Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 12:38   #6931
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Would this mean someone is manipulating phorm stock if one shows as a sell and another as a buy....
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2008, 12:52   #6932
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Those share prices seem strange it shows the large £207 as a sell yet on ill it is showns as a buy.
the way iii works is it it's above the mid point price it is classifide a buy, below a sell, it seems to get it right most of the time but sometimes a seller gets a good price and other times buyers can get a cheap deal

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Quote:
Would this mean someone is manipulating phorm stock if one shows as a sell and another as a buy....

i have been sat over on iii for a month or so, and there seems to be several ways and reason people buy and sell stocks , you have the rampers trying to talk up the stock to get a quick return on there investment, the shorters who use an intersting process to make money as the share price falls so they try to push the price down then you also have the long term investor who take no notice of the short term ups and down but look at long term moving average prices.

as a techie i have found it an interesting time while throwing the odd spanner in the forum as well, as do several others from here
Old 21-05-2008, 12:53   #6933
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

About to go into the final exam of my degree....wish me luck. Ironically it is on Decision Support Systems (which could be used to describe a behavioural advertising model).

Just two papers left to hand in after today, one for my final year group project and one on the Patriot Act.

Alexander Hanff
Old 21-05-2008, 13:05   #6934
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
About to go into the final exam of my degree....wish me luck. Ironically it is on Decision Support Systems (which could be used to describe a behavioural advertising model).

Just two papers left to hand in after today, one for my final year group project and one on the Patriot Act.

Alexander Hanff
Good luck Alexander we all are wishing you to pass
Old 21-05-2008, 13:05   #6935
Paul Delaney

Good Luck Alexander - break a leg

Old 21-05-2008, 13:06   #6936
Florence
Inactive

I had noticed you on their bluecar a few times I have had a good laugh but avoided joining them..
Old 21-05-2008, 13:31   #6937
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post

Alexander Hanff
KILL THE HERETIC !

Seriously though, good luck

PS Forgot to mention that I switched to Zen last night - totally pain-free process and I'm now 100% guaranteed Phorm free ! Also got a little boost in speeds too...which is nice
Old 21-05-2008, 13:38   #6938
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I had noticed you on their bluecar a few times I have had a good laugh but avoided joining them..
i do try to keep it relevant on there and not just rant because they then ignore you, the old slowly slowly catchee monkey scenario

you have to register then wait two days before you can post, but lately even a few investors seem to be questioning the viability of phorms business model and projected incomes. brettypoos is the only one who seems to defend phorm but if you read his replies he does it to bait the ranters and techies and for a bit of fun

but i just keep chipping away

i also post on theregister but as myself "peter white" not to worried about privacy as many people called that in the uk

peter
Old 21-05-2008, 13:38   #6939
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
KILL THE HERETIC !

Seriously though, good luck

PS Forgot to mention that I switched to Zen last night - totally pain-free process and I'm now 100% guaranteed Phorm free ! Also got a little boost in speeds too...which is nice
Zen is a good company have friends in the techies there one in particular on MSN :P nice guy will go that extra mile.
Old 21-05-2008, 13:51   #6940
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

BT seem to have been a bit flustered by the last article about them and PHORM in "MICRO MART" and asked for some retractions

but the also offered to answer any questions "micro mart" puts to them about it and "micro mart" have asked for ideas on what to ask to be mailed to editorial@micromart.co.uk
Old 21-05-2008, 13:52   #6941
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

The pre-transfer email was 100% spot on, exactly the kind of thing I would write to help someone reconfig their equipment, good mix of noddy instructions and full tech details if required - always a good sign.

The transfer across was something that reminded me that BT Wholesale will have a big part to play in this little saga, as my VCI etc all stayed the same, just my username and password changed really. DHCP then gave me a Zen IP, so the connection up to the Radius server must be the same whoever you are with (assuming you aren't unbundled).

I believe this is how some people were suggesting that BT could handle the opt-in (by using different radius profiles) but would obviously encounter some obstacles as BT Wholesale have to treat BT Retail as a customer just like everyone else (Zen for example).

However, having worked on BT's spiders-nest of a network I can say that they all run equipment on the same infrastructure at some point, so splitting them apart is more of a business level excercise than a network level one.
Old 21-05-2008, 14:19   #6942
Florence
Inactive

Have anyone any views on this posted on ISPreview http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/bt08/
Old 21-05-2008, 14:30   #6943
davews
Inactive

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

"...some real customer benefits, including better protection against phishing. Consumer research we have done suggests to us that many people would like to see relevant advertising...."

Same old stick in the mud line. Phishing offers no benefit to those who use a browser with it in - I have enabled the option in Opera and it works well, no slow down, no need for the Phorm version....

All advertising is of course irrelevant for me as I never look at them, have long been filtering them where I can. What I remain puzzled at though is how they can possibly profile your interests from a simple word search of sites you visit. Does me visiting regularly the Telegraph home page mean I have an interest in politics, no and I simply don't read those bits... Most of my browsing is to technical sites with words that Phorm probably doesn't even understand....

But I suppose that is the official word he has to say regardless of what he personally thinks.
Old 21-05-2008, 14:30   #6944
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

Quote:
BT has recently taken a lot of criticism for its decision to adopt Phorm's controversial advertising system, which is a complex debate and somewhat difficult to summarise into a single question. Suffice to say, what are your personal thoughts on the matter, would you be happy to have the websites you visited tracked regardless of whether it was done anonymously or not?

PGM(BT): We think Phorm offers some real customer benefits, including better protection against phishing. Consumer research we have done suggests to us that many people would like to see relevant advertising. We are going to continue to investigate this technology, and we will only include customers who want to participate in our tests.

As a matter of information the websites people visit through search engines like Google are already tracked, while online retailers like Amazon have been giving their customers targeted advertising for years.
Typical spin-doctoring. Google don't take a copy of every web page you visit, and if you used a different search engine they wouldn't see it at all.

Amazon can target advertising based on their customers' buying patterns, which is data they legally hold, not bought from some shonky outfit.

What consumer research? Who's legal advice? What PIA? What video?

Perhaps they're trying to bore us to death. They obviously have no idea how tenacious we are and how difficult it is to bore a techy :P
Old 21-05-2008, 15:08   #6945
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As a matter of information the websites people visit through search engines like Google are already tracked, while online retailers like Amazon have been giving their customers targeted advertising for years.
These idiots make my blood boil.

Google track the sites webmasters have given their permission for.
Amazon only do this for account holders with permission and it can be turned off in your preferences if you don't want it.

Neither of these is an argument for BT/Webwise/Phorm being able to do it.

OB
Closed Thread