Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

Old 13-02-2018, 23:59   #136
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Oh come on Hugh, you know what we mean.
Nobody is suggesting it should be ignored, but the more something is shouted from the rooftops the more it becomes just background 'noise' that has little impact.

Years ago there were things in the news that made me sit up and take notice, now those same things have become so commonplace that it has lost the 'shock/horror' effect. If you hear something long enough it simply becomes background noise.

oh, and if I was a sportsman earning (a minimum) 20K+ a week and people in the crowd called me names, I'd laugh and thank them for contributing to my wages
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2018, 00:04   #137
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Nobody is suggesting it should be ignored, but the more something is shouted from the rooftops the more it becomes just background 'noise' that has little impact.

Years ago there were things in the news that made me sit up and take notice, now those same things have become so commonplace that it has lost the 'shock/horror' effect. If you hear something long enough it simply becomes background noise.

oh, and if I was a sportsman earning (a minimum) 20K+ a week and people in the crowd called me names, I'd laugh and thank them for contributing to my wages

You can x10 that in many cases in the EPL mate....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 10:06   #138
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Quite right, Carth. About 15 years ago, I was shocked to hear the 'F' word used in some American series, but now it's used so much, it has lost its shock value. Hell, it may even become mainstream in another couple of decades, and no longer regarded as a swear word.

People need to be less sensitive to the use of words. An insult or threat is unpleasant whether you use those words or not, but to use such words casually in a sentence without deliberately demeaning someone likely to hear it is not worth getting in a state about.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 16:46   #139
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

This story has now reached the mainstream media.

According to Channel 5, Ofcom believe that such words can be used as long as a warning is given beforehand and any programming containing them is shown after the watershed.

A black woman and a white woman were asked for their views about this. The black woman stated that she believed that there was no need for such words to be used and that they should be removed. The white woman said that she believed that it was dangerous to rewrite history and that it was important that the way black people were treated be remembered for the benefit of younger people and future generations.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 16:56   #140
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This story has now reached the mainstream media.

According to Channel 5, Ofcom believe that such words can be used as long as a warning is given beforehand and any programming containing them is shown after the watershed.

A black woman and a white woman were asked for their views about this. The black woman stated that she believed that there was no need for such words to be used and that they should be removed. The white woman said that she believed that it was dangerous to rewrite history and that it was important that the way black people were treated be remembered for the benefit of younger people and future generations.
That was said on the Wright stuff this morning, by two of the panelists.
Erasing history for whatever reason, is very dangerous imo.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 17:30   #141
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Quite right. Erasing history does no-one any favours.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 18:44   #142
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from alwaysabear:

Those that forget their history are doomed to repeat it.