unifi managed switches which are good, but fairly pricey, and I've never really seen the need for a managed switch at home unless you want to see individual port stats/power usage.

The USG is a little underpowered, aye, but only really if you're running a full gigabit with a lot of functions turned on. For home use they are fairly solid.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 22:26   #11
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Hey guys, my Asus dark knight router just packed up that was using in router mode on a VM Hub 2. So I need a new one. Got 2 kids with tablets and smartphones, a TV that we stream 4k from etc. We're on 250MB.

2 questions:

1) £150 budget - any recommendations Asus or otherwise?

2) Will it be plug and play?

Thanks
Before you spend money on a new router, there's a really common fault with that particular model (I had the same one) where the spring in the power button would fail, causing it to never click "in" to place. It's fairly easy to fix and you can just stick the button down with some tape, if that is indeed what the failure was for you.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote