Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Still Open All Hours series confirmed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Still Open All Hours series confirmed

Old 31-01-2014, 06:33   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Still Open All Hours series confirmed

Open All Hours series confirmed.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...ries-confirmed

What are your thoughts on this as the one off this Christmas l thought was quite good.
Old 31-01-2014, 08:46   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Still Open All Hours series confirmed

I did enjoy the Still open all hours Christmas special but it just wasn't as good as the original series.

So I hope they step up the game for the new series.

Thread title updated to the full show title.
Old 31-01-2014, 09:00   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes l quite agree in that the original series with Ronnie Barker in was exceptional but the one off at Christmas was still far superior to much of what comes out nowadays l would say.
Old 31-01-2014, 11:05   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

The problem that they have is that Ronnie Barker was arguably one of the top comedians this country has ever produced. He was also arguably one of the best comic actors (if not the best). While David Jason is also an excellent actor (both serious and comic), Ronnie Barker was always going to be a hard act to follow.

Having said that, I enjoyed Still Open All Hours. OK, it wasn't a razor sharp up to the minute satire on modern society (like a lot of comedies, such as outnumbered), but neither was Open All Hours. I don't think either series was intended to be anything more than a comedy where the audience can sit down, enjoy a few jokes and not have to think about it too much.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 16:37   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The only decent thing about Still open all hours is that it was written by the shows creators so they were able to keep the humor and style of the sitcom the same.
Old 31-01-2014, 18:30   #6
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I thought it was awful to the point that I felt embarrassed that such a fine comedy actor such as David Jason would waste his time on such utter tosh.

Nevertheless it was on a par with that last ridiculous secret service spy spoof thing that he wasted his time performing in.

I guess he might need the money, if not he should consider getting a new Agent.

Personally I think he should quit while he is ahead.

Probably too late now though
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 19:00   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I thought it was awful to the point that I felt embarrassed that such a fine comedy actor such as David Jason would waste his time on such utter tosh.

Nevertheless it was on a par with that last ridiculous secret service spy spoof thing that he wasted his time performing in.

I guess he might need the money, if not he should consider getting a new Agent.

Personally I think he should quit while he is ahead.

Probably too late now though
Well he returned to it as it was a part he played in the origina series with Ronnie Barker and it was the show creators that wrote the special.

Now some may say writing it in the style of the original was a mistake as humour and comedy have moved on, but nostalgia is a curious thing. Look at the revived Birds of a Feather has been doing really well so far and keeps the comedy and scripting exactly the way it was. Works for some shows and not others it appears.
Old 01-02-2014, 17:56   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Well Birds Of A Feather has the luxury of being able to use the same cast. The scripts are good and to me it seems as though they have never been away in spite of the inevitable ageing.

With Still Open All Hours, regrettably the Star of the original show has passed away. David Jason, for all his comic genius, has failed, lamentably, to step into Ronnie Barkers footprints. I would imagine the same would happen to anyone who tried to do the same with David's Delboy character.

I particularly didn't like David Jason's attempt to emulate Arkwright with the silly stuttering and even the tired old dysfunctional till joke.

I never like the original series anyway, I found it depressing for some reason and always groaned inwardly when it came on.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote