Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Old 17-02-2004, 11:13   #1
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherN00b
1) Yes it does - the link to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bandwidthadvice/ contained in the letter gives some advice.

2) This could be provided on request.
This is really interesting I have been asking to be able to do this for over a year. Had a run in on the phone the only time I can really say that the person on the other end was disrespectful to me.. I have been asking so now please can I have the access to monitor the SACM as requested in NTLs own link above.

Quote:
Traffic Accounting

One of the first steps needed to control your bandwidth usage is to monitor the total amount of traffic passing through your cablemodem.

Please note that ntl: do not endorse any of the following products, links are provided as a starting point only. You should also ensure that you are monitoring the total traffic on the interface connected to your cablemodem rather than on individual machines in your household. This is particularly important if you are running a home LAN.
I would if NTL didn't have the ip blocked so I can't set up MRTG!!!!!!

Come on you tell us to do it in one hand and stop us with the other..

Decision time NTL can we or can't we monitor our own usage of the service......

I was on about this on old .com and stil trying now... no more excuses either we can or we can't if C&W areas can't be allowed to monitor their traffic then remove the CAP!!!!
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2004, 11:16   #2
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty

I would if NTL didn't have the ip blocked so I can't set up MRTG!!!!!!

Come on you tell us to do it in one hand and stop us with the other..

Decision time NTL can we or can't we monitor our own usage of the service......
The IP is not blocked Kitty, but access to SNMP (which MRTG uses) is blocked on the CM. You can use other products apart from MRTG to monitor the bandwidth, such as DU Meter.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 11:22   #3
Optiplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
The IP is not blocked Kitty, but access to SNMP (which MRTG uses) is blocked on the CM. You can use other products apart from MRTG to monitor the bandwidth, such as DU Meter.
Only problem with that is if you have a router. DU meter looks at the ethernet card of the pc it is running on not the total through the modem.
Old 17-02-2004, 11:30   #4
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The quote says its no use monitoring individual machines.. Du-meter cannot monitor the SACM only individual machines.

I have asked and still asking for a way to monitor the SACM which is the only way to monitor the complete downloads/uploads for all machines...

Just sent this to bandwidth@ntlworld.com lets see if I get a reply.

Quote:
Subject MRTG.
This works great with blueyonders SACM modems BUT! you have to be allowed access to the SACM to set it up. I have been asking since the cap was added to the AUP! I have been abused on your phone lines at the begining for asking to monitor my usage.. I was quoted " its company policy not to allow customers in C&W areas that access". I asked for NTL to set up a webpage that I could log into to view my usage in graph form like MRTG. again " NOT company policy"

Come on either drop tha cap or allow us the access required to use MRTG. I even changed from STB to SACM to monitor my usage.. I have 2 teenagers sharin this connection it is not easy to monitor when the company supplying the service is to much not company policy to find a way to help the customer.

I would love to be able to set up MRTG its on my webspace waiting to go. Robin Walker found a work round but it will not work if a router is in use...
MRTG is the best please review your stance and allow us the access required to run it or revert back to no cap. there is no middle of the road. It is no use saying we will send a letter when you have broken the terms.. THAT is too little too late. Its as the month is progressing we need to see whats already been used.
Waiting and hope its not invane
Florence
I am more than willing to test things out working with NTL to sort this out just until now its been more they are not interested. BBKing I know is trying to sort things out but after more than a year you start to give up.
Old 17-02-2004, 11:31   #5
blue jammer
Inactive

blue jammer is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried DU Meter, but found it wasn't acurate.

Plus, a breakdown of the results included e-mail activity, where when I switched off the 2 other pc's connected, and just looked at e-mail activity, it seemed quite high for just checking for mail, this added up over a 24 hour period eats in to the 1gig allowance, which I think is too low anyway, especially if you share the connection with 2 other housemates, 333.33r MB per person, per day hmmmmmmm
blue jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 11:34   #6
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiplex
Correct
Blueyonder customers can use MRTG through the same router I have and I can prove it to all. Its NTL who are stoping us monitoring our usage......

Veiw this page and see just that MRTG working through a linksys router.
Old 17-02-2004, 11:36   #7
Frank
cf.mega poster

Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Have people with routers tried opening up port 161 for UDP traffic? This will allow SNMP through and you should be able to monitor your cable modem using MRTG. I am reliably informed that SNMP can be used to monitor traffic.
Old 17-02-2004, 11:43   #8
Frank
cf.mega poster

Fair enough. Seems ntl need to have a rethink about their policy in ex-C&W areas then, if customers with routers can't actually monitor their bandwidth
Old 17-02-2004, 11:45   #9
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Services: Depends who's being serviced :p
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze
Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Blueyonder customers can use MRTG through the same router I have and I can prove it to all. Its NTL who are stoping us monitoring our usage......

Veiw this page and see just that MRTG working through a linksys router.
Mr Bayliss had best hope BY don't ever cap, he's caning the connection a bit!

Sociable - in answer to your previous point it looks as though only very heavy users are being targetted, possibly in a particular area - I'll point you to the main 'cap' thread where the user who received a letter was, according to his friend, using 10GB a day, that's full download cap 24x7. The poster in that thread also using similar amount, I imagine that if all these are in the same area that area could well have a disproportionate amount of downstream usage compared to elsewhere in the country. Will have to see what comes to light. If it's really really heavy users changing times of usage aren't really an issue.

Kitty, what are the internal IPs you are using on your router? 192.what? Maybe 10.x ?
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 12:28   #10
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
The IP is not blocked Kitty, but access to SNMP (which MRTG uses) is blocked on the CM.
Since when? Are you sure? Other customers have MRTG working on SACMs, so I don't think SNMP is blocked.

Kitty, in another thread Ambit 200 in ex-C&W region: possible fix, you said:
Quote:
I have not dropped the interenet for a while so things have continued to run. MRTG is still working.
So what changed: you had MRTG working then, why not now?
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 13:35   #11
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
Since when? Are you sure? Other customers have MRTG working on SACMs, so I don't think SNMP is blocked.

Kitty, in another thread Ambit 200 in ex-C&W region: possible fix, you said:So what changed: you had MRTG working then, why not now?
Yes it is running but only logs when the router is not included. as soon as I place the router in MRTG adds nothing to the graph even though it updates it twice a day. It shows me using nothing eitherway.

Edited to add the link to MRTG on my website according to it I updated on the 18th Jan and havent used anything. take a look
Old 17-02-2004, 13:41   #12
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Ignition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronzeIgnition is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes it is running but only logs when the router is not included. as soon as I place the router in MRTG adds nothing to the graph even though it updates it twice a day. It shows me using nothing eitherway.
Doesn't that suggest that it's the router that's the issue not the cable modem?
Old 17-02-2004, 13:43   #13
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherN00b
Doesn't that suggest that it's the router that's the issue not the cable modem?
Maybe the router needs a port mapped for the snmp udp packets ?

If you runs a proper server you dont have these problems. !
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 13:46   #14
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Maybe the router needs a port mapped for the snmp udp packets ?

If you runs a proper server you dont have these problems. !
I have a feeling the router doesn't like the idea of talking to the modem on 192.168.100.1, think Robin Walker has touched on this with his previous posts on the subject.

Regarding Richard M's points, fair comment, I didn't really pay that much attention to it but it does seem a bit strange both to use an http://homepages page, and the email address for 'contact us' is an @ntlworld.com one. Time will tell what the score is I guess, what's the postmark on the envelope, unless someone could fake ntl's franking machine that'd be quite a good bit of evidence, and where is the postmark from?
Old 17-02-2004, 13:56   #15
Ignition
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Ah the routing table entry - I remember..... I would have though that the routing table needs to be updates on the router via a static stub network entry or the like !!!!

Now that both of you have mentioned the website Hmmmmmm - It does look a little fishy !!!!
Nah more to do with UDP state tables on routers innit :p