Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 15-10-2020, 19:03   #10066
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good luck watching them down the pub if you're a Liverpool or Everton fan and live in the region, with its non-food pubs closed and one temporarily renamed.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2020, 19:15   #10067
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Somewhat ironic that the football fans in the thread express concern and the non-football fan who wants to see rights costs driven up and further splintered has no issue with it.
And not at all ironic that you are twisting it again. I said nothing of the sort. Read it again.

Are you disputing that what I set out in my last post was correct? I was simply trying to clarify the argument. The choice appears to be:

1. Watch these additional televised matches on PPV.

2. Go to the pub (if it’s open in your area) and watch there.

3. Do the same as you would had the PPV matches not been made available ie miss the matches and make do with your usual Sky Sports/BT Sports/ Amazon subscriptions.

Is that not a correct summary?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:25   #10068
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Not necessarily. Sky/BT could drop games depending on quotas to let more attractive games go to PPV - I presume as it's their platforms they get a cut. It also allows them to trial market testing of pay per view football.

Either way, it's not the straightforward innocuous gift from the Premier League to customers you portray it to be. It's very much a Trojan horse, as boxing fans will testify.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 19:29   #10069
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not necessarily. Sky/BT could drop games depending on quotas to let more attractive games go to PPV - I presume as it's their platforms they get a cut. It also allows them to trial market testing of pay per view football.

Either way, it's not the straightforward innocuous gift from the Premier League to customers you portray it to be. It's very much a Trojan horse, as boxing fans will testify.
Neither Sky nor BT have said they are doing that. Until it actually happens I will regard that as a conspiracy theory.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that theory is incorrect!
Old 15-10-2020, 20:12   #10070
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Neither Sky nor BT have said they are doing that. Until it actually happens I will regard that as a conspiracy theory.

Of course, that doesn’t mean that theory is incorrect!
I'm thinking it's the thin edge of the wedge.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 22:12   #10071
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I'm afraid I'm with Mad Max and jfman on this one. People need to avoid the PPV matches and make do with the radio to avoid the balance of future TV rights tipping in favour of PPV.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 22:18   #10072
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I would hope the plentiful games on TV - almost every week being a Champions League week for example - means the “average viewer” who maybe watches a few games a week avoids it and it gets the low thousands (pretty much season ticket holders).
Old 15-10-2020, 22:23   #10073
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

PPV matches were shown the red card by fans when Sky previously tried it. I suspect history will repeat itself.
Old 16-10-2020, 15:13   #10074
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
PPV matches were shown the red card by fans when Sky previously tried it. I suspect history will repeat itself.

Hopefully, you are correct.

I for one commit to not paying for PPV football matches (or boxing for that matter)
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 15:29   #10075
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Hopefully, you are correct.

I for one commit to not paying for PPV football matches (or boxing for that matter)
That goes for me too 100%!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:02   #10076
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Dazn going linear in Germany

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...ls-application
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:09   #10077
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Costs virtually nothing to extend coverage to the major pay-tv platforms. Completely unsurprising.

Incidentally is this not what Eleven Sports tried to do in their death throes? Just conscious of the precarious nature of DAZNs financial situation.

Last edited by jfman; 16-10-2020 at 19:13.
Old 16-10-2020, 19:26   #10078
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
They'd best get in quick!

Hasn't someone warned them that linear telly will be gone by 2̶0̶2̶5̶ 2̶0̶3̶0̶ 2035?
Old 16-10-2020, 21:04   #10079
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
They'd best get in quick!

Hasn't someone warned them that linear telly will be gone by 2̶0̶2̶5̶ 2̶0̶3̶0̶ 2035?
My memory is getting rather hazy in my old age but it might come to me later..
Old 17-10-2020, 00:27   #10080
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I would hope the plentiful games on TV - almost every week being a Champions League week for example - means the “average viewer” who maybe watches a few games a week avoids it and it gets the low thousands (pretty much season ticket holders).
If it is true that the ‘average viewer’ only watches one or two matches a month, PPV might be cheaper!