Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Benefits Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Benefits Street

Old 16-01-2014, 21:49   #16
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Re: Benefits Street

I believe the child bride has had a baby.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2014, 22:14   #17
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I drove through that road last Saturday. I saw white Dee.

there's a fund set up to raise some money to buy her a bra.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 22:35   #18
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Watched the first 2 episodes today. Didn't find it upsetting, in fact found it to be quite interesting and educational. I didn't know that lining your bag with tin foil should/could evade rfid tags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What are you planning to do with that information then?
thing is it will give others ideas. If they want a educational program for shoplifters and criminals they are going the right way
Old 16-01-2014, 23:34   #19
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
thing is it will give others ideas. If they want a educational program for shoplifters and criminals they are going the right way

could not agree more

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Watched the first 2 episodes today. Didn't find it upsetting, in fact found it to be quite interesting and educational. I didn't know that lining your bag with tin foil should/could evade rfid tags.
What I found upsetting is how the little children had to live what does child aid say no child should live in poverty...
Old 18-01-2014, 08:20   #20
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No scandal has been more successfully covered up than the appalling truth about what happens to Britain’s poorest people. We have, as a country, grown used to pretending they don’t exist; we shovel them off to edge-of-town housing estates and pay them to stay there in economic exile. We give them welfare for the foreseeable future, and wish them luck in their drug-addled welfare ghettos. This is our country’s dirty little secret, which has just been exposed by a devastating Channel*4 documentary. And the left are furious.

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...-dirty-secret/
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 10:58   #21
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/...-dirty-secret/
That was a good article and I think he is mostly right. However I think he misrepresents the view of those on the left.

They would say it's a case of further demonisation of those on benefits rather than a serious examination of social injustice. I guess whose right depends on if you view the residents of Benefit Street as victims of economics or if you view them as lazy scourgers. It's highlighted by the fact the reaction to show has mostly been anger on either side. Either people are angry at the people in the show or angry at those who made it. Thoughtful reflections on the show or the situation it depicts, Fraser Nelson aside, are few and far between.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 15:55   #22
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

I see them as Victims and the only winners here are the people making a documentary about them, I hope with the profit they make out this programme they help them in some way I doubt it though...
Old 18-01-2014, 16:35   #23
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
I see them as Victims and the only winners here are the people making a documentary about them, I hope with the profit they make out this programme they help them in some way I doubt it though...

If people aren't prepared to help themselves i don't see why they should keep getting handouts and extra help
Old 18-01-2014, 17:18   #24
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
If people aren't prepared to help themselves i don't see why they should keep getting handouts and extra help
You sound like my husband he beliefs in what you are saying, I just felt a tad sorry for them especially the little kids, but I know what you mean as my eldest son is at uni and has to works part time in Sainsburys to put himself through his course as he is entitled to nothing and I mean nothing no dental treatment etc but he has been brought up to expect nothing for nothing so I totally get your point and it is a
Old 18-01-2014, 23:39   #25
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That was a good article and I think he is mostly right. However I think he misrepresents the view of those on the left.

They would say it's a case of further demonisation of those on benefits rather than a serious examination of social injustice. I guess whose right depends on if you view the residents of Benefit Street as victims of economics or if you view them as lazy scourgers. It's highlighted by the fact the reaction to show has mostly been anger on either side. Either people are angry at the people in the show or angry at those who made it. Thoughtful reflections on the show or the situation it depicts, Fraser Nelson aside, are few and far between.
What gave me pause for thought is that they edited out the only working couple..The reasoning being that one of them was a benefit officer.Seems a poor reason to me unless the producers had an agenda or couldn't sell the programme as it was edited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-25750475
Old 19-01-2014, 17:43   #26
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I did not know that, food for thought as WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT
Old 19-01-2014, 18:14   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Because (perhaps), the benefits officers recorded comments could reflect badly upon his views on claimants or his employers, which can be a dismissable offence in some companies.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 18:23   #28
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Because (perhaps), the benefits officers recorded comments could reflect badly upon his views on claimants or his employers, which can be a dismissable offence in some companies.
Well that's why you have editors and producers..It certainly would have been nice to have some 'balance' of a working couple to provide a contrast.
Old 19-01-2014, 18:57   #29
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I think it would have been good if they filmed the working couple it would have been good to see what they thought of the street they lived in and generally give there point of view...
Old 19-01-2014, 19:32   #30
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

The main criticism of the program is that there is no context,no balance and no examination of how people ended up like they are in the street.Basically it is just a peep show