Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2008, 19:49   #14131
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Regarding Crime Reference Number 5253/08:

Quote:
DS Murray claimed that only public authorities are covered by RIPA and as BT are a company RIPA does not apply to them.
Just in case the attributions are needed over and above what RIPA itself states:

The Home Office have confirmed publicly that anyone can commit an offence under RIPA:
Quote:
2. RIPA provides for an offence of unlawful interception which any person, absolutely anyone, is able to commit. It also provides for lawful interception of communications.
Simon Watkin, Home Office, 21st April 2008
(Indeed it was Simon who proposed this precise wording).
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34...-post4308.html

For examples of this in practice, see the Goodman and Mulcaire case:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007...andpublishing1

and the Stanford case:
http://www.lawdit.co.uk/reading_room...20Stanford.htm
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2008, 19:59   #14132
deek72
cf.member

deek72 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the most tedious, ridiculous and pointless thread on any forum, ever.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:03   #14133
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
Long, yes. Ridiculous and pointless, no.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:07   #14134
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Well done Alex,

After listening to the calls I think it is a shocking state of affairs and it makes me very angry that the police appear to be sweeping the whole issue under the carpet, so to speak. This issue will not go away and dithering Brown and the police would do well to realise this and prompt some action. It is only a matter of time.

Seriously, it's about time the leaders of this country got off their backsides and start to help the police to protect the citizens of this country in the many ways they are not able to. Lets face it, the buck stops there!

Truthfully, I have only ever placed my cross alongside one party on any political ballot sheet in many years of voting. It will change for certain at the next opportunity I get.

I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of this indecisive bunch of people parasites who are living of the backs of the people of this nation and still want to call themselves a government.

Rant over, back to Phorm.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:08   #14135
Peter N

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek72 View Post
...and yet you had to join in

Old 15-08-2008, 20:18   #14136
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be angry with the police. You have to go higher up than that to find people to be angry with.

It is crystal clear that DS Murray does not understand RIPA, or is being told to give information that he is not comfortable with.

Look. I think this is the second best outcome. The team at Information Society and Media DG will sort this out.

They now have the following 'evidence'

A British government department which can not / will not give an opinion.
A British government agency which will not dish out punishment.
A British law enforcement establishment which refuses to investigate.

Three strikes.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:19   #14137
madslug
Inactive

madslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the roughmadslug is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
Hmm, I suspect that the original business model Phorm presented to a few ISP's may have a few flaws

I still stand by my point about PR. Even if ALL the things you mention (and a few you may have missed) are 'fixed'. If ISP's adopt Phorms's WebWise interception, their standing and PR IMHO wil only go one way and that is down down down. Is it worth that risk?
On the other hand, ISPs who reject such systems will benefit. It is so good to have a premium ADSL supply from one such ISP.

The big problem will be when the quality ISPs have thousands of people signing up with them all at once - pipes cost money and they will be needing the pipes before they have the cash flow to pay for them. (Anyone who wants to move should consider this when deciding on when to move.)

It makes much more sense for all ISPs to be conduits of data who respect their customers.

(I did not want to put everything into the list, else someone may comment in the future that all requirements have been met.)
Old 15-08-2008, 20:21   #14138
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/16745

Now I am off to work for 10 hours.

Alexander Hanff
Old 15-08-2008, 20:22   #14139
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madslug View Post
On the other hand, ISPs who reject such systems will benefit. It is so good to have a premium ADSL supply from one such ISP.

The big problem will be when the quality ISPs have thousands of people signing up with them all at once - pipes cost money and they will be needing the pipes before they have the cash flow to pay for them. (Anyone who wants to move should consider this when deciding on when to move.)

It makes much more sense for all ISPs to be conduits of data who respect their customers.

(I did not want to put everything into the list, else someone may comment in the future that all requirements have been met.)
Totally agree, and not only good sense but also common sense.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:34   #14140
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

Alex - congratulations on staying calm in the face of such hostility.
Certain institutions record phone calls for 'training purposes' - I rather hope that the recording of that one winds up in the 'how not to behave' pile :P
Old 15-08-2008, 20:46   #14141
NewsreadeR
Inactive

NewsreadeR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I will be contacting Commissioner Reding on Monday.

Alexander Hanff
Just emailed the CoL Police regarding your story, and his outrageous attitude.

http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/Contact/

Quote:
I have read this article and have to say that the Policeman's attitude is far from what I would expect, seems that my Taxes indirectly pay him and his colleagues all through out the UK

https://nodpi.org/2008/08/15/city-of...ed-to-enforce/
I chose the Professional Standards Directorate to aim my complaint at.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:48   #14142
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
http://www.p2pnet.net/story/16745

Now I am off to work for 10 hours.

Alexander Hanff
Having just listened to your first audio, I think you behaved disgracefully to be quite honest. Quite apart from whether the officer in question understands RIPA or not, there is no excuse for you trying to verbally browbeat him ('talk me down', was how he put it to you, and he's right, that's exactly what you were doing); you failed to take on board his legitimate point that you could have been just *anybody*, the police get nutters and timewasters on the phone all the time; and finally, when he stated that he was ending the call due, apparently, to your complete lack of civility towards him, it's outrageous of you to *wilfully* misinterpret his actions by stating that he was therefore refusing to discuss the issue.

It seems to me that you went out looking for something that would sound sensational on your grotty little blog and win you kudos among the phorm-hat3rz on this and other forums. You weren't talking to him and you sure as hell weren't listening to him, you were thinking only of how great it would make you sound.

The whole thing reeks of a late night, local radio telephone prank call. Except without being funny.

Bad show.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:58   #14143
NewsreadeR
Inactive

NewsreadeR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
and win you kudos among the phorm-hat3rz on this and other forums.
So you would class me as being one of these? Personally I don't give a dam about Alex and his street credibility. I do care about someone effectively spying on myself and others in my family. I take exception that someone in your shoes can say what you have just said without recourse. I hope you get the recognition that you are so blatantly after.

In fact I will nominate your post for an Oscar, because to be quite honest, it's the biggest and most over critical response I have ever seen any moderator on here perform.

And to think we get told off for baiting people.

The Policeman could have at least attempted to verify who Alex was, it's not as if Alex didn't include his phone number with the report, and afterall, the Police have CLI

All that Policeman achieved was to make the CoL Police look stupid, and incompetent - He obviously hadn't read the report whatsoever. That's of course if I am allowed to have an opinion, and not be classed (in your eyes) as an Alex's backside licker.
Old 15-08-2008, 20:58   #14144
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

What is disgraceful is a moderator posting a provocative thread knowing full well that Alex will not be around for 10 hours and will not be able to defend himself.

"grotty little blog"

Bad show indeed. Grow up man.
Old 15-08-2008, 21:03   #14145
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
What is disgraceful is a moderator posting a provocative thread knowing full well that Alex will not be around for 10 hours and will not be able to defend himself.

"grotty little blog"

Bad show indeed. Grow up man.
Not only that, but he is not the first mod to post similar remarks on this thread with apparent immunity, though I think the previous one did eventually get deleted, along with all posts discussing it.

Closed Thread