Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless help

Old 24-10-2006, 17:19   #1
paul11974
Inactive

Services: xl phone & xl tv 2mb broadband £34.95pence
paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light
Wireless help

Hi im after some help on routers i have a wired router at the moment and have purchased a laptop is there ayway i could buy a wireless usb stick for my wired router instead of having to purchase a whole new wireless router ?
paul11974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2006, 17:24   #2
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WIRELESS HELP

To get wireless connection you need a wireless router which will wirelessly route the connection. What make/model router do you have? It might already have a wireless feature.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 17:30   #3
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

You can just get a Wireless Access Point instead of a new router.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 17:38   #4
paul11974
Inactive

paul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of lightpaul11974 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKnowledge View Post
To get wireless connection you need a wireless router which will wirelessly route the connection. What make/model router do you have? It might already have a wireless feature.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...Fencoding=UTF8

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
You can just get a Wireless Access Point instead of a new router.
could you tell me a little more please ?
Old 24-10-2006, 17:47   #5
AntiSilence
Inactive

AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul11974 View Post
could you tell me a little more please ?
Well, if you've already got the router, you can stick an access point on the wired network so you can use wired as well as wireless.

It saves buying a whole router. An example would be one of these
Old 24-10-2006, 17:48   #6
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wireless help

The price difference between an AP and a wireless router is the same. I would rather go for a new wireless router.

Edit> Sorry AntiSilence - a minute late with my post...dammmn
Old 24-10-2006, 17:50   #7
AntiSilence
Inactive

Quote:
The price difference between an AP and a wireless router is the same. I would rather go for a new wireless router.

LOL

I'd rather stick with my wired network since I had wireless and my game pings went up to over 100.
Old 24-10-2006, 17:59   #8
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
Well, if you've already got the router, you can stick an access point on the wired network so you can use wired as well as wireless.

It saves buying a whole router. An example would be one of these
thank you antisilence would this one not be better as its the same make ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WAP5...&s=electronics

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:

yes i was thinking this which one would be best to hook up with this laptop ?

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=48HL
Old 24-10-2006, 18:31   #9
NoKnowledge
Inactive

Quote:
yes i was thinking this which one would be best to hook up with this laptop ?

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=48HL
That link is for a HP lappy.
Old 24-10-2006, 19:10   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

My HP laptop has an Intel WirelessG card (same vintage as yours), so any wireless access point should be sufficient, such as the WAP54G.
Don't forget, if you get a WAP54G you will have two devices plugged in doing the job that one could do.If you want just one, then a Linksys WRT54G would do the job.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 19:45   #11
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
That link is for a HP lappy.

yes i know i was asking the best wireless router for that laptop
Old 24-10-2006, 22:06   #12
paul11974
Inactive

well it worked out at £35 for the access point and £37 for the router so have decided to go with the router

few more questions

will i have to reconfigure the little mans ps2 to play online
Old 24-10-2006, 22:12   #13
NoKnowledge
Inactive

Quote:
yes i know i was asking the best wireless router for that laptop
Lol, My name is No Knowledge so serves me right.

Quote:
will i have to reconfigure the little mans ps2 to play online
Don't you mean yours? And yes it will need to be reconfigured as you won't be using the wired router so flog it on eBay.
Old 25-10-2006, 00:21   #14
paul11974
Inactive

Quote:
Lol, My name is No Knowledge so serves me right.

Don't you mean yours? And yes it will need to be reconfigured as you won't be using the wired router so flog it on eBay.
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so what will i have to change for him to still be able to play online with his ps2 ?

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 22:25 ----------

could i not plug this wireless router into my wired router and it will work ?
Old 25-10-2006, 00:34   #15
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Your wireless router will most likely come with 4 wired ports as well (the linksys WRT54G does), so hooking up the ps2 should be a matter of simply plugging in the existing cable for the ps2. The lappy will require configuring for wireless access.