Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media setup nightmare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media setup nightmare

Old 16-01-2019, 15:07   #1
imanolbarba
Inactive

imanolbarba is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media setup nightmare

Hi everyone!

First post here, I'm new to the UK and VM and I haven't still been able to get my connection set up, I'll explain my situation:

I tried to order 350M around November 10th , and while it said it on the website that it was available in my address, they said outright that it'd have to be 200M because "The installation in the property is old" or something of the sort.

Bummed out, but resolved I said OK, and then they said that it'd take 7 working days to get it done because there were some "capacity issues" in the area. After 7 days I asked again, then it was 5 days, after that they "didn't know", and then they upgraded to 1-2 months, and on December 21st they called me to say "up to 90 days"

Feeling like they were taking the piss, I looked out for other providers, but they offer tops 75Mbps (most 67) in my area (I'm in Brixton), and I wanted at least 100M, since I have a server and other assorted gimmicks going on.

I honestly don't want to be their client, but I decided to wait. However, I've been thinking: I don't know what they are actually doing, there might be some workings underway to improve the equipment so they have extra capacity or it may very well be that they're waiting for someone to leave VM so they get some capacity back, and seeing all the Wireless APs starting with "VM" in my building I doubt that will be anytime soon.

For the time being, I bought 4G equipment to at least have internet, but it's 10-15 Mbps...

My questions are:

1. Have you had similar experiences with VM when setting up, or know something about it?

2. Do you think they are taking the piss and I should leave them and resign myself with 75 Mbps or wait until they get it done, knowing it may take 2 months?

Thanks!
imanolbarba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2019, 15:39   #2
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media setup nightmare

Perhaps, a case of "Better the devil you know" You could take a monthly contract with PULSE8 BROADBAND: https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 19:46   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

VM are notorious for over subscribing areas where there are known capacity issues so as much as I would like to think they are waiting for some planned relief work to happen before they add any new customers I doubt it is the case.
If there is an issue, especially with over subscription, there should be a fault reference for it which you can keep track of progress wise. If I were you I would ring back and make a complaint, explain the history and politely tell them you want to know why there has been a delay and when they plan to get you up and running.

As you mentioned that you live in a building with other wireless access points detected (perhaps a block of flats) I am wondering if the reason is more technical and perhaps they have filled the number of ports available in the cabinet/box for your building? This is the kind of thing you need to ask so at least you understand whether or not there is a possibility of you being connected at all and if you need to look elsewhere.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 22:56   #4
imanolbarba
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
VM are notorious for over subscribing areas where there are known capacity issues so as much as I would like to think they are waiting for some planned relief work to happen before they add any new customers I doubt it is the case.
If there is an issue, especially with over subscription, there should be a fault reference for it which you can keep track of progress wise. If I were you I would ring back and make a complaint, explain the history and politely tell them you want to know why there has been a delay and when they plan to get you up and running.

As you mentioned that you live in a building with other wireless access points detected (perhaps a block of flats) I am wondering if the reason is more technical and perhaps they have filled the number of ports available in the cabinet/box for your building? This is the kind of thing you need to ask so at least you understand whether or not there is a possibility of you being connected at all and if you need to look elsewhere.
Believe me, I've tried to get ANYTHING from them, the nature of the issue, a quote as to when will it be ready, etc. I've called like maybe 3-4 times total and always the same story: "We don't know when will it be done" and "I don't know what's the exact issue", which is extremely frustrating, because I don't even know if they will set me up by 2019 even...

I even tried to get them to tell me if there was something I could do to speed it up, like if it was access to the building or something I could be there I dunno, but nothing, they always come back with empty replies...
Old 16-01-2019, 23:17   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

My response to them would be "i appreciate that you dont have any additional information and you can only read what is on your screen so can you transfer me to somebody who can help me. Somebody has to physicalky put that information on your system and they woukdnt have done it without a good reason so i would like to speak to somebody in that department who can tell me when i can receive your services unless you are telling me that Virgin Media are refusing to accept new customers".
Old 17-01-2019, 01:19   #6
imanolbarba
Inactive

I'll speak to them tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks!
Old 17-01-2019, 13:14   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
much as I would like to think they are waiting for some planned relief work to happen before they add any new customers I doubt it is the case.
That is exactly what has happened. New customers can't be added in the OP's area until some capacity upgrades are done at the hubsite. (I've already PMed them with more details)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 13:49   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Great, it is always good to get a definitive answer so you know where you stand.
Old 17-01-2019, 18:33   #9
imanolbarba
Inactive

Yeah, looks like it won't be done next week as I already knew, but at least now I know that something is going on, which is comforting.

I'll probably keep waiting.
Old 17-01-2019, 19:15   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanolbarba View Post
I'll probably keep waiting.
I wouldn't if they cant give you a fix date. These things have been known to take 9 months - 1 year
Old 21-01-2019, 20:26   #11
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I had a similar experience when I moved to a new build last year. It was remarkably similar - any day now for months before the connection was finally set up.

Anyway, I got a NowTV connection while waiting for Virgin to sort their crap out. They do a rolling contract so it tided me over. Be a lot better than your 4G.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 22:09   #12
imanolbarba
Inactive

Quote:
I wouldn't if they cant give you a fix date. These things have been known to take 9 months - 1 year
Yeah, I know, but I want a connection of at least 100M, and after spiderplant's explanation of the situation I think they'll be able to sort it out in a reasonable time.
Old 21-01-2019, 22:18   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Well unless spiderplant or VM can give you a realistic time frame of when it is going to happen i wouldnt hold my breath.

Kush was given a guaranteed date last year and there was absolutely no reason why he shouldnt have been connected on thst date but it came and went, and time went on, and on and on and he got nothing but excuses from VM with no resolution. He was left in limbo so while he was waiting for things to be sorted he got a temp connection which i think was 37mbits a for a couple of months. Obviously the speed wasnt great but the quality and the performance of the line was. For the most part he was able to carry on with his day to day stuff as normal while he waited for VM to pull theur finger out.
Old 27-01-2019, 13:14   #14
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Yup, I actually got 80mbit as the new build had clean, new copper cabling but it was definitely enough to tide me over.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote